GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Programming Used Smart Key (Fob)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 08:35 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just called a local Locksmith and they told me you can't program a Lexus remote that has already been programmed. They said the remote has been "burned" so it can't be reprogrammed.They want to sell me a new one for $350!! I tried calling other Locksmiths in my area and they all referred me to the first guy I called saying he's the only one in the area that programs Lexus remotes.THIS IS INSANE.Every day that passes I get more nervous that I will lose the only remote I have and it will cost me thousands. I'm ready to just spread my butt cheeks and buy a new one from Lexus.

Last edited by LenniePaz; 01-23-12 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-23-12, 10:49 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

call multiple dealers. it can be done
Old 01-23-12, 10:53 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
call multiple dealers. it can be done
Lexus dealers? Or do you mean locksmiths?
Old 01-23-12, 10:56 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

lexus dealers. the keys can be reprogrammed as mentioned in this thread. i know i mentioned this in your other thread but it all depends on the dealer. some dealers will do it while other will say it cant be done because it is a pita to do but it is possible. call Wilkie up on the mainline. thats where ive always went and never had problems. plus a tech that works there is a member on another forum im on and he's pretty good.
Old 01-23-12, 10:59 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
lexus dealers. the keys can be reprogrammed as mentioned in this thread. i know i mentioned this in your other thread but it all depends on the dealer. some dealers will do it while other will say it cant be done because it is a pita to do but it is possible. call Wilkie up on the mainline. thats where ive always went and never had problems. plus a tech that works there is a member on another forum im on and he's pretty good.
That's where I went. I know the Service Manager too, and they couldn't get it to work. Are you saying that Wilkie Lexus programmed a used remote that was programmed to another vehicle?Think you can talk to him for me and maybe he can give it a shot if I take it back there?

Last edited by LenniePaz; 01-23-12 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 10:57 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same issue with Lexus. I had a old smart key from my old Lexus IS. I brought a new IS. I wanted to have that key programmed so I would have an extra key. I was told by Lexus about this proxy computer. Lexus can reset it. But they urge customers not to. Here's why. Lexus has a unique ID in this proxy computer, which they have stored in their corporate database. This is so, when you completely lose all your keys or your away lets say on vacation and you lost your key fob they can overnight a new one to you wherever you are that is pre-programed to your specific car so you can be on your way. Once you reset this computer then this can't be done. Anyway that is what my Lexus dealer said.
Old 01-24-12, 11:05 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I once tried to "flush" out my old smart key via EMP. This is easily found in every home in america...the Microwave. I figured if I could EMP the smary key it would wipe the chip clean and it would be like the smart key was never programed. Well......

This is a DO AT YOUR OWN RISK OPTION!!!

I place the chip in the smart key alone (no battery) in the microwave. Placed the Microwave on for 2 seconds. Key still worked but I couldn't really tell if it was so called "flushed". Since my closest Lexus dealer is 2+ hours away it was hard to test this theory. So I proceeded to microwave my smart key chip. This time 5 seconds....poof after a few sparks....dead smart key.

Took the dead key to the Lexus...hey it doesn't work anymore...

Long story short, Lexus 4yr/50k warranty, new key for my Lexus!!!
Old 01-25-12, 05:27 PM
shytown350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i went to lexus with 2 used fobs. they couldnt program it. couldnt even erase it to reprogram. im gonna break down and buy one from lexus. DONT NOT go to lexus of Pembroke Pines, FL...STEALERSHIP!!!!!!!!. they wanted $223 just for the fob, $65 for key. program NOT included. then i call North Miami Lexus, $194 for fob, $34 for key. but then i see it on Sewell for $127. i emailed them and they said it is new, hasnt been programmed. what to do? buy from north miami or Sewell.
Old 01-25-12, 05:47 PM
GS430nCool
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
So I once tried to "flush" out my old smart key via EMP. This is easily found in every home in america...the Microwave. I figured if I could EMP the smary key it would wipe the chip clean and it would be like the smart key was never programed. Well......

This is a DO AT YOUR OWN RISK OPTION!!!

I place the chip in the smart key alone (no battery) in the microwave. Placed the Microwave on for 2 seconds. Key still worked but I couldn't really tell if it was so called "flushed". Since my closest Lexus dealer is 2+ hours away it was hard to test this theory. So I proceeded to microwave my smart key chip. This time 5 seconds....poof after a few sparks....dead smart key.

Took the dead key to the Lexus...hey it doesn't work anymore...

Long story short, Lexus 4yr/50k warranty, new key for my Lexus!!!
That, my friend is just one hell-uv-a funny story Where in the world did you get the idea a microwave would even come close to doing an EMP??? but I just love the result and I'm glad you didn't ruin your microwave in the process!!
Old 01-26-12, 08:49 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Another trip to the dealer and it still won't work. They reset the proximity computer and my original key reprogrammed with no problems but it still won't recognize the used key. All the numbers match and the battery is good. I ended up just buying a new remote. I'm tired of wasting my time with a used key, it's not worth it.
Old 01-26-12, 11:01 AM
GS430nCool
Rookie

Originally Posted by LenniePaz
Another trip to the dealer and it still won't work. They reset the proximity computer and my original key reprogrammed with no problems but it still won't recognize the used key. All the numbers match and the battery is good. I ended up just buying a new remote. I'm tired of wasting my time with a used key, it's not worth it.
Bummer -- we were all hoping there would be more options. You got this (used) one off eBay, right? Any chance the guy would take it back?
Old 01-26-12, 11:09 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS430nCool
Bummer -- we were all hoping there would be more options. You got this (used) one off eBay, right? Any chance the guy would take it back?
He said he will. He had it advertised as "new" , and when it came to me, the key was cut. I emailed him immediately and told him I only bought it from him because he said it was new. I did tell him I would try my best to get it programmed,and he said if I couldn't, he would give me a refund.
Old 01-26-12, 12:08 PM
cafre
Driver School Candidate

shytown350
purchase the new blankk FOB at Sewell and take to Lexus of Kendall and they will program for 50.00
Old 02-05-12, 11:07 AM
Lexy88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shytown350
so i went to lexus with 2 used fobs. they couldnt program it. couldnt even erase it to reprogram. im gonna break down and buy one from lexus. DONT NOT go to lexus of Pembroke Pines, FL...STEALERSHIP!!!!!!!!. they wanted $223 just for the fob, $65 for key. program NOT included. then i call North Miami Lexus, $194 for fob, $34 for key. but then i see it on Sewell for $127. i emailed them and they said it is new, hasnt been programmed. what to do? buy from north miami or Sewell.
I'm also thinking of purchasing on Sewell, but I see the fob for $158.34 not $127.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2008/2704.html
Old 02-05-12, 11:10 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexy88
I'm also thinking of purchasing on Sewell, but I see the fob for $158.34 not $127.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2008/2704.html
You need to register with Sewell as a CL member first to see the discount.

Quick Reply: Programming Used Smart Key (Fob)