GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rust Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 09:49 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Problems

Hi I'm currently looking to buy a 2007 GS450h in Canada. Where the car is from it snows 3/4 of the year. Has any of the 3GS owners have problems with rusts? How does it stand in winter weather? And how much mileage do you have on your car?

The particular car I'm looking at has a pretty clean exterior, but I haven't been able to check te undercarriage and such because I'm purchasing the vehicle out of state. I did notice however that there are some rusts around the brake area, which I'm guessing is normal on cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Terry
Old 01-18-12, 09:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

rust as far as on the rotors? if so thats normal for a car that hasnt moved in a couple of days.
Old 01-18-12, 12:32 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The awd I just bought had rust on the rotors and some on the under carriage.

After I noticed it, the dealer agreed to remove what could be removed by wire brush and then spray the under carriage and repaint the rotors and calipers before I picked it up.
Old 01-18-12, 01:10 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Thank you, how much would such jobs cost to remove rust and spray undercarriag on the 3GS. As for rotors and calipers I'm guessing they will come back either way? Since I see it on a lot of cars. Will the rusts get worst if I don't remove them?

Where I live it only snows once a year and I won't take te car out. Sorry for te noobie questions, I'm new to this. Thanks again!
Old 01-18-12, 01:54 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry I don't know the costs for spraying, etc as the dealer did the work before I took delivery. Maybe someone with experience can chime in...
Old 01-19-12, 07:15 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No rust at all on my 2006 in Toronto but I have it sprayed by Krown every year.

If it's already rusting what are they "spraying" on it? Hopefully not that typical "coating" they like to sell at dealers, that will only make things worse

You're in BC? You hardly even get winter... do they even salt the roads there in the main habitations outside of the higher elevations?
Old 01-19-12, 07:22 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

if its rotor rust, its typical and theres no need to do anything. once you apply the brakes while driving, it will take care of it. if theres rust on the underside, well then thats a different story.
Old 01-19-12, 01:07 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I live in BC and it barely gets any snow, but they do salt the roads when it snows. However, the car that I am purchasing is a Calgary, Alberta car. And from what I know it snows a lot there, and they also salt the roads. I'm not able to see the underside until I get there (which I will probs then purchase the car). So worst case scenario, if there is rust undercarriage, would it be a serious problem? It's a 2007 car and will not/barely touch snow again after its driven back to BC. And it's fixable right? I just don't think a 2007 car can get too bad with rust, I'm just worried that it will get worst.
Old 01-20-12, 05:50 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

i doubt you'll have any rust if any and if so its probably just surface rust which could be cleaned off with a wire brush. the underside in the front is all covered with plastic shields anyway.
Old 01-20-12, 06:21 AM
BinaryJay

If it's very rusty underneath it might mean there is rust in more problematic areas you can't see, but if you don't see any paint bubbling around typical problem areas like the wheel wells or rocker panels then it's probably fine.

Do you have a history of the car, if it was initially a lease they probably didn't do any rust protection but if it was bought owned originally then with a car that costs that much to buy and given Alberta's climate they likely did protect it at least for a few years.
Old 01-20-12, 06:25 AM
palapinga
Rookie

we have the 2gs and 3gs and im very unsatisfied with 3gs i love my 2gs super happy with never given me problems but i have had so many with 3gs i an 01 and 07 the paint on the roof strip has peeled off the head head lamps fogged up a few recalls but very unhappy with the 3gs
Old 01-20-12, 02:33 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Thank you all for the helpful replies. The car looks flawless in pictures and a close up to the wheel wells looks very clean. All I could find was a rusted bolt close to the bottom in the front wheel well close to the door. It is right behind the wheel where everything would splash up onto from driving.

I have a car proof history but can't find if it was leased or owned. However the last owner added the 3m car bra on the front of the car, so it looks like the car was pretty well taken of.

I'll upload a picture when I get home. Btw I have put the deposit on the car, can't wait to take the delivery on my first Lexus

Terry
Old 01-20-12, 03:15 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

all that salt on the road will eventually rust most if not all cars now a day.. unless they are made entirely of Aluminum or some slit.

just make it a habit to spray off the salt when you park it at home i guess to prevent too much rusting. dunno how that will work with subzero conditions lol
Old 01-20-12, 06:48 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by vwynn
all that salt on the road will eventually rust most if not all cars now a day.. unless they are made entirely of Aluminum or some slit.

just make it a habit to spray off the salt when you park it at home i guess to prevent too much rusting. dunno how that will work with subzero conditions lol
It won't unless you have a heated garage with walls that can get wet and it's own water and sewer system. Otherwise you are just managing to turn your car into an icecube, driveway into a skating rink, and have a water pipe in your house explode in the middle of the night.
Old 01-21-12, 02:52 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Quick Reply: Rust Problems