GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Cooper Zeon RS3-A is awful. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 07:29 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooper Zeon RS3-A is awful. Now what?

Hey all,

After putting 45,000 miles on my Pilot Sport AS Plus, it was time for new tires. Now I'll say this - the Michelin was the best tire I've ever had on any vehicle, hands down, but I didn't want to spend $1200 on a new set. So, after spending days researching tires, I decided to go for the Cooper Zeon RS3-A at Discount Tire.

What a mistake. This tire ruined the ride and handling. Gone is the razor-sharp handling that the Michelin provided. Now the car feels sluggish, it feels like it's riding on bricks, there is a vibration and the tire howls. IMO, the Michelin was super quiet and smooth as glass.

I called Discount Tire (they really are great to deal with) and the manager told me he'd swap them out for whatever I wanted. Of course, the tire everybody seems to love is the Continental DWS, but I've read a ton of complaints about flat spotting and balancing problems, not to mention premature wear.

So - I'm open to suggestions. I'm pretty knowledgeable about tires but now I don't know what to get without spending $$$$ on the Michelins.

I would love to get feedback, especially from those who have the Continentals.

Thanks all, and Happy New Year.

CP
Old 12-31-11, 07:35 AM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

dont buy wanli nexen toyo cooper there are a few more no name cheap tires out there and they are just crap. buy a michelin for quality and longevity. those other tires have a lower tread wear and the Michelin will usually last 2 to 1 to any other tires. so 1200 is actually 2 sets of 600 tires minus the hassle of mounting and balancing them twice.

if you want a good low price tire try kumho or continental
Old 12-31-11, 08:06 AM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't go wrong with Michelin's, we have Pilot Sport A/S run flat's on our 450h and they're wonderful. As for the Conti's, I've had the DWS on our IS-F for about 20k miles and they're still quiet and smooth although not as tight as the OEM tires - and will probably get another 20-25k out of them.

Also, not that it will matter in Florida, I got the chance to test the DWS's in the snow this year during a surprise October snow storm and they are actually quite good in the snow.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-11, 09:45 AM
Coolpop
Driver

As much as I love the Pilot Sport AS Plus, I don't want to shell out that much money right now. Anyway, Discount Tire just called and said that they have a set of Continental Extreme DWS for me, so I'm heading over to have them installed. I'll post an update later.
Old 12-31-11, 12:45 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

I have the Coopers and they are working fine for me. Of course, just about anything is an improvement from the run flats.

One question I have, is why would you buy an all-season tire, such as the Cooper RS3-A, when you live in FL?
Old 12-31-11, 04:49 PM
Coolpop
Driver

Update: I've been driving on the Continental Extreme DWS all afternoon into the evening. The difference between these Contis and the Coopers that I had for one day are night and day, and bigger if it's possible. These Continentals are absolutely unreal. Smooth as silk, super quiet and the handling is very crisp. To me, they rival the Pilot Sport AS Plus that I had and they're half the price. LOVE these tires so far.

Moose - a fair question. I've heard that summer tires wear out very, very quickly, and most of them cost more than these Contis. I didn't want to be replacing tires every 15,000 miles when I can do it every 40,000.
Old 06-05-12, 06:54 AM
enzo9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conti DWS

Hi Coolpop,
I've been researching tires and came across the Conti DWS and your thread. I know its been awhile, but do you mind sending a status on the tires?

I've seen mixed reviews on these tires, but think they might be the right set for my IS250 (RWD).
Thanks!
Old 06-05-12, 10:20 PM
KevinM
Rookie

Glad you're happy with the Conti's, I picked up Nitto Invo's - Very happy with them (although I swapped from some really low end tire that came on my wheels). Ride is very smooth and handling is good. Good resistance against camber wear as well.

Old 06-06-12, 04:58 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My car came with a new set of DWS tires. Love them. Very quiet and handling is awesome, dry or wet.
Old 06-06-12, 06:57 AM
enzo9
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and got the DWS. Putting them on this weekend. I think they'll be perfect for my situation.
Old 12-25-12, 05:33 PM
Coolpop
Driver

***UPDATE***

23,000 miles on these Contis and I'll say they are the best tires I've ever had on any vehicle, period. They look a little less than half worn, they are still very quiet and the ride is smooth as glass. As long as I own this vehicle I will never buy another tire other than the DWS. That's how much I love em.
Old 12-25-12, 06:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Couldn't agree more.
Old 12-25-12, 07:44 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Whats size are you running them at?
Old 12-26-12, 05:19 AM
Coolpop
Driver

I just have the stock size.
Old 12-26-12, 07:30 AM
LEXGS350GT
Driver School Candidate

i also running Continental DWS for 7000 miles now , so far so good. Great tires for the money

Quick Reply: Cooper Zeon RS3-A is awful. Now what?