GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-16, 07:47 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Exhaust Leak

Last June I took my 2009 GS 350 in and they repaired an exhaust leak. I am not exactly sure of the location, but I did notice it making a low rumbling sound at low rpm's prior to the repair. About a month or so ago I noticed a scraping or rattle like noise upon acceleration around 2-2.5 rpm's which I believe to be the exhaust again due to research and the same issue I had on my 99 GS 300. I am due for service again and my appointment is on Tuesday the 18th, and I am sure the exhaust will need serviced yet again! I am not happy about this and am wondering why I would need exhaust pipe service in two consecutive visits. Did the mechanic miss a spot, or was it not done right the first time, or is the material crap? Either way, this is not what I expect with an 2009 GS 350 and I feel that this should be covered somehow. What is the deal, CL?!!?
Old 10-14-16, 10:58 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

This is common AWD with mid pipe leaking, Is your is an AWD? If so many do have exhaust leaks its due to a design flaw, on the mid pipes near the o2 sensors. You might get them on either side. The problem is the flimsy heat shield it has some funky fabric that collects water and there for the pipes begin to rust. Especially if you live somewhere where it snows, the pipes rust.

What I did was I took off all the small clamps and funky cloth off the mid pipe, I had a mufller shop sand all the rust weld the leaking holes and paint the pipes.
Old 10-14-16, 12:44 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ibidu1
This is common AWD with mid pipe leaking, Is your is an AWD? If so many do have exhaust leaks its due to a design flaw, on the mid pipes near the o2 sensors. You might get them on either side. The problem is the flimsy heat shield it has some funky fabric that collects water and there for the pipes begin to rust. Especially if you live somewhere where it snows, the pipes rust.

What I did was I took off all the small clamps and funky cloth off the mid pipe, I had a mufller shop sand all the rust weld the leaking holes and paint the pipes.
I do have the AWD model. If there is a design flaw causing issues for drivers, shouldn't there be a recall? Is Lexus aware of this and are they doing anything to remedy?
Old 10-14-16, 01:22 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by handzilla
I do have the AWD model. If there is a design flaw causing issues for drivers, shouldn't there be a recall? Is Lexus aware of this and are they doing anything to remedy?
The problem is mostly on northern AWD's! Where there's snow and possibly salt, that collects into the exhaust padding. Its considered a wear n tear part! I doubt lexus can do anything the part list I believe for around $1,200.00

Its really an easy fix for a muffler shop! Like I said as preventive measure so the rusting doesnt spread I would have them remove the exhaust clamps and cladding.

If you link at the first pic on the link youll see the metal cladding. I removed all of it, because rust collects inside.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iate-pipe.html
Old 10-14-16, 02:26 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ibidu1
The problem is mostly on northern AWD's! Where there's snow and possibly salt, that collects into the exhaust padding. Its considered a wear n tear part! I doubt lexus can do anything the part list I believe for around $1,200.00

Its really an easy fix for a muffler shop! Like I said as preventive measure so the rusting doesnt spread I would have them remove the exhaust clamps and cladding.

If you link at the first pic on the link youll see the metal cladding. I removed all of it, because rust collects inside.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iate-pipe.html
Are there any drawbacks to or risks associated with removing the clamps and cladding?

Crazy to think with all the people having trouble that there is still no aftermarket solution. I guess I may have to pay a trip to Meineke or Monroe.
Old 10-14-16, 02:56 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it throwing any codes? If it's a pin hole leak, I wonder if using high heat jb weld will work.
Old 10-14-16, 03:23 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by handzilla
Are there any drawbacks to or risks associated with removing the clamps and cladding?

Crazy to think with all the people having trouble that there is still no aftermarket solution. I guess I may have to pay a trip to Meineke or Monroe.
No problems with removing them
Old 10-14-16, 04:17 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gs3500
Is it throwing any codes? If it's a pin hole leak, I wonder if using high heat jb weld will work.

Nope no codes.
Old 10-19-16, 03:04 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

And so it turns out that both exhaust gaskets need to be replaced on the y-pipe for a total of $140. Not too too bad, I just hope this is the last issue I have with the exhsust. I get my car back today and look forward to not hearing that ugly sound ever again!
Old 12-28-16, 03:33 PM
illini19
Rookie

Had the same issue with my 2008 GS350 AWD. Dealer said they were leaks at both sides where the heat shield was. Said it was a problem with a lot of AWD's. Told me instead of spending the $1800 to replace, have a muffler shop either weld or cut and weld new pipe on it. I have a buddy in the city who does exactly that and he did it today for me. No more leaks. Now I just have to figure out how to get that "check vsc" message off. I disconnected the battery and have been letting it sit for a while so we will see in a bit when I connect it back.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Leak-lexusgs350.jpg  
Old 12-29-16, 06:43 AM
hzack801
Driver School Candidate

I've been hearing what I presume to be this very issue, knowing that it was a problem. I'm ignoring it for the time being as I'll eventually get a whole new setup down there.