GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 09:10 PM
lexomatical
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 issues

please help if anyone knows got this lexus stuck in my shop, 08 gs350, was testing vehicle after ecu replacement, recoded vin and align the sytem, got key working and all looked great, i tested the igntion on and off a few times and on the 3rd time i turned it off, after that no response like cluster went ghost, no messages on dash , just door light when opened, all fuses were clean and tested, relays checked too, battery is fully charged at supply 14.5v no comm ecu, no igntion, seats move only, interior light work, hazard lights work, headlight work, when switched to parking, only backlight light up for nav buttons and trunk/gas illuminate green. green light on switch turns on only if i switch lights on. the cluster does not light up at all, i can send power to ignition fuse 10amp first one in row and lights up the dash with tester power applied. everything was working just fine. felt like last time i turned ignition off, steering retracted back and flet like it didnt go all the way in and just shut down. after that i got no response , i was able to scan the immobilizer and found no errors there, showed key in the sytem, but i cant access pcm. brake lights also work. really got me stumped, also replace the ignitio starter switch, car just hit 100k miles.
Old 01-06-24, 11:38 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

What was the reason for removing the original ecu? Do you still have the original ecu to the car, if so they are repairable. There are companies who can test and repair for $180

The new ecu that you replaced was it brand new? Im not sure how lexus ecu's operate, but many vehicle companies wont allow used ecu's unless special software is used.

Old 01-08-24, 07:16 PM
lexomatical
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ibidu1
What was the reason for removing the original ecu? Do you still have the original ecu to the car, if so they are repairable. There are companies who can test and repair for $180

The new ecu that you replaced was it brand new? Im not sure how lexus ecu's operate, but many vehicle companies wont allow used ecu's unless special software is used.

ecm was used,, using autel im608 with j box, i was able to change the vin and program it to the vehicle and encode the keys, the original ecm was bad, because no check light on when ignition on, so we sent it out to SIA electronics to be fixed, when we got it back, still no check engine light on dash, also they are so bad at there work, b4 i sent out the pcm, i saw a burnt transistor so i took pictures of it for the customer, when they got it at SIA, they said nothing is wrong with it, so i sent them pictures and they said ok let me send it back to there tech, so they fixed it and sent it, it never worked, i was always still thinking the pcm was bad, so i went to a yard and found the same numbers, hooked it up and the check engine light lit up, after encoding and programming, car ran great, i did a few cycles of on and off ignition to test out. and thats when this ghost situation happened out of no where, crazyyyyy
Old 01-09-24, 10:04 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexomatical
ecm was used,, using autel im608 with j box, i was able to change the vin and program it to the vehicle and encode the keys, the original ecm was bad, because no check light on when ignition on, so we sent it out to SIA electronics to be fixed, when we got it back, still no check engine light on dash, also they are so bad at there work, b4 i sent out the pcm, i saw a burnt transistor so i took pictures of it for the customer, when they got it at SIA, they said nothing is wrong with it, so i sent them pictures and they said ok let me send it back to there tech, so they fixed it and sent it, it never worked, i was always still thinking the pcm was bad, so i went to a yard and found the same numbers, hooked it up and the check engine light lit up, after encoding and programming, car ran great, i did a few cycles of on and off ignition to test out. and thats when this ghost situation happened out of no where, crazyyyyy
The only thing I can think of is maybe one of the modules didnt get reprogrammed and that probably locked out the ecu as a security fail safe? Worst case, take it to the dealer and have them reprogram the new/used ecu.

What was the reason for the ecu going bad, did the owner tried to jump start it backwards? GS ecu's are generally good with no common issues.

SIA are usually good at repairing ecu's but their main bread n butter is the 2006 GS with the faulty transmission issues. Im thinking maybe when they opened your ecu, they only checked out the transmission module.
Old 01-09-24, 08:27 PM
lexomatical
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ibidu1
The only thing I can think of is maybe one of the modules didnt get reprogrammed and that probably locked out the ecu as a security fail safe? Worst case, take it to the dealer and have them reprogram the new/used ecu.

What was the reason for the ecu going bad, did the owner tried to jump start it backwards? GS ecu's are generally good with no common issues.

SIA are usually good at repairing ecu's but their main bread n butter is the 2006 GS with the faulty transmission issues. Im thinking maybe when they opened your ecu, they only checked out the transmission module.
i totally get what u mean, i used SIA b4 for other ecus, they also failed me for a repair previously for a 2013 ford f150 pcm repair, that was no good. i think the main point is, ignition can be turned on with push button even without a pcm connected, just will not have a check engine light on with ignition on. so not being able to get ignition on just blows, when the ecm was replaced and coded and vehicle started up a few times with no problem. just testing key proximity check in the vehicle, and thats when it went ghost. oh well, i still bet its the id code box behind the dash that went bad, i just dont think the customer wants to have the dash removed to access that little sucker
Old 01-10-24, 02:31 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

If you have another scanner, or maybe borrow another scanner off someone. See about rewriting that ecu!

Ive had an incident with a bmw motorcycle (there like bmw cars) I swapped out the dash display to a used unit and that needed vin and reprogramming. I took it to a dealer they tried programming it and werent able to program it. They wanted to charge me $3,000 for a new display. I took it to a shop that specializes in bmw programming. They tried 4 different scanners, 3 were unsuccessful but thankfully the 4th got the job done. One of the scanner was a $10,000 autel scanner he told me they pay a yearly subscription to bmw just to get software updates.