GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Key locked inside car... disable AutoLock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 03:36 PM
kathryn91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key locked inside car... disable AutoLock?

Hi there!

First of all, let me say I love my 2006 GS 300.

Second of all, I hate the AutoLock feature. It's the only thing I dislike about the car. I completely understand the purpose, and I know it is not supposed to lock while the key is inside the car. but... it does and has (5 times over 3 years). I have even had to call AAA because it was locked inside the car and I was out of state traveling so didn't have my spare. It did it again today.. with me in the car this time (I turned the ignition off but was still sitting in the car)!

As I said, I understand that the doors are not supposed to lock with the key inside ... and the issue might be that it's inside my purse and the key battery is low or that there is interference. So, I know I can solve it by being careful where I place the key, change the battery (which I've done), etc....but....

I'm looking for a way to disable it. I just want to turn off the AutoLock feature that makes the doors lock if the key isn't detected. Is there any way to do that?

My local dealer told me it isn't.... a dealer in another state (I stopped in to ask) told me it was.... so I'm hoping maybe there is a very savvy person here that has figured a way to DISABLE it.

Thank you so much...
Old 11-17-11, 09:36 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kathryn91
I just want to turn off the AutoLock feature that makes the doors lock if the key isn't detected.
Are you saying your 3GS locks itself when the key is not detected? I've never heard of that feature.
Old 11-18-11, 01:41 PM
kathryn91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Are you saying your 3GS locks itself when the key is not detected? I've never heard of that feature.
Yes, it locks itself when the key isn't detected (or that's what I've been told - that it's because the key isn't being detected). Here are 2 examples:

1) I got in my car, put my purse in the passenger seat and realized I left something in the house... I got out and closed the driver door and when I came back, I was locked out (key in purse on car seat). Naturally this happened when I was on vacation so had to have AAA come open it.

2) Yesterday I got in my car, and was sitting in it (I had not turned on the ignition) and the doors locked with me (and the key) in it.

I've been told it's not supposed to do that, but it's happened about 6 times in 3 years so clearly it's doing it. I've been told it could be the purse (which it might be but I've been carrying the purse for probably 10 months and the doors have only locked a few times).... or a low battery....and I've gotten to the point that I don't dare leave my purse in the car with the doors closed for more than 15 seconds (not even to walk from the passenger side to driver side) because it might lock me out..

So even if one of those are the problem (low battery or remote key wireless interference), I really want to disable this feature..... and am remaining hopeful that some person might be able to help with some ideas. Please?
Old 11-18-11, 03:52 PM
arnieosp
Racer

3GS does not have this feature. Another discussion here. And another one.

But regardless, I would start with replacing the battery in the fob. That's the cheapest and easiest thing to do. If the problem persists, you'll at least rule out a weak battery.

Last edited by arnieosp; 11-18-11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-18-11, 04:12 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would you want to disable that feature, When I want that feature for my car and I dont even know how.
Old 11-18-11, 07:48 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

it would be strange that the car auto-locks itself the second the car is off, but if you sat in the car for a while (say, talking on the phone) and the car auto-locks, then that's not strange. Since there's still not any resolution to your problem yet, might want to take it up with a service dealer?
Old 11-19-11, 01:34 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an aftermarket alarm maybe I never heard of this feature for a GS
Old 11-19-11, 02:14 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is possible, but can your remote be pressing against something in your purse which is activating the lock button on the remote?
Old 11-19-11, 02:38 PM
kathryn91
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much to everyone for responding...I really appreciate the help. I know I'm not crazy (grin) and it's happened enough times that I know it's not an accident. I have also seen it mentioned in other threads and websites so I know I'm not the only one that it's happened to.

** Updated - OKay, I tested it out and was able to reproduce a situation that simulated the situation. It almost acts as if the car was unlocked but the door was not opened in time to avoid setting off door lock. Here's what I did:

- Locked doors by pushing the button on the door handle (hear the beep locking the doors and red solid security light is on)
- Re-opened doors by opening door handle (double beep and door is open)
- Closed doors and walked away so that the key is out of range
- The doors locked within 30 seconds

This is exactly what has happened with my purse *inside the car* .. as I mentioned above, a few days ago I unlocked the car, got in it, put my purse (with key) on passenger seat but didn't start ignition and about 30 seconds later the doors locked... almost as if I never opened the door after unlocking it.

I know that keeping a strong battery in the remote might help (not sure though if the car doesn't think I've opened the door after unlocking it) and I can't be sure that this won't happen again (as I said, it's already happened about 6 times) so I would never trust to leave my purse with the key in the car UNLESS I'm able to disable that feature... which brings me back to my original question... is there a way to turn off the 30 second automatic door lock?

Answers to a couple of your responses:

Arnieosp: Thank you for the links to the other threads - I read through them and it seems like a few others have had a similar situation. Maybe I have a different car than a 3rd generation? I have a 2006 GS 300... not sure how to determine what generation. Here's one answer that suggests that it might be possible to set it to OFF (but hope someone can verify that it's possible with my car - this is in reference to 08 gs350):

Originally Posted by ivanz
Yes, its in the manual. It's called "automatic door lock" or similar which can be set by the dealer.
values possible: Off /30 / 60 (default factory setting) / 120.
can you confirm if you are looking at page 570 on customizable settings (08 gs350 manual)?

if so, then that's the setting for when the car is unlocked but no door open. the exact description is

"time elapsed before automatic door lock function is activated if door is not opened after being unlocked". default is 60, and you can set it to off, 30, or 120.

XxGoKoUxX: I have taken it to a dealer.. .. they look at me like I'm crazy because the car *shouldn't* do it and they said it can't be turned off (but not sure they really researched it).

JH48: Why I want to disable it is because it has locked me out of my car with the key in it... and I don't want to have to keep calling AAA.

Mr3GS300: It's not an aftermarket alarm... the car was bought at a Lexus dealer and has never been taken anywhere else. Nice thought though!

Thanks again to everyone taking the time to respond....
Old 11-19-11, 02:43 PM
kathryn91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moose66
Not sure if this is possible, but can your remote be pressing against something in your purse which is activating the lock button on the remote?
Great question Moose but I highly doubt it because the purse wasn't moved after it was set down on the seat so unless it set off something with a delay, I would think I would hear the doors lock immediately.
Old 11-19-11, 05:57 PM
arnieosp
Racer

I wonder if your car doesn't register somehow that after you unlocked the door, you physically opened it, and it acts like the door was never opened, so it re-locks it after 30 seconds.

Maybe the door lock is on its way out, or the door lock computer? Otherwise, I do not believe it a be disabled.

here is the list of what can be changed:
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/GS_LPS.pdf

Last edited by arnieosp; 11-19-11 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 08:06 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you so much to everyone for responding...I really appreciate the help. I know I'm not crazy (grin) and it's happened enough times that I know it's not an accident. I have also seen it mentioned in other threads and websites so I know I'm not the only one that it's happened to.

** Updated - OKay, I tested it out and was able to reproduce a situation that simulated the situation. It almost acts as if the car was unlocked but the door was not opened in time to avoid setting off door lock. Here's what I did:

- Locked doors by pushing the button on the door handle (hear the beep locking the doors and red solid security light is on)
- Re-opened doors by opening door handle (double beep and door is open)
- Closed doors and walked away so that the key is out of range
- The doors locked within 30 seconds

This is exactly what has happened with my purse *inside the car* .. as I mentioned above, a few days ago I unlocked the car, got in it, put my purse (with key) on passenger seat but didn't start ignition and about 30 seconds later the doors locked... almost as if I never opened the door after unlocking it.

Regarding your simulation:
Your door latch may need some lube. Your door opening could have not trigger the door latch.
That would automatically lock the door after 30 seconds or whatever the time set. You can try to disable the auto lock feature by setting the time to OFF and see if it still happens.

You did your simulation when the key was not in the car. Right?
The car wouldn't let you lock the door when the key is inside.
EVEN if the car locked the doors when the key was inside, you still can come and Re-open doors by opening door handle (double beep and door is open). This is one of the cases (case 2) I tested below the other day.

With the car key inside:
Case 1:
1. Lock doors by pushing the button on the door handle(s). The car won't let you. Double warning beeps.

Case 2:
With all doors unlocked (inside lock button shows RED for all doors), open the driver door, lock all doors using the master door lock switch, and close the door. All doors are now lock. But still can unlock the doors by opening the door handles.

Case 3:
1. Lock all doors.
2. Unlock the drive door side only. Other 3 doors are still locked.
3. Open the driver door, lock the driver door by inside lock button, then close the driver door. All doors are automatically unlocked in 2 seconds.

Case 4: This case is intersting. But there is a way to work around it.
1. Lock all doors.
2. Unlock all doors.
3. Open the driver door, lock the driver door by inside lock button, then close the driver door.
4. Now you lock yourself out of the driver door. But still can open other 3 doors.

In other words, I cannot lock myself out when the car detects there is a key inside.
My car is 07GS350AWD.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 11-19-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 09:13 PM
kathryn91
Driver School Candidate

Chuck,

Thanks for taking the time... I've responded in red. One thing I have not mentioned and I don't know if it makes a difference but I have the keyless ignition feature.

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Regarding your simulation:
Your door latch may need some lube. Your door opening could have not trigger the door latch.
That would automatically lock the door after 30 seconds or whatever the time set. You can try to disable the auto lock feature by setting the time to OFF and see if it still happens.

The door latch needing lube is a possibilitiy. The 2nd part about disabling the auto lock feature by setting the time to OFF would be wonderful if I could do it and it would fix the problem.

You did your simulation when the key was not in the car. Right?
Yes, my simulation did not have the key in the car because I didn't want to spend a lot of time in the cold trying to re-create the problem... but having it lock with the key inside is the problem... and it happened 2 days ago (see my #2 below... and that time the key was in the car).

The car wouldn't let you lock the door when the key is inside.
It will lock with the key inside.. I promise, I'm not crazy! My first post with the examples above gives more details but here are just two.... 1) my purse with the key inside was locked in my car and I could not open the doors - pulling the door handles open had no response and 2) it locked the doors with me inside the car (with my purse with the key in my purse) so trust me, it does lock with the key inside. I know it's not supposed to be.. but it does! Those are just 2 examples.

EVEN if the car locked the doors when the key was inside, you still can come and Re-open doors by opening door handle (double beep and door is open). This is one of the cases (case 2) I tested below the other day.
I wasn't able to do that in example 1... when I left the purse in the car and went back into the house.. came back outside and the key (in the purse) was IN the car and the doors were locked and I wasn't able to unlock the doors by pulling on the door handle. Thank goodness for AAA... they saved me.

With the car key inside:
Case 1:
1. Lock doors by pushing the button on the door handle(s). The car won't let you. Double warning beeps.
This is what is supposed to happen, and is almost always what does happen.... when the key is inside, the door won't lock. So the feature does work 99% of the time like it's supposed to.

Case 2:
With all doors unlocked (inside lock button shows RED for all doors), open the driver door, lock all doors using the master door lock switch, and close the door. All doors are now lock. But still can unlock the doors by opening the door handles.
Yes, this is usually what I do (when the key is in range... in my simulation when the key wasn't in range it obviously wouldn't unlock).

Case 3:
1. Lock all doors.
2. Unlock the drive door side only. Other 3 doors are still locked.
3. Open the driver door, lock the driver door by inside lock button, then close the driver door. All doors are automatically unlocked in 2 seconds.

Case 4: This case is intersting. But there is a way to work around it.
1. Lock all doors.
2. Unlock all doors.
3. Open the driver door, lock the driver door by inside lock button, then close the driver door.
4. Now you lock yourself out of the driver door. But still can open other 3 doors.

In other words, I cannot lock myself out when the car detects there is a key inside.
My car is 07GS350AWD.
It doesn't happen 99% of the time so it would be very hard to recreate.. maybe if you bury the key inside something that would block the interference it would do it... I didn't spend a lot of time trying to re-create it today beyond the simulation (I just wanted to see what would happen if I unlocked/opened the door and shut it and walked away with the key.. it autolocked in 30 seconds..

I think you and arnieosp might be onto something - if somehow the door opening is not being registered .... that would explain why it occasionally locks with the key inside...if I unlocked it and it doesn't realize that the door was opened after it was unlocked and then locks itself.

If that's the case... I'm wondering if that feature can even be disabled...according to the list of customizations on the GS 300:

9. Auto Relock Time Adjust
When the unlock button on the electronic key is pressed and the doors are not opened:
□ The doors will automatically re-lock in 30 seconds.
□ The doors will automatically re-lock in 60 seconds. (Standard)
□ The doors will automatically re-lock in 120 seconds
This doesn't say anything about being able to turn it off (which I would assume it would)

The other thing one I wondered about was:

8. Access System with Electronic Key
When unlocking the doors:
□ Deactivates SmartAccess, only accessible using electronic key unlock button. = Off
□ Use SmartAccess (touch door handle) or remote buttons. (Standard)= O
I'm not sure if this could be useful in my situation and if I can somehow use it as a workaround? Maybe someone has some thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-11, 07:43 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

9. Auto Relock Time Adjust
When the unlock button on the electronic key is pressed and the doors are not opened:
□ The doors will automatically re-lock in 30 seconds.
□ The doors will automatically re-lock in 60 seconds. (Standard)
□ The doors will automatically re-lock in 120 seconds
This doesn't say anything about being able to turn it off (which I would assume it would)
It's a personal setting. Lexus will do it for one time free of charge in the first 12K miles.
It's a useful feature to have it disabled.

This morning I tried to see if the car can auto lock with the key inside. Yes, it can. But I can still unlock the key by grabing the door handle. By doing the experiment, I found a way to fool the car NOT to let me unlock the car by grabing the door handle.

1. Roll down the driver door window.
2. Lock all doors by handle button or remote.
3. Unlock all doors, but don't open any door.
4. Throw the key on the driver seat.
5. The doors are automatically locked after 60 secs (default setting).
I was still be able to unlock the doors by grabing the handles at this time.

But now if I lock (lock only, can't unlock it, weird) the door again by pushing the inside master door switch lock , I was no longer able to unlock the doors by grabing the door handles. Now I am locked out but with the window open.

So my inside action from inside the car disabled the smart access system.
That would probably happen to your situation. To solve your issue, 2 questions need to be answered:
a. why did the car auto lock the doors after you unlocked the car and open a door?
b. why was the smart access disabled after the auto lock took place?

One answer for the 1st question, the door switch is failing/stuck in close position.

I couldn't think of a reason for question 2 other than weak battery or failing key fob.
You will get a message for a weak battery. You won't be able to start the car with a failed key.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 11-20-11 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 09:32 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

there's a keyless ignition feature?

Do you mean push-button start? because all of us have that

Quick Reply: Key locked inside car... disable AutoLock?