GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Non Run-Flat Tires for GS350 AWD????

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-11, 12:46 PM
gcalobrisi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Run-Flat Tires for GS350 AWD????

I want to ditch the run-flat tires on my 07 GS350. These run-flats are so noisy its driving me nuts and they ride way too stiff. I'm looking for non run-flat "quiet" better riding tires while still providing good performance.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Gary
Old 09-04-11, 01:37 PM
akash3230
Driver School Candidate

i am having the same problem. man. im thinking about changing them for Continental DWS. but i havent heard anything about these on our cars. i read the reviews for them and the where good.
Old 09-04-11, 03:44 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Continental DWS are great tires I have them on the Maxima, they ride quite, smooth and perform great in the rain. I'm not sure how they do in the snow but I have heard good things I did some research before buying them and these were what I came up with!
Old 09-04-11, 05:16 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

The Continental DWS is a popular choice. I have them but in 225/35 a and 265/30-20 on my car. Rides alot better that the Falken 452 I had before.
Old 09-05-11, 07:13 AM
jackballer
Driver

Got rid of mine this summer and bought a set of hankooks! As soon as I rode out of discount tire I could tell the differance and I wasnt even thinking about it. Just all of a sudden was like....Damn...its driving way smoother. Why didnt I do this earlier.

Hankook Ventus V4 I think. Look sweet too.
Old 09-05-11, 06:48 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want the best and can spend $200 per tire get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Quiet, great treadwear, good handling. I also use Michelin LTX MS2 on my SUV and they are the best. Drives like a different vehicle after pulling off the new Bridgestone Dueler H/T.
Old 09-08-11, 06:42 PM
akash3230
Driver School Candidate

ok i just got the continental dws's installed and i love em. there alot better then what i had before. little road noise. and great traction.
Old 09-08-11, 10:12 PM
1scGS450h
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by akash3230
ok i just got the continental dws's installed and i love em. there alot better then what i had before. little road noise. and great traction.
NICE!! when the time comes i was thinking about the Continental DWS's too.. great to know so many people like them!!
Old 09-12-11, 02:23 PM
Ashdaddy
Driver

I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's and although I really like them, they make me feel a bit disconnected from the road (a complaint that people have with the GS already, and I think the tires make this even more noticeable). I have always in the past been a fan of the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position tires and will consider both the Continentals and the Bridgestone's when it is time to replace them again. I have not driven on the the RE970's yet, but I have spoken to Tire Rack and Bridgestone about them and the differences between those and the RE960's. I am excited to try them as I hear they perform even better in wet conditions and give the driver even more connection to the road which was already a strong point of the RE960's.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=

Pros:
- QUIET
- Comfortable
- Ultra-high performance
- GREAT snow performance
- D-W-S tread depth indicator
- Inexpensive ($142.00 per tire)

Cons
- Feel a bit mushy when cornering. Nothing drastic, but it feels like the sidewalls are soft when I corner hard. Makes driver feel disconnected.
- Can get backordered.
- Not as good of dry or wet handling
- Not as durable in terms of road hazard resistance.

Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=AWD

Pros:
- Comfortable
- GREAT dry handling.
- GREAT wet handling (one of the large changes from the RE960 AS)
- GREAT cornering
- Responds well to driver inputs... makes driver feel connected to the road.
- Durable in terms of road hazard resistance
- Perform like a quiet & comfortable summer tire that can handle wet and snow.
- I really like the aesthetics of the tread pattern, I know this is opinion and probably not the most important thing to consider, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Cons:
- Although they are acceptable in the snow, the DWS's perform better.
- Expensive $189.00 vs $142.00 for the DWS's.
- Can be a bit loud on rough surfaces and over bumps.
Old 09-12-11, 06:10 PM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat by default (2 of my Dunlop run-flats have cupped...basically bare on the outter edges and one of them has a bubble in the sidewall). The 2 on the rear axle have plenty of meat on them seeing that they have 7/32 and I hate the idea of replacing all 4 seeing that these 2 are barely worn but I don't want to go with run-flats again. What is a guy supposed to do?!

I was at my Lexus dealership today and they have a buy 3 get the 4th free so I'm thinking about going this route. I used to work/sell for Michelin North America and I'm 100% loyal to the brand (I just bought a set of 4 Michelins for my wife's MDX and we love them). I will echo Valley's comments about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's. I've heard EXTREMELY good things about them.

If anyone has any other suggestions about how to handle my situation, my ears are open.
Old 09-13-11, 12:34 PM
akash3230
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking about how the run flats actually perform. Because i bought the car used. And i had to replace them with in like 2 months. So i was wondering how those tires actually perform.
Old 09-13-11, 10:10 PM
krschee
Driver School Candidate

any thoughts about the Pilot Super Sport? i don't need any major snow coverage.
Old 09-15-11, 08:28 PM
crombie92
Rookie

I love Michelins Pilots
Old 09-17-11, 06:56 PM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

So I decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's and I've had them on for 3 days and....ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN' LOVE THEM! The feel of them and the ride is not even comparable to the Dunlop run-flats which is a good thing for the Michelins. It hasn't been wet here yet so I can't comment on the wet traction but the dry traction is extremely good.
Old 09-17-11, 08:56 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by krschee
any thoughts about the Pilot Super Sport? i don't need any major snow coverage.
I bought these about 4 months ago, replacing the Michelin Primacy HP. Michelins are the only tires I buy and these by far are the best tires they have made hands down...

Traction is awesome in the rain and their isn't a need to mention the dry traction. And they are super quiet compared to the HPs. Plus to top it all a 30,000 mile warranty!!! I got a set of 4 out the door for $1040...

Quick Reply: Non Run-Flat Tires for GS350 AWD????