GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Parking Assist Problem - Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 11:03 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Parking Assist Problem - Sensors?

I did some searches and there are somewhat similar problems to mine, and there are some fixes, but none I can use successfully.

Lately and constantly I hear beeps and warning display from my Parking Assist system pointing to the 2 front center sensors. This warning is on constantly when my 07 GSh is at idle or forwarding/reversing at slow ~3 mph. The only time I don't get this warning is when going beyond ~3 mph, or when I turn the PA off completely.

There is absolutely nothing obstructing those 2 sensors, and I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned them of all the wax or dirt. I don't recall hitting anything lately, nor doing any at all that might have affected it.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected hoping to reset the system. The warning went away the first time starting the car for a couple minute, but reappeared on the second (and so forth) starts.

Any idea? If it's the sensors, how do I test them and how do I know which one of the two? Thanks.
Old 08-29-11, 11:11 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is not the same as the proximity sensor is it? Turn mine off.
Old 08-29-11, 11:29 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

It is the proximity sensor. I turn mine off at the moment too. Very annoying if I leave the system on.
Old 08-29-11, 11:39 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't
Really test them. Do you have warranty left? If not you can find some sensors on ebay for a good price. Best of luck
Old 08-29-11, 03:05 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

I'm out of warranty. The thing is, how do I know it's the sensors themselves and not something else. Thanks.
Old 08-29-11, 07:54 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 rear ones that have this issue. I'd also like to know how to test them
Old 08-29-11, 08:36 PM
GS2100
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

to test the sensors you should be able to just unplug the ones you suspect are faulty and plug in the ones that are working properly. either pop the sensors out of the bumper and replace with a good know sensor from the same bumper (make sure not to break the tabs inside the bumper holding the sensor in place) or just cut away at the plastic housing that is surrounding the wire to the plug leading to the sensor with enough slack you should be able to plug the lead into a neighboring good working sensor.

Last edited by GS2100; 08-29-11 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-09-11, 04:01 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

update:

So last wkend I took the bumper off. Switched the 2 center sensors to the outside and sure enough the warning went to my driver side and no longer at the center. So that narrowed it down to my original left-center sensor was bad. I didn't switch them back left that bad one on the left corner since access to the corner is just thru the wheel-well; I wouldn't have to take off the bumper again.

Called the local dealer; quoted $350 for one sensor, plus labor. Called Sewell and got one at half that price (along with other goodies) with the CL discount. Sensor came today. Took me less than 5 minutes to replace. No more constant beeps

Bottom line, I got 2 oil filters, a graphite seat trim kit, set of smart keyfob and blade for a lesser price than having this problem fixed at a local dealer.

Thanks guys. Happy motoring!
Old 09-09-11, 04:12 PM
SCGS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtent
update:

So last wkend I took the bumper off. Switched the 2 center sensors to the outside and sure enough the warning went to my driver side and no longer at the center. So that narrowed it down to my original left-center sensor was bad. I didn't switch them back left that bad one on the left corner since access to the corner is just thru the wheel-well; I wouldn't have to take off the bumper again.

Called the local dealer; quoted $350 for one sensor, plus labor. Called Sewell and got one at half that price (along with other goodies) with the CL discount. Sensor came today. Took me less than 5 minutes to replace. No more constant beeps

Bottom line, I got 2 oil filters, a graphite seat trim kit, set of smart keyfob and blade for a lesser price than having this problem fixed at a local dealer.

Thanks guys. Happy motoring!
I recently picked up the graphite seat trim kit. Searched for the diy, found it but all photos are missing. Debating if I should go in blind. . You have to love Swell.
Old 09-09-11, 06:19 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

do you actually use this sensor? I find it very useless.
Old 09-09-11, 06:46 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

I went in blind since i'm usually handy with these things. Access is thru the back cover of seat. First pull open a little on the sides where the trim pieces are. Then go higher a bit on the cover to find two the white plastic tabs. I then used a flathead screwdriver to push down the top of those tabs while pulling the cover out at the same time. Each seat trim piece is held on by two small screws.
Attached Thumbnails Parking Assist Problem - Sensors?-2011-09-09_17-32-38_147.jpg  
Old 09-09-11, 06:58 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by worker
do you actually use this sensor? I find it very useless.
It's not one of those "must have" and at times does bothers me with the warning when already know my surroundings, but i do find it useful at unfamiliar places.

I fixed it to get rid of the false error messages and for resale purpose later.
Old 09-09-11, 07:35 PM
SCGS350
Rookie

I went in blind since i'm usually handy with these things. Access is thru the back cover of seat. First pull open a little on the sides where the trim pieces are. Then go higher a bit on the cover to find two the white plastic tabs. I then used a flathead screwdriver to push down the top of those tabs while pulling the cover out at the same time. Each seat trim piece is held on by two small screws.
That's it?! Lol. The diy had like 5 steps!! Sweet. Thanks. Working on the car this weekend.
Old 09-10-11, 02:59 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

It's not one of those "must have" and at times does bothers me with the warning when already know my surroundings, but i do find it useful at unfamiliar places.

I fixed it to get rid of the false error messages and for resale purpose later.
have mine off for over a year and see no need or want to turn it on at all.
Old 04-14-15, 02:35 PM
ejcrossl
Driver School Candidate

I didn't turn mine on until someone smashed into my bumper. Getting a false reading out of the sensor where the bumper damage is. Back off, but now I want it fixed for when i sell it. I have to fix the bumper (new bumper cover I guess), so want to fix the sensor too.

Quick Reply: Parking Assist Problem - Sensors?