GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Leather seats?

Old 07-20-11, 05:55 PM
newyorker1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather seats?

I'm looking to purchase a 2008 GS. I'm trying to decide on what color seats I want. I know many think it's not important, but it is to me. So, I'm asking what the pros and cons of each are. The apparent colors are grey/white, black, and beige. I'm trying to rule out the lesser of three evils because all of them have their downsides.

-I can't tell what color the grey/white leather is. I hear the lighter seats get dirty easier. This would be my first choice if it were actually grey.

-Black holds it's heat and is awful to sit on if you're parked in the sun and wearing shorts. To me, this is the most attractive, but the fact that it bakes the car makes me not want it.

-Beige, to me, is the least attractive.I hear it gets dirty easily, too.

So, any input would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-20-11, 06:00 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

pretty easy for me.

black and always black, i will never buy another color. it just looks so clean and most people in the market look for a car with black seats.

esp. some people like me, black seats were the determining factor of a sale. i wouldnt buy a car if it didnt have black seats
Old 07-20-11, 06:04 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have black seats and interior. We have cooling seats in the cAr so i wouldnt worry much about baking. Lighter color seats u can see dirt on easier then on darker colors. In the end its what u prefer honestly. I am all about black interior.
Old 07-20-11, 06:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

black and only black. i can't deal with the dirt on other colors. had a few cars with beige / tan and way too easy to get stained, etc...

heat wise? to me it's bs that black is "hotter". on paper probably, but when your car is under the summer sun for an hour or two, even the gray or tan leather will get super hot (i still remember what it was like when my wife in shorts got in our gs400 with tan
Old 07-20-11, 06:32 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am all about black seats worried about the heat, get a remote starter, and throw some tint on the car.
Old 07-20-11, 06:56 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

deal with the heat, wear some jeans, turn on the A/C roll down the windows

i remember when i switched cars with my friend (which had an s2k) for a while. had to get use to get burning hot shift ****. what did i do? threw a wrist band / hat over the car when not in use.

same issue hot seats! throw on some tints or deal with it. if "it'll be too hot" is really a factor, then get some tans.
Old 07-20-11, 08:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

black looks better when aged.

gray and beige look like crap when they're beat up.
Old 07-20-11, 08:44 PM
newyorker1
Driver School Candidate

Well, I hear all this stuff about wear and getting dirty on the grey/beige. I'm a very clean person, and from what I seen I think I'll be fine. I've seen three-year-old grey leather, perfect. Eight-year-old beige leather, nearly perfect except for wear and tear on the driver's seat.
Old 07-20-11, 09:18 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Black, easier to maintain and looks better to me.
Old 07-20-11, 09:25 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Black seats with cooling works fine for me it maybe hot when I get in but it cools down real quick and looks so much better. Now if only they would pair the dark grey wood.

Last edited by bigblack06; 07-20-11 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 11:46 PM
eighty5iv
Driver School Candidate

I agree with everyone. Black is the way to go. My 2nd choice is if I had to settle. If I had to settle I would go for beige, also depends on the color of your car. If you are going for a white GS go for the beige it looks classy in its own way. If its black then go black. black on black is sexy as hell. If its silver go black, if its red go black, if its any color besides white go black. lol. i dont think grey goes good with anything.
Old 07-21-11, 12:45 AM
Ashdaddy
Driver

I agree with everybody that black is the way to go... I have black on black and love it. The other colors do tend to get dirty especially on the arm rests.

The other 2 things to consider when choosing seat color are the carpet color and the wood trim. I live in Chicago so I was worried about the light colors for the floor mats on the beige and grey interiors as well. In terms of the wood trim, the grey comes with the dark grey stained wood which is pretty sexy.

If I had to choose between grey and beige, I think that grey wood might push me towards the grey leather, but again the black is the best IMHO. I wish I could have gotten the grey wood with the black leather.
Old 07-21-11, 03:51 AM
lostnspace
Rookie

I will never ever do an interior color besides black again. I owned a 08 IS 250 with the beige/tan seats and I would cringe anytime some sat in my car. I was so OCD about stains and subtle abrasions...it was simply the worse color to keep clean. I had a pair of jeans that I know I washed several times over and the ink still made its way into my driver's seat, drove me insane!!

I have/had black seats in my 11 GS 350, and they are a lot easier to keep clean and also do not show a lot of imperfections.
Old 07-21-11, 07:04 AM
supert
Driver School Candidate

08 GS - Black with beige plus tinted windows. It looks sexy as hell. Black on black is common. I see a bunches of cars with that setup. White and Beige is nice. White and interior black is like a civil war.

1. Beige
2. Black
Old 07-21-11, 11:25 AM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I have grey seats and yes they are difficult to keep clean but if you are careful you can keep them clean. I use black floor mats because the grey floor mats were impossible to keep clean. I also like the grey seats because then you get the dark grey wood finish which I think looks much better then the black seats with maple wood finish.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather seats?