GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11 GS 350 accident aftermath...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 10:47 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My GS got rear ended by a semi truck last year and the repair was $15k. The body shop replaced the trunk, tail lights, bumper, trunk opener, back windshield, etc with Lexus parts and everything was better than new. Insurance picked up the bill and I got a Camry for rental over 2 months. I can't believe parts cost so much nowaday.
Old 07-18-11, 11:17 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by vuiskool
This is exactly why you should always wear your seatbelt.
Maybe this also has something to do with steering airbag deployment.
My steering wheel airbag deployed, but that's because I got pushed up underneath a Chevy Avalanche and the engine was pushed into the cabin. It didn't look like there was enough front end damage on OP's car for the steering wheel bag to come out. The side airbags made sense though.
Old 07-18-11, 08:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That will buff right out.

a little Bondo, and that car will be like new again.

so, anyone in the VA area have an 06-07, and want to upgrade the center stack? now is the time to go junk yard diving.
Old 07-19-11, 04:36 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I went to chiropractor on Monday and got my x-ray results today.

Everything checked out pretty good. Actually if it weren't for the accident I wouldn't have discover some problems, that were developing in my neck and lower back. So I'm going to be in physical therapy for at least the next three months.

Geico's adjuster still hasn't checked out my car! AARRGGHHH!! I spoke with him today and he stated that it would be Wednesday, but more likely Thursday. Sheesh, I hate the prolonged process of the appraisal. He asked me where was the car damaged and I stated every where. LOL. He flat out told me since my car is so expensive, they probably won't total it. Of course this is sight unseen, because he's admitted to not seeing my car. He said if it were an ES it would probably be totaled. He also stated that they strip it down to frame and check for structural damage.

At this point I just need to know how to move forward and Thursday cannot be he fast enough. I hope Geico is fair in their assessment and don't make a decision based on what saves them money in the long run...my safety should be first!! Besides I have GAP insurance that makes up the difference.
Old 07-19-11, 04:38 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by dunnojack
That will buff right out.

a little Bondo, and that car will be like new again.

so, anyone in the VA area have an 06-07, and want to upgrade the center stack? now is the time to go junk yard diving.
LOL, indeed, besides only the circled areas need be to fixed...

Last edited by lostnspace; 07-19-11 at 05:04 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 07-19-11, 04:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lostnspace
Well, I went to chiropractor on Monday and got my x-ray results today.

Everything checked out pretty good. Actually if it weren't for the accident I wouldn't have discover some problems, that were developing in my neck and lower back. So I'm going to be in physical therapy for at least the next three months.

Geico's adjuster still hasn't checked out my car! AARRGGHHH!! I spoke with him today and he stated that it would be Wednesday, but more likely Thursday. Sheesh, I hate the prolonged process of the appraisal. He asked me where was the car damaged and I stated every where. LOL. He flat out told me since my car is so expensive, they probably won't total it. Of course this is sight unseen, because he's admitted to not seeing my car. He said if it were an ES it would probably be totaled. He also stated that they strip it down to frame and check for structural damage.

At this point I just need to know how to move forward and Thursday cannot be he fast enough. I hope Geico is fair in their assessment and don't make a decision based on what saves them money in the long run...my safety should be first!! Besides I have GAP insurance that makes up the difference.
glad that your body checks out fine

looking at the car, the roof seems to be the only part that's "untouched". otherwise almost all panels on the outside got damaged, suspension damage, interior most airbags deployed. some wheels got damaged, and i can't see if any of the seats got damaged (if side airbag deployed, does that mean new seats?).

i don't know if the frame is damaged from the pics, but given yours is a 2011 which still has high residual, this is going to be tough
Old 07-20-11, 02:48 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
glad that your body checks out fine

looking at the car, the roof seems to be the only part that's "untouched". otherwise almost all panels on the outside got damaged, suspension damage, interior most airbags deployed. some wheels got damaged, and i can't see if any of the seats got damaged (if side airbag deployed, does that mean new seats?).

i don't know if the frame is damaged from the pics, but given yours is a 2011 which still has high residual, this is going to be tough
Well I have a preliminary estimate from the adjust at over $32,000 worth of parts and labor to fix the car. He stated that this does not include suspension, tires, or any work that must be done to the engine.

He stated that every inch of the car had some type of damage...even though the roof did not seem to have damage. He says there's a slight bend by the moon room. They still have to strip the car down and look for structural damage. Which he seems to think exists because of the bend in roof.

Next step is getting the value of the car pre accident and figuring how much all the other parts and labor is going to be. He said he thought maybe I was exaggerating about the damage to car, but that he's really going to fight to have the car totaled. However being that the car is so expensive, his boss must examine the car and bla bla bla.

Soooo hopefully by Friday or either Monday, I should know where I stand with everything.

If I get a copy of quoted labor and parts, I will also share that info
Old 07-20-11, 03:34 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to see something like this happened to you.. Glad you're okay. Remember you can always replace your car, but not you life.

I regularly get my control arms and lower ball joints check on my car. Since my car is lowered and have custom wheels. To my surprise last time i checked one of my lower ball joints were leaking and starting to crack. I immediately took it to the Lexus dealership and had them replace it as warranty.
Old 07-20-11, 06:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lostnspace
Well I have a preliminary estimate from the adjust at over $32,000 worth of parts and labor to fix the car. He stated that this does not include suspension, tires, or any work that must be done to the engine.

He stated that every inch of the car had some type of damage...even though the roof did not seem to have damage. He says there's a slight bend by the moon room. They still have to strip the car down and look for structural damage. Which he seems to think exists because of the bend in roof.

Next step is getting the value of the car pre accident and figuring how much all the other parts and labor is going to be. He said he thought maybe I was exaggerating about the damage to car, but that he's really going to fight to have the car totaled. However being that the car is so expensive, his boss must examine the car and bla bla bla.

Soooo hopefully by Friday or either Monday, I should know where I stand with everything.

If I get a copy of quoted labor and parts, I will also share that info
wow even the roof is bent. that means all panels. with suspension and wheels, i think that will push it up to 40k already. i would also think the frame is damaged (i almost "hope" so), in that case you might as well call it total.

the car is expensive, but market price is probably around 45k? that's my guess (even if based on msrp minus depreciation). if that's the case, 32k is already well over the 50% mark.

i don't know, to me i don't see any point of "repairing"
Old 07-21-11, 04:11 AM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
Sorry to see something like this happened to you.. Glad you're okay. Remember you can always replace your car, but not you life.

I regularly get my control arms and lower ball joints check on my car. Since my car is lowered and have custom wheels. To my surprise last time i checked one of my lower ball joints were leaking and starting to crack. I immediately took it to the Lexus dealership and had them replace it as warranty.
Thanks! The more I look at my pictures, I realize that I was extremely blessed/lucky I am to have walked away. The other cars took damage too but I by far, am the winner of "Dude, your car ****** up" award.

Originally Posted by rominl
wow even the roof is bent. that means all panels. with suspension and wheels, i think that will push it up to 40k already. i would also think the frame is damaged (i almost "hope" so), in that case you might as well call it total.

the car is expensive, but market price is probably around 45k? that's my guess (even if based on msrp minus depreciation). if that's the case, 32k is already well over the 50% mark.

i don't know, to me i don't see any point of "repairing"
Rominl, I was doing some research on my car last night, and I think as you have stated in a previous post, the 11 GS 350 has one of the highest residual values for Lexus cars right now. With that said, I think my car was around $54k with all the bells and whistles. I figured the car's value today taking in consideration it has 8K miles, is around $48k. I'm going on the high side because I'm sure that's what the insurance company is going to do. With the car being the current model year, I'm sure the insurance company is going to bump up the 50% damage cost percentage up to 80%. Which means before my vehicle can be totaled we're looking at $38.4k worth of damage to the vehicle.

I am in the same state of mind as you and I hope the frame is damaged and the rest of the repairs should push total repairs and labor to over the $40k mark easily!

I will keep everyone posted.
Old 07-21-11, 06:59 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Since you said it was leased, how does that work out since its the banks car and your essentially borrowing it? Do they have any say at all in this?
Old 07-21-11, 07:16 AM
lostnspace
Rookie

I have absolutely no say so in this situation. Even if I owned the car, I do not think I have any say so. In both cases I can always ask that the car be appraised by another insurance company, but since both me and the other person's insurance is Geico, any other appraisal would be paid for by me. I'm assuming Lexus could step in and push for Geico to total the car our but once again, it’s really on the insurance company to decide the value of the car at the end of the day.
Old 07-21-11, 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Since you said it was leased, how does that work out since its the banks car and your essentially borrowing it? Do they have any say at all in this?
bank doesn't care. they only care about the money they supposed to get. if there is any difference, they either go after owner or gap insurance
Old 07-21-11, 08:44 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

bank probably would root for totaling it....1 less "asset" they have to worry about and they get their cash back.
Old 07-21-11, 11:34 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would like some parts of that car..

Quick Reply: 11 GS 350 accident aftermath...