GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AWD vs. RWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 01:45 PM
Riceater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD vs. RWD

I have been painstakingly looking for an 07 AWD GS350 for a couple months now and it's been nearly impossible to find one with the color combo/ML package/price that I'm looking for. I was really wanting AWD because our winters here in southern Missouri occasionally get kinda bad and I don't want to be stuck in a RWD car like I was last winter and not be able to go anywhere. Plus, I know how ****ty my moms IS350 in even a light dusting.. but I'm wondering, has anyone here experienced snow in an AWD and RWD GS before? Is the AWD worth holding out for or should I just get a RWD. My main problem with finding an AWD lexus is they're either 1,000+ miles away (in the Northeastern part of the US and probably have rust) or they have a 90k miles+ and I'm not interested in something that's probably overdue for a ton of maintenance. So, is AWD much better in the snow or should I just settle for the first RWD one I come across that meets my extremely narrow preferences lol?
Old 05-26-11, 03:29 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You're going to get the usual array of replies about how AWD doesn't matter.

I'm sum it up. You're fine, especially if you don't get dumped with snow and ice for half the year like i do, if you just use good winter rated all seasons. You're better if you use good winter tires. Even with RWD.

For me in Toronto, I really love my AWD / X-Ice Xi2 combination in the winter... the car is a beast even in inches upon inches of accumulation.

P.S. My car has no rust... Krown rust proofing, regular washing... no need to hide the car in a garage all winter.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 05-26-11 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 03:29 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Ok, there is a difference between the two they drive completly different. I love RWD and would never get one, but I have been in an AWD and the system works alot better than a RWD in snow, it does the job, but I feel there is more power and better stability in a RWD car, and I'm pretty sure that not all cars in the Northeast will have rust, there are garage kings that will keep them garaged, I'm one of them and have always kept my car garaged during winter. You can always have it checked but I think your guessing that it may have rust but just saying I wouln't be so sure. In your case I would go with the AWD as Boston winter, my car slept long nights in the garage cause its not the greatest in winter.
Old 05-26-11, 07:44 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course there is a difference, Especially in snow. I love that my AWD starting from a red light in snow doesn't stand in one spot trying to get traction. Its not the greatest awd system out there, but it does the job well. I drove in the LS460 and GS430 RWD, coming of a small curb hitting gas you hear the tires screeching. Does not happen to my AWD as all the tires basically have same power. Overall I highly suggest AWD just because it does no harm and much better in rain and snow. Only down side is probably .2 seconds slower 0-60 and 1 mpg less.
Old 05-27-11, 03:58 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan on lowering the car I would go rwd since most if the awd guys lowered have complain of vibration issues. I have a rwd and love it but she ****s in a
storage unit when there is snow in the forecast or on the ground
Old 05-27-11, 10:27 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Rice, I've been thinking about selling my car and getting something different. But I'm on the East Coast. '07 GS350 AWD. Silver/black. Garage kept, dealer serviced, 40,900k. Def. no rust. lol. As for the handling, I think it does very well on snow/ice.
Old 05-27-11, 03:07 PM
Riceater
Driver

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
Rice, I've been thinking about selling my car and getting something different. But I'm on the East Coast. '07 GS350 AWD. Silver/black. Garage kept, dealer serviced, 40,900k. Def. no rust. lol. As for the handling, I think it does very well on snow/ice.
Do you have the Mark Levinson package? : D If so, hit me up with some pictures.

Well it sounds like the AWD is what I need to hold out for then. It's hard to find anything within my 26k price range it seems but I'll just keep looking. I just hope I can find a decent deal between now and the end of August. Here in Missouri they give you a sales tax credit when you sell a car and if it's replaced with another within 6 months, you only pay difference on taxes. Well since I sold my Corvette for a little over $31K, I won't have to pay any taxes if I find something below that. So if anyone out there has a well-kept GS that they're thinking of getting rid of or needing to sell soon. Hit me up.

AWD, Mark Levinson, any color but red or blue, and anything but tan interior! : )
Old 05-27-11, 03:17 PM
mahmudb
Driver School Candidate

Dave Munganest Lexus in St. Louis has an 07' GS350 AWD Blk/Blk with ML with 40k miles. Its certified pre owned as well, but I think its more than what you were looking for.
Old 05-27-11, 03:58 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in MD and I'm ok with RWD. It gets a bit bad on compact snow (ice) but no big deal. I got my car moving just fine, slow and steady.

I did get stuck at an up hill stop sign intersection once, I had to put in reverse and forward and that got my car moving again just fine. And this is on Continental DWS All Season tires.
Old 05-27-11, 04:32 PM
Riceater
Driver

Originally Posted by mahmudb
Dave Munganest Lexus in St. Louis has an 07' GS350 AWD Blk/Blk with ML with 40k miles. Its certified pre owned as well, but I think its more than what you were looking for.
I just looked at the inventory on his website but I think it's sold as there aren't any Lexus models for sale right now on there.
Old 05-28-11, 03:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The right set of winter tires should be able to get the job done. There's a bunch of threads on AWD vs RWD in the 2IS section about this
Old 10-09-19, 12:49 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I grew up in PNW and went to high school in Snohomish so I know the area well.

My family has had many RWD and AWD vehicles over the decades. Most of the time with high quality All Season Tires.
Note: My current RC350 AWD I split the year between dedicated summer and winter tires. I like it, but it's probably in excess of need. I don't think I'll convince my wife to split tires in her crossover/suv. She just doesn't see the need.
We historically have stayed out of the mountains in the winter so that hasn't been a big factor for us. It is for some.
We take the occasional snow days during the worst of it but the rest of the time we have no issues.
If you MUST be at work during those days, I'd prioritize summer/winter mix tires first and the probably AWD, but that's a small % of population.

This doesn't sound like it will apply to you very often, but it's worth noting for you and others. Legally AWD and RWD vehicles have different rules in the WA passes. There are a few winter condition traction categories. I think the laws in surrounding states are similar, but I'd check.
1 Traction tires Advised
2 Traction tires Required
3 Tire chains Required
4 Chains Required on ALL vehicles even 4WD/AWD

RWD vehicle Requires chains for 3,4.
AWD Requires chains only for 4. (if you have approved traction tires Snowflake or 3 mountain passes symbols) Must carry chains in the vehicle, but not required to be installed.
For people (not me, but others) that spend a decent amount of time in the passes, the legal differentiation for section 3 above is a non trivial benefit. I can buy chains that I'll never install but have to keep in trunk if conditions degrade. (I avoid condition 4 in general)

In general AWD vs RWD I've heard some decent arguments from RWD fans that the tires are more important than the drive system. I generally accept their arguments. I suspect a RWD car with winter tires is better than AWD with All Season. This is counter-intuitive for some.
On ice or compact snow. Check videos of vehicles on ice skating rinks etc.
Acceleration better with AWD (potentially much better)
Breaking better with RWD (almost identical, but AWD is heavier)
Turning better with RWD (almost identical, but AWD is heavier) I was surprised by this honestly.
Don't get over confident with AWD it isn't magic.

RWD folks almost had me convinced until this winter. Those tests are informative and interesting, but in essentially laboratory conditions. They aren't what I live in.
We had deep snow this winter for over a week. We only get this every 5 years or so though.
Those laboratory conditions above were irrelevant. Getting stuck was the primary issue.
RWD cars were going nowhere. Just not enough traction. Braking was easy as snow was constantly trying to stop you. Turning was hard for everyone once the snow got crunchy.
AWD cars had enough traction to move and turn. (Once the snow depth was shallow enough for ground clearance)
I also feel I get more predictable traction in rain, frost, slush, wet leaves etc. which are extremely common conditions for us. My predictable traction may be considered less fun by RWD enthusiasts.

I'm AWD fan. I get that RWD has some fun characteristics and pivots differently on the track. Doesn't matter to me. I don't need to drift, smoke tires, etc. Don't go to track. The small advantages I get from AWD outweigh the small disadvantages for me.

Other people with other priorities will make other choices. I'm good with that. I don't believe there is a definitive right or wrong answer on this one. I can get by either way, just have a preference.
Old 10-11-19, 05:42 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

no no no ! dont let anyone tell you if you have good tires on rwd its ok .....AWD is superior in every way ,rwd is for sport cars been there done that RWD is **** in winter
The following users liked this post:
ServerTech (10-13-19)
Old 10-19-19, 09:33 AM
Hugh9591
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I prefer AWD. I live in Ohio and we don't have as much snow as we once did, but on those snowy days, AWD is a great help. But, tires also make a difference. I once had a 1999 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro. That car was magnificent on dry pavement with the OEM Dunlop tires. But if there was the slightest bit of snow, it was helpless. I still had my old 1888 Toyota Camry AllTrac with bargain all weather radials and it was fantastic in snow; much better than the Audi until I got it better all weather radials. It did not do as well on dry pavement, but at least then it could function in snow. I hope to be able to get summer tires and wheels and separate winter tires and wheels for my 2008 GS-350 AWD.

So, short version, get good tires too.
Old 10-19-19, 04:26 PM
threehunna
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last winter during a really big snow storm there was a hill with bad traffic because some people couldnt go up.. semi trucks not even attempting to go, just waiting it out. I went in the ditch and just casually drove up the hill, IN THE DITCH. Im lucky the snow wasnt THAT deep or I would have looked like the biggest fool but it was the perfect amount to make it loom super badass but still a breeze for the lexus

id still prefer a rwd.
-can be lowered, slammed, stanced, whatever.
-less parts=easier to work on.
-can use different size tires

-front doesnt sit higher like awd

Last edited by threehunna; 10-19-19 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: AWD vs. RWD