GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lex Luga is about to become the total package!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 05:49 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa air saw, I thought shaving was just sanding it down? Lots of questions, bare with me: If I wanted to slightly tuck let's say 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch of my tires in the front n back would I be rubbing hard? Would removing the aesthetic rubber strip that's being held by the hex bolts solve that problem or would I still need body work? N If I remove that rubber strip will I run into rust problems in the future?
Old 05-12-11, 06:25 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Look at what came in the mail today...I AM HYPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lex Luga is about to become the total package!-imag0026.jpg
Old 05-12-11, 07:30 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Whoa air saw, I thought shaving was just sanding it down? Lots of questions, bare with me: If I wanted to slightly tuck let's say 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch of my tires in the front n back would I be rubbing hard? Would removing the aesthetic rubber strip that's being held by the hex bolts solve that problem or would I still need body work? N If I remove that rubber strip will I run into rust problems in the future?
congrats on the coils bro, they just took blue tape and taped the inner edge and with a fine toothed metal air saw and cut the lip back, I ended up going more aggressive and took a metal grinder to it and then painted it to prevent rust. the further you drop the car down the more the wheels are going suck up under the car. you may not need to shave anything, lower the car and then see what you have if you need to cut go ahead and put in work. Matter of fact slam it, stretch it, space it out and boom you can bet dat never gotta sweat dat!
Old 05-12-11, 08:43 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
congrats on the coils bro, they just took blue tape and taped the inner edge and with a fine toothed metal air saw and cut the lip back, I ended up going more aggressive and took a metal grinder to it and then painted it to prevent rust. the further you drop the car down the more the wheels are going suck up under the car. you may not need to shave anything, lower the car and then see what you have if you need to cut go ahead and put in work. Matter of fact slam it, stretch it, space it out and boom you can bet dat never gotta sweat dat!
So I'm guessing u painted it the same as ur body color, but would it matter since it's hard to see unless ur looking right under it? Plus u got an easy color, "black", basically. I'm already contradicting myself bc I wanna slam it n I'm wondering what mm spacers I should look into getting..BTW did u jus quote the hook of "sure thing", by miguel..that was....different, in a weird way hahahahah. Anyway thanks for the info.
Old 05-13-11, 04:14 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Lmao!! Something like that, you can t see it cause it's on the inside of the wheel well, about depending on how much your willing to shave and how low you want to go, and tire sizes I can help you. I have had so many spacers on my car.
Old 05-13-11, 04:45 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to look good! I would paint the rear calipers black if you dont want them to stand out like the fronts so they are clean and hidden. I did this on my GS when I first installed my front BBK I pained the rears black so they didnt stand out so much (lol)
Old 05-13-11, 07:18 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Always liked the design of these wheels.
Old 05-14-11, 06:01 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice looking ride lex, do u get the vibrations from lowering an awd?
Old 05-15-11, 08:07 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

On stock 17s no vibrations, on 20s last summer w generic lugnuts I had vibrations n wobble at 10-20mph but this year w the mcgards splinedrive lugnuts the wobble n vibrations seem barely noticeable which I'm very happy about. I'll have to check it out again to confirm.
Old 05-20-11, 05:53 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Posted this up already but figured I should post this on my thread:

Coilover install finished at 10pm last night..talk about a nightmare when we were 3/4 of the way done with the install. Took 2 hours for that stupid bolt to thread onto where it goes, after going macguyver on it. Total install time 8 hours with about 1 hour of break.

Things to mention, initial drop was slammed but I was rubbing so bad! Adjusted two more times and I'm still rubbing but not as bad, so adjustments will be made asap.

When I drove home on the highway I noticed vibration n rattle at high speeds in the front wheels around 60-80mph..any suggestions of what this could be? Also the rear rubbed only when I hit non-level surface which is plentiful in NY.

Adjustments will def be made, I didn't even think I would put the coils on yesterday. Time was a big issue at the end, especially adjusting the ride height.

One last thing to mention: in the front I'm 10 clicks from the softest setting (20 out of 30), 0 being the hardest, 30 being the softest. In the rear I'm 5 clicks from the softest setting (25 out of 30). So far it seems the car is taking bumps like a champ. Not harsh and rough at all.
Old 05-20-11, 05:57 AM
LexFather

Thanks for the updates! The wheels look great on the 3GS, wow, nice!
Old 05-23-11, 07:29 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

finally got some updated pics, although final adjustments are not made yet.

Here is my boy workin on my car, some of you guys drink beers while working on your cars..well we do something else that people in cali do legally for their "cataracts" hahahah. It's so weird cuz this guy works better when he's under the influence rather than sober, whatever works right LOL. (Don't judge us!)

Lex Luga is about to become the total package!-imag0035.jpg

Here is how i want to be riding, but had to lift it due to major rubbing..BUT once i find a reputable body shop that can cut and shave my fenders, I'll be riding atleast this low.

Lex Luga is about to become the total package!-imag0041.jpg

These next 3 shots are of my ride height right now. I basically am sitting right on top of my tires with about 1cm wheel gap. More adjustments to come. I am still rubbing in the rear, but the front is fine and slightly rubs only when the wheel is fully turned one way or another. Some other things to note, I noticed my front wheels have very negative camber (even more so than the rear wheels). They kind of look like they are tilting inward. Could this cause some vibrations? Also vibrations are stronger than when i was dropped on Tein S techs for sure.

I am 10 clicks away from the softest setting in the front, and 5 clicks away from the softest in the rear. (but I will change the rear to the same as the front, since it seems a tad bit bouncy and since i already have softer spring rates in the back, [10k spring rate in front and 8k in the rear])
Lex Luga is about to become the total package!-imag0061.jpg
Lex Luga is about to become the total package!-imag0062.jpg
Lex Luga is about to become the total package!-imag0042.jpg

Last edited by Lex Luga; 05-25-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-23-11, 08:31 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the car look good coils stance came out nice.
Old 05-24-11, 12:05 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

sweeet, what kind of brakes are those in the front?
Old 05-24-11, 05:02 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

GS350 brakes that I painted blue.. g2 caliper paint from amazon.com

Quick Reply: Lex Luga is about to become the total package!