GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Navigation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 10:23 PM
shaq98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Problem

Hi all,
I need some help with my 07 GS navigation.

A few weeks ago, I was able to replace my navigation unit under warranty by a local dealer in LA. The problem was the GPS pointer would move by itself. I was able to duplicate the problem with the dealer and they ended up replacing the entire GPS unit.

After that, I started noticing one minor problem. Whenever I start the car, my navigation locates my location incorrectly and stays in the middle of the map (see the attached picture, you can see the circle in the middle)

However, once I press the map button, it starts working just fine. I don't recall this happened with my old navigation. If I remember correctly, it just worked fine once I started the car. I have the VAISTech Ipod integration installed onto the navigation system, which was done by the same dealer a few months ago.

Anyone who has experienced the problem? Any info will be highly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Problem-gs.jpg  

Last edited by shaq98; 04-13-11 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 12:35 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shaq98
Hi all,
I need some help with my 07 GS navigation.

A few weeks ago, I was able to replace my navigation unit under warranty by a local dealer in LA. The problem was the GPS pointer would move by itself. I was able to duplicate the problem with the dealer and they ended up replacing the entire GPS unit.

After that, I started noticing one minor problem. Whenever I start the car, my navigation locates my location incorrectly and stays in the middle of the map (see the attached picture, you can see the circle in the middle)

However, once I press the map button, it starts working just fine. I don't recall this happened with my old navigation. If I remember correctly, it just worked fine once I started the car. I have the VAISTech Ipod integration installed onto the navigation system, which was done by the same dealer a few months ago.

Anyone who has experienced the problem? Any info will be highly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Looking at the picture it looks like your Nav thinks that you touched the screen in the middle, that's why the "enter" button is lit up at the bottom. Maybe a defective replacement unit?

Last edited by arnieosp; 04-14-11 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-14-11, 10:49 AM
shaq98
Driver School Candidate

You might be right. I just don't bother to take the car back to the dealer again. I will check with them later.

Are there anyone with this problem?
Thank you.
Old 04-15-11, 07:44 PM
SteveF86
Driver School Candidate

08 GS 350 here, Vaistech SL2IC installed same exact problem, everytime I tun the car on.
Old 04-15-11, 10:19 PM
shaq98
Driver School Candidate

Steve, then maybe it is not a problem with the navigation but with Vaistech. Did you ever replace your navigation before? If not, why don't we try to get opinions from a bit more people? Then, we can ask Vaistech about it. Anyways, I am glad that I have found another GS with exactly the same problem.
Old 04-16-11, 01:47 PM
SteveF86
Driver School Candidate

Never had my navigation unit replaced, it's definitely something conflicting with the Vaistech unit.
Old 04-26-11, 10:47 PM
shaq98
Driver School Candidate

SteveF86, I spoke with someone at Vaistech today about the problem. I have fixed the problem. You would need to turn off the automatic I agree bypass feature. Here is how. I obtained this from the Ipod integration kit manual.

[B]Activate / Deactivate “I Agree” Automatic Bypass Function

Put your device in Simple Mode by rapidly pressing the [SCAN] button 8 times (MUST BE DONE within 1-2 seconds).
Push DISC REPEAT button to hear a long beep to toggle the “I Agree” Automatic Bypass Function ON and OFF.
(For vehicles not equipped with DISC REPEAT as a physical button, push and hold the REPEAT button until you hear a long beep to toggle the “I Agree” Automatic Bypass Function ON and OFF.

In my GS, it did not beep. I just turned off the disk repeat button. Now my navigation works fine. I will keep an eye on it and let you know after a few days.
Old 12-15-11, 05:31 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the EXACT problem and I'm glad I stumbled on this. I have a Vaistech unit also and it's set to bypass. I'm going to give it a try and disable the bypass feature. I originally thought I did something wrong when I did the DVD and Nav hack, but now I see that it has to do with the bypass feature on the Vaistech. I updated to the 10.1 Nav disc and I think I read somewhere that the "I Agree" goes away on it's own anyway with the newer discs? Is that true?

Last edited by LenniePaz; 12-15-11 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 06:48 AM
smadap
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav Glitch

I have a slightly different issue with my 07 GS350 RWD Nav. I do have the bypass unit installed that allows control while driving. It has worked flawlessly until recently when I drove across country. All Interstate (major highway) driving. It would randomly get "lost" for hundreds of miles - the location cursor would show me in the middle of nowhere - no roads or anything...kind of like when a new off-ramp isn't on your Nav disk and it keeps "jumping" to try find a road that you're actually on. Turning off the car, re-routing or re-entering the destination address did nothing. The next morning, it would again start out fine but after a few hundred miles, it would happen again. Any ideas?

Does anyone know if you have to change your regional indicator (U.S. is broken into regions on the Nav disc) as you drive across regions? For example, I started out in CA, but drove to TX in the first day (two different regions). I had to change the region to the TX region so it could find my destination address (but I was still in the CA region when starting). I think somewhere in Arizona, it started getting lost and stayed lost all the way into TX. Did the same thing the next day as I drove into IN/OH.

Appreciate the help!