GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Fog light conversion question for 2008GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 07:59 PM
EleeGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light conversion question for 2008GS450h

I know I can replace bulbs with little result. An hid kit can get 6k hid, but how would that compare with the JDM full HID conversion kit?
Old 04-07-11, 08:44 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

The JDM HID kit is probably 4 times + more expensive than a quality HID conversion kit. Not to mention the JDM lights are replacement light unit, which is a projector light. Standard HID conversion kits are just ballasts, bulbs, and wiring.
Old 04-07-11, 09:41 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^ what Kcook700 said. do a search for my jdm hid fogs for pics
Old 04-07-11, 10:20 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Damn you got the real deal?? *drool* those are nice. I just can't justify paying that much..
Old 04-09-11, 09:36 AM
EleeGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Comparison

I guess what I am asking is whether a good conversion kit is essentially the same or if the reflective surfaces in the jdm light enclosure more optimized for hid lighting?. The delta between the 2 is crazy so if the difference is modest,.i can't justify the.2k
Old 04-10-11, 01:50 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Kcook700
Damn you got the real deal?? *drool* those are nice. I just can't justify paying that much..
justification is a matter of subjective perspective. some of our fellow CL members here spend a few thousand dollars (and more) on wheels and suspension upgrades on their GS; but to those who don't mod their cars or don't like to mod, they see it as a waste of money. is a set of $2K+ wheels any more justifyable when you can get a set of cheap wheels for around $500-$600? some say yes, some say no. it all depends on each person what they like and what they feel or believe is a good mod. every person here has their own poison (ie: what is justifyable in spending big bucks on), mine just happens to be jdm fogs.

Originally Posted by EleeGS
I guess what I am asking is whether a good conversion kit is essentially the same or if the reflective surfaces in the jdm light enclosure more optimized for hid lighting?. The delta between the 2 is crazy so if the difference is modest,.i can't justify the.2k
since the jdm hid fog light is a true oem projector, you will get better light focus than compared to a hid conversion kit. if the $2K+ price tag for jdm fogs can't be justified, you can always go with a cheaper projector build project with similar or better performance. the only difference is that it doesn't have the oem look and oem integration.

link: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=25

maybe you can find a way to integrate a hid projector similar to the ones found in the above link to what you want. good luck!

Last edited by Stormforge; 04-10-11 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 07:33 PM
EleeGS
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus oem

Did some research as it turns out the lexus jdm hid fogs require some trick wiring for US GS models. The Kit also includes Drls which make it even trickier. Does anyone know if there has been a succesdul installation of a set?
Old 04-11-11, 11:29 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Did some research as it turns out the lexus jdm hid fogs require some trick wiring for US GS models. The Kit also includes Drls which make it even trickier. Does anyone know if there has been a succesdul installation of a set?
both RC51TOFUMA and i have installed it. do a search, you should find mine very easily (hint: check out the 3GS FAQ, it's linked to my posts)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ere-first.html
Old 04-12-11, 08:08 AM
EleeGS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I think that they will look better in perwon. Nice install! Now I have to figure out where to install the DRL button.
Old 04-12-11, 08:29 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
justification is a matter of subjective perspective. some of our fellow CL members here spend a few thousand dollars (and more) on wheels and suspension upgrades on their GS; but to those who don't mod their cars or don't like to mod, they see it as a waste of money. is a set of $2K+ wheels any more justifyable when you can get a set of cheap wheels for around $500-$600? some say yes, some say no. it all depends on each person what they like and what they feel or believe is a good mod. every person here has their own poison (ie: what is justifyable in spending big bucks on), mine just happens to be jdm fogs.
Good point As I paid a few grand for two sets of wheels now for my GS, those are easily justifiable in comparison to the fog lights (IMO). Trust me, I've been mod'n cars for years and I've spent some crazy cash on stupid parts.

Don't get me wrong, those fogs are sweet, but I'm trying to limit my upgrades on my car right now because I know in the back of my mind we'll be getting something else in the next year or so.
Old 04-12-11, 04:21 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Thanks. I think that they will look better in perwon. Nice install! Now I have to figure out where to install the DRL button.

you can do a custom switch like what RC51TOFUMA did, and install it next to the power/snow switch:

or you can mount the jdm switch in the tray under the console box like what i did:
Old 04-13-11, 10:26 PM
EleeGS
Driver School Candidate

Default hard to get

Cl vendors are having a hard time getting these now. Seems like they are temporarily unavailable.
Old 04-14-11, 11:46 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Cl vendors are having a hard time getting these now. Seems like they are temporarily unavailable.
with the disaster that happened in japan, it will take some time before things get back to normal. jdm fogs are worth the wait as long as you are willing to be patient. good luck!
Old 04-15-11, 06:16 AM
EleeGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Front Bumper Pole?

Placed the order but Lexus Japan is asking if I have the "front bumper pole? This affects the fog light install. They said it is most unlikely but wanted to know if you encountered anything like this during the installation?

Update: This is what they were referring to:
http://lexus.jp/models/gs/specificat...xterior_08.jpg

Apparently there are 2 fog light kits. One is tor the harness for bumper that has the POLE and one kit without.
Strange.

Last edited by EleeGS; 04-15-11 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-15-11, 10:33 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Arrow

Placed the order but Lexus Japan is asking if I have the "front bumper pole? This affects the fog light install. They said it is most unlikely but wanted to know if you encountered anything like this during the installation?

Update: This is what they were referring to:
http://lexus.jp/models/gs/specificat...xterior_08.jpg

Apparently there are 2 fog light kits. One is tor the harness for bumper that has the POLE and one kit without.
Strange.
thx for the update; yeah, the front bumper pole is for parking assist, and it is a jdm option only (ie: not available in north america).

get the jdm kit without the the pole.

Quick Reply: Fog light conversion question for 2008GS450h