GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone considering replacing their GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-11, 10:27 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone considering replacing their GS?

As the title says...anyone considering replacing their GS and what vehicle are you considering? I haven't had any major issues with mine and it's been a great car, but I've been itching for something German or more fun. Plus, it sorta bugs me that there are 3 other GS's on my street (excluding mine) that I drive by everyday getting home in my neighborhood. I was the first house built on the street in 2008 and every time a new home popped up after and I saw a GS in the driveway, I thought

Then again, it's nice not having a car payment....
Old 03-25-11, 10:31 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been looking a lot at 2008+ Porsche Cayman S lately. Kids are gone, time for a 2-seater.
Old 03-25-11, 10:53 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

How funny...I spent some time looking at Caymans last week on autotrader. I originally got the GS in case we needed the back seat since I have 3 young kids...but 99.9% of the time I'm alone in the car to/from work. Whenever the whole family heads out, we take the big suv.
Old 03-25-11, 11:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

why would you care how many other gs is on your block? i only care what i have in my garage.

been thinking about getting rid of the gs for a while, but the problem is what to replace it with. quite a lot of options in my mind
Old 03-26-11, 06:08 AM
justlex
Driver School Candidate

Soooo sad i will be getting rid of mine in August for a CLS 63 Amg , if i could afford both i would keep my GS but dont like paying car notes , but i know will still buy the 4th gen GS in future, am sure i ll get tired of the MB soon, but i still love my GS 5years 96000 miles and not one single problem just recalls, i think anyone would be happy they got that in a luxury car
Old 03-26-11, 07:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Wouldn't change it love the design and the technology, The car is nice inside other than the creaks the car rarely see's the dealership, cant say that for my my old BMW X5 i once had that thing once it hit 52,000 Miles it saw the dealership more than the road!
Old 03-26-11, 11:00 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Ya, maybe the new GS(if it looks nice) or upgrade to the LS460. All this in a year or 2 of course.
Old 03-26-11, 01:10 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think about it but no plans yet.
Old 03-26-11, 05:06 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I like my GS to the degree that I want a new one, but can't get one with my non-negotiable specs(has to be smoky granite mica w/grey). My salesperson has been on notice to find one for months. I was at the dlr to have the valve springs recall accomplished and, ironically I got it back the day of the earthquake/tsunami. I was told at that time I now may have my '07 for years to come. They didn't have one GS on display or available.
Old 03-26-11, 05:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there will be a handful to choose from in the next 2 years.

if the next ES looks good, some may even consider switching to FWD.

let's see how the 4gs turns out.
i hope nothing gets lost in translation....... like what happened with the CT; concept was good, production turned out awkward.
Old 03-26-11, 06:14 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

been thinkin about it but there is nothing out there wow me yet,,,

E class- looks good but hate the C-class interior,,
5 series- looks like mini 7 series, same old bmw interior,,
infiniti M- not a big fan on exterior or interior,,,and hell no to 60k
GS- next gen suppose to debut next spring but i will not buy first year model
CLS- looks really good on photos but too pricey

keeping the car for now but dont want to get behind when new GS comes out as well,,,keep the opinion coming guys, want to know what you guys think,,,
Old 03-26-11, 06:29 PM
niteflite
Driver

i've been thinking about it but i just don't know what i would get.... not many rides are smoother than the gs.

how do you think the resale value of the 3gs will be affected once the 4gs comes out? will it go down more quickly? if so i'd be more motivated to get rid of it this yr. tired of the recalls and other little issues
Old 03-26-11, 06:41 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

After some time with my GS i changed my perception to see Lexus on the road..4 years later I see A LOT more GS on the road than in 07 when I got the car. I'm all stock so it bugs me seeing other GS' on the road. You have 3 right by your house! It would really big me then..unless My GS stood much more than the other 3 and other GS' on the road. At least its not an IS..I see tons of those.

What are some preferences you at when looking at a car? I mean that would help a lot more for people who want to throw their opinions your way

Last edited by aLexGS350; 08-24-11 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-26-11, 07:52 PM
dwiall
Driver

The GS is my wife's daily driver and I drive it when we go together. I personally do not like the car and she is always looking for something else. To me, the car just comes across cheap. I love the center counsel but that is about it. I drove an 08 CLS 550 with 20K miles and the car is rock solid and the build quality is way better then the GS. The CLS may not have the reliability of the GS but for $44k out the door with a 135K warranty I would do it if I could swing the extra $200/mn payment.

To the OP, I could never imagine going back to a GS after a CLS 63 AMG. I have never driven a car with 500+Hp, can only imagine how it would be.
Old 03-26-11, 09:30 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

I've found my GS to be very comfortable and reliable (excluding at the minor recalls)...it's just a little unexciting? After driving it 4+ years, I find myself wanting a little more sport...I've been looking at M3, S5, Cayman S. Haven't considered anything larger since the backseat is unused...I like the LS460, but I'll wait until I'm older before I consider it.
My wife keeps making it difficult to not look at other options, telling me to get something new and she'll take the GS...lol.

rominl: I generally don't care too much what other people have, but the other GS's in my neighborhood are literally 3, 5, and 8 houses down. It's not like we drive honda accords...I would like a little exclusivity driving a ~50K car. It's like showing up to work with new shoes and 3 other co-workers have the identical shoes. It sorta takes the excitement away.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering replacing their GS?