GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone considering replacing their GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Just utilitarian stuff like a good set of winter tires, 3000k HID fog lights that actually cut through weather, a moderate tint to keep the interior cool, hard wired battery maintainer since I don't drive often. The only things I've done that don't have a practical use are a set of 18 inch rims for the summer that don't kill the ride since my original rims were trashed and nichia LED replacements for the parking lights since it was just plain ugly before. I'm not much for dropping large amounts of money on stuff that is just for flash unless you count my sportbike which really has no practical use for me any more (it used to be practical when I was commuting and was saving me boat loads of gas). Well, I guess I did replace the shift plate with the 08+ one and that really has no use but I got it for dirt cheap.

I don't see a 4GS in my future unless something (knock on food) terrible happens to this car. Even if we ever got to the point of needing a 2nd car (there is a baby on the way... !) I doubt it would end up being another sedan, I'd be looking at the Venza.
don't get another sedan for baby! cross over or suv, if you don't want minivan

and congrats jay!
Old 03-30-11, 05:16 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i see at least 10-20 GS every day around my town,,my neighbor just got one as well for 22k out the door,,the car is 07 with navi, no ml, and 40,000 miles(WTF),,,is it just our car or whole car market is down right now,,
Old 03-30-11, 05:56 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98OysterES

I'm tired of the creaks and rattles of the GS, and wanted something a bit sportier, and more my age (26)! Plus the BMW has so much more in the way of technology than Lexus offers in any of its vehicles![/B][/SIZE]
sexy car.
nice upgrade. looks tons better than your gs, and no wheel gap.

for anyone considering replacing.......... smart thing to do is wait until the 4GS is revealed. Then go wild.
Old 03-30-11, 06:00 PM
98OysterES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
congrats on the new car 98OysterES!
Originally Posted by Yang1815
That looks sweet. Congrats!
Keep in mind that the F10 is a new generation. Not a fair comparison against the 3GS which came out in 2005.
Originally Posted by dunnojack
sexy car.
nice upgrade. looks tons better than your gs, and no wheel gap.
for anyone considering replacing.......... smart thing to do is wait until the 4GS is revealed. Then go wild.

Thanks ... still waiting for the 5 to make its way over from Germany ... should have it within the next 3-5 weeks! Can't wait!
Old 03-30-11, 06:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want something more sporty but not in place of the GS. I am tired of spending good money on cars then getting rid of them. The GS is a keeper. Its been reliable, its comfortable and stylish. None of those attributes are going to disappear so might as well keep the car. Both of them. When I'm ready I want a sporty coupe...to park right next to the GS.
Old 03-30-11, 06:30 PM
98OysterES
Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
I want something more sporty but not in place of the GS. I am tired of spending good money on cars then getting rid of them. The GS is a keeper. Its been reliable, its comfortable and stylish. None of those attributes are going to disappear so might as well keep the car. Both of them. When I'm ready I want a sporty coupe...to park right next to the GS.
The wife has the Infiniti G37S ... granted it's a convertible, and you have the cowl shake to deal with ... It's still a fun car to drive ... handles well & has been reliable in the year that we've had it! Definately something to consider.
Old 08-12-11, 01:50 PM
Jennat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was considering swapping our GS350 for a Mercedes E350 Coupe, but it is almost paid off and the kids are staring college next year, so I expect that it will remain in the driveway for a while... unless I need to sell it to cover tuition.
Old 08-12-11, 01:54 PM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by energie8
Ya, maybe the new GS(if it looks nice) or upgrade to the LS460. All this in a year or 2 of course.
yup LS460 sounds good
Old 08-12-11, 07:22 PM
Compass
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennat
Mercedes E350 Coupe
This is a nice looking car. Mercedes design has never done a single thing for me... until the current E class.
Old 08-12-11, 07:50 PM
DDS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
Audi A7
Big possibility there.....unless Lexus comes out w/ a High Performance GS (not sure if that is likely)

I've never owned an Audi...and question their long term reliability. I'm a lexus fan but.....

I had an Audi (2001 chipped S4) for over 10 years.

It was a blast to drive although I don't miss the multiple coolant pump failures and oil leaks that I've had over the years. But all in all, it was a pleasure to own and surprised I had it for that long (especially out of warranty).

Audi's reliability has improved greatly over the years but relatively speaking, it's not in the same ballpark compared to Lexus or Acura. I would venture to guess Audi and BMW are similar in terms of reliability with Benz being a notch below.

I traded mine in for a CPO '07 GS because I now have a family and wanted something a little more reliable. The GS is a completely different driving experience and tends to side more towards luxury. It doesn't have the kick your *** torque the S4 had, but it shouldn't have the problems it had either (I hope).
Old 08-12-11, 08:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
You guys are crazy, I'm going to squeeze every drop of value out of the car and drive it until the doors are falling off.

Maybe I'm just cheap but I can't stand to watch car depreciation dollars circling the drain and in this segment that drain happens to be pretty large.

As for the GS in Toronto, at least here downtown I see one here and there but really not very often at all. The IS and RX are everywhere though. So, I still feel like I'm driving something a bit different.
GS is low volume and not as popular in canada as it is in the US, so that provides some exclusivity for GS owners up here.
Old 08-12-11, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

now i am seriously considering the e60 m5. the look does nothing, but something about that darn v10. also love the 996 turbo, but not as practical

but before all that, only if i have buyers to get all my parts, umm....
Old 08-12-11, 10:32 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98OysterES
Just ordered a 2011 BMW 535xi M-Sport w/ 20" Style 312 Ferric Grey Wheels in Alpine White with Cinnamon Brown Interior. It is currently in Bremerhaven awaiting a ship to the US as we speak ... similar vehicle shown below:

I'm tired of the creaks and rattles of the GS, and wanted something a bit sportier, and more my age (26)! Plus the BMW has so much more in the way of technology than Lexus offers in any of its vehicles!
baller from lexus GS to this and by 26. lol.
Old 08-12-11, 10:37 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but before all that, only if i have buyers to get all my parts, umm....
say the word and i bet half of 3GS CL members will be fighting to buy your mods!
Old 08-13-11, 02:01 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

This thread is blasphemy!

Quick Reply: Anyone considering replacing their GS?