GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: BMW 550/650 or Lexus GS350
Bmw: The ultimate driving machine
38.46%
Lexus: Realiable and "Clean"
61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Bmw 550/650i Vs Lexus Gs350

Old 03-14-11, 09:53 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bmw 550/650i Vs Lexus Gs350

I've currently been asking many opinions on what car to get. I know it's going to come down to what I want, but I would like to get as much opinions as possible. I will e keeping this car for maybe 2-3 years so I want to make best of the time So I have narrowed it down to BMW or Lexus. (MAYBE an Infiniti M45)

I test drove a 550, and a 650i and I fell in love with the power the V8 produces. It urges me to push it more. I feel the interior more "modern" though I find it rough than the GS. I will be able to buy no problem but if it's going to cost an arm and a leg to mantain, I can't do it. I am currently saving for a house, and also starting college. BTW, I am talking about the E60 5 series.

I know the GS350 has a powerful V6 as well, and I know it's super reliable. I was also considering the LS430, but now that I drove one, I feel it's more more of an old man's car. I'm 23, so I feel the need for spirited driving at times I have not test driven this car, only got the chance to sit in it since it was late. I was not blown away with the interior, as the 2 tone dash almost reminded me of my GS3. It does feel VERY comfortable and plush though.

I guess what I'm looking for is for input on people who have owned any of the cars I've mentioned. Also, I know many opinions will be biased since this is a Lexus forums. If you could do it again, what car would YOU get? For the spirited drivers, does the GS350 keep you happy?

Last edited by EN_VY; 03-14-11 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 10:53 PM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at getting a 545, m45 and the gs430, simply wanted a nice styled car with enough power to keep me entertained for atleast 4 years. The general agreement is beemers will be costly to maintain, especially a higher mileage 550i, that's a lot more money you're gonna pay up front, they are more mod friendly, though. M45 styling is becoming outdated, the new m57 is sick, even a m37.

The 6 series is a touring coupe in a different category, if I was going to buy a coupe it wouldn't be a huge *** 6series.

You lean more towards a luxury car then a sports car, the GS is a good mix of both. Quality is there, power is there. If I could do it again, I'd go for the GS450hyrid simply for the gas I would save. mid twenties for mid teens is a big different in yearly gas.
Old 03-14-11, 10:54 PM
xxrap985xx
Driver

I owned a 545i e60 And I traded it in for my GS350. I don't regret my decision at alll. I had a lot of problems with my e60. The car handled great and was faster but I couldn't drive the car in any snow even with blizztech tires. if the e60 doesn't have a cpo warranty then don't get it. You will be killing yourself in Maintence and repair cost.
Old 03-14-11, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you care more about driving and fun, the 550i is far better than gs350. not even a close contest.

if you want something reliable that you can drive and just forget about anything else, the gs350 is the car
Old 03-15-11, 06:30 AM
Ken300
Rookie

I will agree with rominl and I'll add one more thing...

Although the Lexus will be (based on the overall history of both brands) more reliable, I'm getting evidence that the parts for the Lexus may actually be more expensive then those for the BMW. This is just my initial opinion, I've owned BMWs for about 8 years and my 1st Lexus for only a couple months but I'm shocked at a few items that I've gotten prices on for the Lexus. I thought some BMW parts were on the high side but Lexus redefines High prices in terms of parts. They may not break often but when they do... oh my ($450 for a replacement fog light, $400+ for a side mirror... ouch
Old 03-15-11, 06:45 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i personally love the 6 series bmws. if i had the choice id take the 650i, has to be a vert though.
Old 03-15-11, 08:20 AM
leonsup
Driver

I've been driving BMW's for over 20 yrs, including a couple V12's & an E46 M3.
My last one(and I do mean last), was an 04 645 vert. Sounds, power, & looks are wonderful. I-drive & reliability were bad. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. We have pretty much replaced all BMW's with Audi's except this '07 GS350 that my wife drives. It's a wonderful combination of looks, room, power & economy. It's out of warranty this month; hopefully I will be just as happy in the future.
Old 03-15-11, 08:29 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

yea my buddy worked for bmw and said the idrive is terrible
Old 03-15-11, 10:05 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cowsgomoo
I looked at getting a 545, m45 and the gs430, simply wanted a nice styled car with enough power to keep me entertained for atleast 4 years. The general agreement is beemers will be costly to maintain, especially a higher mileage 550i, that's a lot more money you're gonna pay up front, they are more mod friendly, though. M45 styling is becoming outdated, the new m57 is sick, even a m37.

The 6 series is a touring coupe in a different category, if I was going to buy a coupe it wouldn't be a huge *** 6series.

You lean more towards a luxury car then a sports car, the GS is a good mix of both. Quality is there, power is there. If I could do it again, I'd go for the GS450hyrid simply for the gas I would save. mid twenties for mid teens is a big different in yearly gas.
Lol, I love the 6 series styling. It's a coupe, yet it's a big body

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx
I owned a 545i e60 And I traded it in for my GS350. I don't regret my decision at alll. I had a lot of problems with my e60. The car handled great and was faster but I couldn't drive the car in any snow even with blizztech tires. if the e60 doesn't have a cpo warranty then don't get it. You will be killing yourself in Maintence and repair cost.
Ok, this is what I always wonder. I hear everyone talk about maitenace on the BMW, but what goes out/wrong? Parts that make the car undriveable?

Originally Posted by rominl
if you care more about driving and fun, the 550i is far better than gs350. not even a close contest.

if you want something reliable that you can drive and just forget about anything else, the gs350 is the car
I guess I love to drive. Sometimes I go out to "cruise" with no destination, just to clear my mind. Why does this decision have t be so hard?! Lol

Originally Posted by Ken300
I will agree with rominl and I'll add one more thing...

Although the Lexus will be (based on the overall history of both brands) more reliable, I'm getting evidence that the parts for the Lexus may actually be more expensive then those for the BMW. This is just my initial opinion, I've owned BMWs for about 8 years and my 1st Lexus for only a couple months but I'm shocked at a few items that I've gotten prices on for the Lexus. I thought some BMW parts were on the high side but Lexus redefines High prices in terms of parts. They may not break often but when they do... oh my ($450 for a replacement fog light, $400+ for a side mirror... ouch
That was my exact thoughts, because I went to the dealer a few times to try and buy replacements I had broken. I guess the difference is that the Lexus doesn't break often
Originally Posted by leonsup
I've been driving BMW's for over 20 yrs, including a couple V12's & an E46 M3.
My last one(and I do mean last), was an 04 645 vert. Sounds, power, & looks are wonderful. I-drive & reliability were bad. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. We have pretty much replaced all BMW's with Audi's except this '07 GS350 that my wife drives. It's a wonderful combination of looks, room, power & economy. It's out of warranty this month; hopefully I will be just as happy in the future.
Exactly what was going wrong? If you don't mind me asking. I LOVE the way the 6ser looks. I can live with i-drive, no biggie. I just don't want to be shelling out 1G every 2 months( a figure I approximate) to have it!
Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
yea my buddy worked for bmw and said the idrive is terrible
It's not THAT bad
Old 03-15-11, 11:23 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

maybe look into a GS450H?...
Old 03-15-11, 11:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Lol, I love the 6 series styling. It's a coupe, yet it's a big body

Ok, this is what I always wonder. I hear everyone talk about maitenace on the BMW, but what goes out/wrong? Parts that make the car undriveable?

I guess I love to drive. Sometimes I go out to "cruise" with no destination, just to clear my mind. Why does this decision have t be so hard?! Lol

That was my exact thoughts, because I went to the dealer a few times to try and buy replacements I had broken. I guess the difference is that the Lexus doesn't break often

Exactly what was going wrong? If you don't mind me asking. I LOVE the way the 6ser looks. I can live with i-drive, no biggie. I just don't want to be shelling out 1G every 2 months( a figure I approximate) to have it!

It's not THAT bad
hahaha, well, do it like me. i have a gs350 and a m3 so depending on my mood, i drive the car i want. but seriously, the two brands are just different. i am not saying the gs350 can't handle well, but it's just not bmw 550. but with bmw you just run the risk of getting a problematic car.

i don't think it's anymore the case to say it's cheaper to maintain (not fix) lexus, maintenance cost is just about the same at dealerships. but over time, parts probably tend to have problem more likely on bmw.

gs450h is better, but only if it has apsss.
Old 03-15-11, 02:51 PM
magneti
Pole Position

the initial idrive was designed by a bunch of engineers who have never driven a car beyond a gremlin.

it was slow, clunky and unresponsive.

now they are at least bearable. not great but not near as terrible.
Old 03-15-11, 03:56 PM
BennyD
Rookie

Originally Posted by EN_VY
I've currently been asking many opinions on what car to get. I know it's going to come down to what I want, but I would like to get as much opinions as possible. I will e keeping this car for maybe 2-3 years so I want to make best of the time So I have narrowed it down to BMW or Lexus. (MAYBE an Infiniti M45)

I test drove a 550, and a 650i and I fell in love with the power the V8 produces. It urges me to push it more. I feel the interior more "modern" though I find it rough than the GS. I will be able to buy no problem but if it's going to cost an arm and a leg to mantain, I can't do it. I am currently saving for a house, and also starting college. BTW, I am talking about the E60 5 series.

I know the GS350 has a powerful V6 as well, and I know it's super reliable. I was also considering the LS430, but now that I drove one, I feel it's more more of an old man's car. I'm 23, so I feel the need for spirited driving at times I have not test driven this car, only got the chance to sit in it since it was late. I was not blown away with the interior, as the 2 tone dash almost reminded me of my GS3. It does feel VERY comfortable and plush though.

I guess what I'm looking for is for input on people who have owned any of the cars I've mentioned. Also, I know many opinions will be biased since this is a Lexus forums. If you could do it again, what car would YOU get? For the spirited drivers, does the GS350 keep you happy?
I got a BMW X6 and it was great and got some attention, but I got bored of the interior quick and the car just became boring, then I got a used 08 GS350 awd and it is so much more fun to drive, I already dropped it, and custom exhaust, intake and some garson parts for the car and it stands out more then the X6, and it handle better in the winter then the BMW.
Old 03-15-11, 04:44 PM
xxrap985xx
Driver

Some the problems I had was the I drive would be real slow. Then I had problems with the electrical problems with the car and it took BMW NA over a month to find the problem. Then I had a trans gasket and oil pan gasket leak. Then the radiator had a leak. I also had random trans slamms.
Old 03-15-11, 04:48 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

It depends on the age of the car. I prefer a BMW V8 over a Lexus V6, no question, but if its an older car with no warranty forget about it. It will cost you too much to own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bmw 550/650i Vs Lexus Gs350