GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sirius Puck Antenna Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-11, 08:22 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sirius Puck Antenna Problem...

I have a 2006 GS300 with ML + NAV, and this past summer I put in Sirius. I even had the puck painted the color of the car (crystal white) so it did not stand out too much and I did not want to go through all the trouble of installing the shark fin. Well this morning I get in my car and no satellite radio, I see the channell's come in but no song or artist and most of all NO SOUND!!! I called the place that installed the satellite and they thought it might be the registration got messed up. However I checked the antenna and did notice that all the bending it that the antenna cable does when the trunk opens has the cable broke a bit and you could see the actual antenna cable underneath in two different locations. I'm figuring since I had the antenna painted it made the cable more rigid to move when trunk gets opened which is a lot, and thus the reason for the antenna cracking in places.

So here are my questions:

1) Any way to splice this cable back together?
2) Where do everybody have their Sirius antenna at trunk or above front windshield.
3) Any other ideas so this does not occur again.
Old 03-14-11, 09:20 AM
maxtcee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by levinsoy
I have a 2006 GS300 with ML + NAV, and this past summer I put in Sirius. I even had the puck painted the color of the car (crystal white) so it did not stand out too much and I did not want to go through all the trouble of installing the shark fin. Well this morning I get in my car and no satellite radio, I see the channell's come in but no song or artist and most of all NO SOUND!!! I called the place that installed the satellite and they thought it might be the registration got messed up. However I checked the antenna and did notice that all the bending it that the antenna cable does when the trunk opens has the cable broke a bit and you could see the actual antenna cable underneath in two different locations. I'm figuring since I had the antenna painted it made the cable more rigid to move when trunk gets opened which is a lot, and thus the reason for the antenna cracking in places.

So here are my questions:

1) Any way to splice this cable back together?
2) Where do everybody have their Sirius antenna at trunk or above front windshield.
3) Any other ideas so this does not occur again.
I got my antenna on the inside by the breaklight its wedged against the light and the glass had it there for the last 2 yrs and got great reception hope this helps
Old 03-14-11, 12:24 PM
levinsoy
Driver

I was told I cannot do that because my car is tinted (35%).

Anybody else have any ideas what I can do besides replacing antenna?
Old 03-14-11, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

tint doesn't mean problem right the way. if you have metallic tint then it's a problem. otherwise i have done install with the antenna inside on a fully tinted car and it works just fine.
Old 03-14-11, 12:48 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XM Problems

Anytime you have a XM or Sirius problem. The first thing to do is a Refresh.

I have had all kinds of strange problems. Some stations working some not. Most of the time the sound will start to work then go out.

On the refresh. You can call it in. Or you can go to the web page.

https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh_view.action

Type in the radio number. And within 5 minutes the radio will start working.

Good luck
Old 03-17-11, 12:38 PM
kahuna2
Driver School Candidate

I agree! My wife's GS350 had similar issue with her Sirius reception, due to the rear tint film. We decided to go ahead and shelled out $60 for the VAIS shark fin cable. Now, no more signal issues.

Originally Posted by rominl
tint doesn't mean problem right the way. if you have metallic tint then it's a problem. otherwise i have done install with the antenna inside on a fully tinted car and it works just fine.
Old 03-17-11, 12:41 PM
kahuna2
Driver School Candidate

Unless your rear tint has copper or other metal in it, the dark tint shouldn't affect the reception. Placing the antenna inside the rear window, next to the third brake light should work just fine.

Old 03-17-11, 07:33 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah I had the same issue when I signed up they had to refresh for it work and it works prefectly, like others said try calling them first and then see whats wrong if not that!
Old 03-26-11, 11:42 AM
HomieG
Driver

Most Sirius radios have a way to check signal strength. Sometimes they call it "Antenna Aiming." If your seeing 1 of 3 bars or 3 of 10 bars (depending on the total number of bars on the antenna signal strength display), they you have enough satellite signal to decode to audio, i.e. your antenna is not the problem. Check that out!
Old 03-27-11, 06:30 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Yup, it was the antenna cable itself that cracked to teh point where it needed to be replaced. Instead of putting it back on the trunk lid I had the installer put it on the front dash on the passenger side (by speaker grill). No problems now. I would have loved to just put the shark fin on but it was too costly.

Thanks for all of the feedback.