GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2011 gs350

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 08:05 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to be exact, a detuned version of the ls460 engine
On the contrary. In straight number, it has a few horses less, but it also weighs quite a bit less, so it's a quicker vehicle and is more efficient. So, in weight to HP ratio, it's an up super-tuned version of the LS460.
Old 02-04-11, 08:15 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
On the contrary. In straight number, it has a few horses less, but it also weighs quite a bit less, so it's a quicker vehicle and is more efficient. So, in weight to HP ratio, it's an up super-tuned version of the LS460.
Yes in fact after the LFA and the ISF, the GS460 is the highest performance Lexus.

Some claim GS450h is faster, but C&D tests have shown them to be same 0-60, and the GS460 is faster 60-130, and most importantly the GS460 can manage 0.9G on the skidpad with stock tires vs 0.82G for the hybrid (battery weight hurts cornering). For those who don't know 0.9G is amazing lateral grip for a V8 sports sedan. Only V8 sedan that beats that is the PanameraS.
Old 02-04-11, 09:54 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekjunkie
I have a 2010 GS350 and I hate the ride. I'm told it's partially because of the runflats. It's an ok car. There are a lot of things I like about it but I'm not so sure I'd get it again. I also came from a BMW(and MB).
yep different car with Michelen Pilots...or non runflats...

When I had the Dunlop runflats the ride was harsh...w new tires it rides like a completey different car.
Old 02-04-11, 11:40 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You can order a GS460. Shouldn't take that long. I would highly recommend it. It has the LS460 powertrain with the absolutely amazing 8-speed automatic. It also has an active variable suspension and power stabilizer which delivers handling on par with the dynamic handling package on a BMW 550i. Quite frankly you will find the stock suspension a bit soft coming from a BMW.

If you have the extra $$ and 6-8 weeks, it is well worth going for the V8. I really enjoy driving mine.
I totally agreed.
Old 02-04-11, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
lol i didn't say the gs460 is slower than the ls460 (that would be sad when gs is supposed to be the sportier version). but it still doesn't changed the fact that the engine in the gs460 is detuned from that in the ls460. didn't happen in the 2gs case
Old 02-05-11, 08:00 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol i didn't say the gs460 is slower than the ls460 (that would be sad when gs is supposed to be the sportier version). but it still doesn't changed the fact that the engine in the gs460 is detuned from that in the ls460. didn't happen in the 2gs case
Yes this is a sad blemish Lexus made to their engineering reputation. No car manufacturer should allow their marketing team to intentionally detune an engine. It's ridiculous, and it cost them a lot of market share.

If I was Mr Toyoda, I would find the man/woman who made that decision, drag them over the coals, publicly humiliate him/her, which in Japan would likely end with the suicide of that individual.
Old 02-05-11, 08:15 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

I never said that you did, nor did I even think it sir.
Old 02-05-11, 08:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chucknsd
HI there,

New to the forum. I am currently driving a BMW plagued with electrical issues since day one. I have had several BMW's over the years, but despite styling and performance, I am tired of going into the dealer for repairs.So it is time to depart German engineering for something less problematic.

I am currently looking at a new 2011 GS 350. I would prefer the V8, but apparently there are not readily available.

Anything I should be aware of regarding the GS350? Are folks overall happy with the reliability?
Welcome and good luck.

Yes in fact after the LFA and the ISF, the GS460 is the highest performance Lexus.

Some claim GS450h is faster, but C&D tests have shown them to be same 0-60, and the GS460 is faster 60-130, and most importantly the GS460 can manage 0.9G on the skidpad with stock tires vs 0.82G for the hybrid (battery weight hurts cornering). For those who don't know 0.9G is amazing lateral grip for a V8 sports sedan. Only V8 sedan that beats that is the PanameraS.
According to Lexus it is the 450h.
The 450h was the fastest production Lexus until the IS F and now LFA. They even state it in brochures.

Not going to get into a pissing match over it but that is how Lexus feels.

Actually the battery can help cornering, it all depends on how you drive. The 911 is a heavy rear engine car and arguably the best handling car.. All 450h's tested seemed to have crappy runflats.

I've driven them at the track. Both are soft and the most noticeable difference was the transmission. Speed was pretty identical to me. To be honest its still puzzling that Lexus sold two very evenly matched cars at around the same price. Really confusing.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-05-11 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-05-11, 08:38 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
All 450h's tested seemed to have crappy runflats.
That sounds like an excuse to me. Run flats are horrible in ride comfort because they have stiff side walls, and that what makes them excellent in corners. That, and saving weight in the trunk is the reason why BMW use them in all of their cars.

If you want to know which car is faster, take the 450H, and 460 to the track. Your battery won't even last a lap, and after that it's just DEAD WEIGHT. But, I don't want to get into a "pissing" match with you either.
Old 02-05-11, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Yes this is a sad blemish Lexus made to their engineering reputation. No car manufacturer should allow their marketing team to intentionally detune an engine. It's ridiculous, and it cost them a lot of market share.

If I was Mr Toyoda, I would find the man/woman who made that decision, drag them over the coals, publicly humiliate him/her, which in Japan would likely end with the suicide of that individual.
i still have a feeling it's marketing, that they don't want to de-value the 450h, which seems to be their focus
Old 02-05-11, 09:08 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, overall I like my 2007 GS350 but I have repeated nuisance issues with the car. Three times I had to have the drivers side mirror mechanism replaced (it wouldn't hold its position). The HVAC unit would allow fresh air in the cabin when it isn't suppose to (had to take the car back to the dealer within an 18 month span for repair).

As for the NAV system, it's annoying that in a city the size of Los Angeles, often the system can't find an address (for a building that's existed for 25+ years). Would sometimes have to 'fool' the nav system inputting different numerical address just so the system would recognize the street name.

All in all, the mechanics of the car are fine. But there are nagging electrical issues that shouldn't exist on a 3 1/2 year old car with 25K miles.
Old 02-05-11, 10:10 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised nobody mentioned this, but I would advise you to wait a few months if you are going to buy a GS. Supposedly, the next generation will be coming out this year so why buy a 2011 when the new style 2012 is right around the corner?
Old 02-05-11, 10:50 AM
daudi81
Rookie

Originally Posted by jre002
Surprised nobody mentioned this, but I would advise you to wait a few months if you are going to buy a GS. Supposedly, the next generation will be coming out this year so why buy a 2011 when the new style 2012 is right around the corner?
That's exactly why I haven't replaced my 06 GS430. I almost went and got a 2011 460, but the sales guy (who is a good friend of mine), just told me to wait a season or two and get the next gen one. So that's what I did =)
Old 02-05-11, 11:38 AM
Riceater
Driver

I have never driven a 5series BMW, actually I've ridden in one but it was more of a basic 5series and very slow; however, I have driven a 4door 335i and a 2 door. Both of which I wasn't very impressed with for the money. All of the buttons are in weird places. The dash just seems kind of cheap comparatively to a Lexus/MB. The one I drove with Nav just didn't seem as easy to navigate through the menus as the GS is. Only BMWs I've ever thought I'd probably be happy with are the M6 and the new M3. Over the past few years I've gotten the opportunity to drive a few of the newer Lexus models (IS350/250, GS350, RX350 and an older RX330). One thing I love about Lexus over BMW is the gauge clusters. BMWs gauge clusters have been the same boring black and white for YEARS.. Lexus has very cool looking gauges and menus. So if I'm being picky.. the gauges on a BMW suck. lol.

I wish I was out of school and had more money so I could afford the new GS model lol. I'll be stuck with buying used for a while
Old 02-05-11, 12:24 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

I know that it is personal taste, but i have yet to see a car in the GS price range that has the stainless steel aviator gauge look to its instrunment panel.

MB, BMW, Audi all are bleh compared to the GS.

Often overlooked as 95% of the time you are in your car you are staring at the gauges and windshield!

Last edited by MelYW; 02-05-11 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 gs350