GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Poor Gas mileage (22 mpg @60 mph)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 09:05 AM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Gas mileage (22 mpg @60 mph)

My gas mileage has gone to hell, and when 21 degrees F tranny won't shift into 6th for about 10 miles.

I put in a K&N filter and I can not get my mpg over 22 while driving 60 mph for 20 miles. I used to get 27 mph on same stretch of road. I run 92 octane with no ethanol.
Also, just started noticing the tranny would not shift into 6th for about 10 miles. Car speed is 60 mph and was running 2300 rpm (should be 1700 rpm), outside temp was 21 degrees F. It is just one thing after another with this car. Think I could put the GS body work on a Toyota?

Anybody have any ideas or should I just take it in again?

2007 AWD GS350

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-02-11, 09:07 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

It's probably due to the fuel sensor issue that they just put out last week. You'll get a notice in the mail to bring your car in when they have everything they need to fix it. Read this: http://www.insideline.com/lexus/gs30...-is-in-us.html
Old 02-02-11, 09:20 AM
dwiall
Driver

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the recall but don't think it will affect the fuel milage as displayed on the dash. I have not smelt any fuel, but a leak would deliver less pressure to the injector but I think I would smell that. I'll give service a call and see what they say.
Old 02-02-11, 11:42 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i had the same problem. if you installed the K&N with a whole intake assemble (such as a short RAM), you will need to reset the ECU - unplug the battery for 15min or so, though it probably will take much less than that to reset. my gas mileage when down hill after i installed my Fujita intake, but it did not throw any codes. once i reset the car, my mileage went back up. i average 25mpg with my AWD to and from work, which is a 55mi commute each way with both highway and stop and go. my mileage went back to close to 30mpg on road trips.
Old 02-02-11, 01:27 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dwiall
Also, just started noticing the tranny would not shift into 6th for about 10 miles... outside temp was 21 degrees F.
Thanks
Dave
Your engine probably hasnt warmed up enough...
Old 02-02-11, 02:56 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My gas mileage has gone to hell, and when 21 degrees F tranny won't shift into 6th for about 10 miles.

I put in a K&N filter and I can not get my mpg over 22 while driving 60 mph for 20 miles. I used to get 27 mph on same stretch of road. I run 92 octane with no ethanol.
Also, just started noticing the tranny would not shift into 6th for about 10 miles. Car speed is 60 mph and was running 2300 rpm (should be 1700 rpm), outside temp was 21 degrees F. It is just one thing after another with this car. Think I could put the GS body work on a Toyota?

Anybody have any ideas or should I just take it in again?

2007 AWD GS350

Thanks
Dave
Same here bro. I think it may have to do with the temperature. During the summer or fall, I got around 26/27 mpg. This winter I get around 21/22 mpg.
Same here, the outside temp is below 30F.

I also notice the car takes longer to go to idle speed than my 03Accord.

07GS350 AWD.
Old 02-02-11, 05:14 PM
dwiall
Driver

Thanks Ryan, I'll try to reset the ECU. I did just notice that while driving at 65 mph with the window cracked I get a very strong sulfur odor coming in the car. Hope the catalytic converter is not shot already. Thank god for extended warranties.
Old 02-02-11, 05:48 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

I too have had issues with my car not shifting into 6th when cold. Even if I put it into sport mode and manually shift it, it says it's in 6th on the dash but it never shifts. I called the dealer and spoke with my service advisor and he said none of our cars should shift like that. I am bringing the car in on Monday to see whats up. I then looked into this on this form and found a lot of other Lexus cars do this including yours.

Can anyone give a solid answer that is normal and why our cars won't shift into overdrive when cold? I have never had this issue with my wifes Lexus and I have never driven a car that doesn't shift into O/D until warm!
Old 02-02-11, 07:14 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Did this start right after installing the K&N? Did you oil the K&N? Over oiling them can lead to oil on the MAF sensor, which can create all sorts of problems.

P.S. I just did a google search. K&N says this is not possible, but I've read about it a few times. You might want to do more homework. I'm only going by what I've read.

Last edited by jjscsix; 02-02-11 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-02-11, 07:58 PM
dwiall
Driver

I was getting bad mileage way before I switched filters. Actually, I put in the new filter because I thought may old one was so dirty it was giving me bad mpg. I got the K & N because it will pay for itself in a short time.

I just read a post on here that someone did their plugs at 60K and it made a big differance.

I don't remember how the Platinum extended warranty works, but I am sure they will say it was an adjustment. I took it in for the spring recall and showed them how the back of the seat does not stop moving when you let go of the adjuster button, it would go all the way forward or all the way back. They looked at it and charged me $30. I asked if it was covered under the warranty and they said NO, it was an adjustment and adjustments are not covered. I asked what they adjusted and she said they put some grease on it. With that in mind I have come to the conclusion that everything can be disquised as an adjustment.

With all this **** I should just get the MB CLS I want.
Old 02-02-11, 10:38 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Winter blend gasoline should account for some of that MPG loss as well.
Old 02-03-11, 09:10 AM
dwiall
Driver

So coming home last night I put it in shift mode and it said I was in 6th after shifting up 2 from 4th. Car was not in 6th so I kick it down and it went to 2nd or 3rd and when I let up it went to 6th. Two things, 1). Thought it was suppossed to stay in the selected gear when you were in manual mode. 2). looks like I have to basically get the rpms way up to build fluid pressure before it will shift into 6th. I guess I will call the stealer and see what they say.

I did reset the ECU this morning and on first try it did not start. I guess this is a good sign, as it had to adjust itself. The motor runs very smooth and I no-longer hear the fuel injectors. I will see how the mpg is on the way to work.
Old 02-03-11, 09:29 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ Please let me know what your dealer says about the 6th gear issue. I am bringing mine in Monday afternoon so they can drive it Tuesday morning to see what's up.
Old 02-03-11, 12:25 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the whole 6th gear issue would be a major concern for me. i have never experienced this, or heard about it outside of this thread.
as to the gas mpg - you should see a difference right off the bat if it corrected the problem. even with the 'winter gas' and a heavy foot, i was at 25.3mpg this morning.
i leave my house before 5am, so in most cases the temp is at or below freezing in the winter months. i have had it as low as 16 degrees last month when i have left for work. i run my car for a minute before i drive off to allow the oil to disperse. that's it. if i had remote start, i would certainly warm the car up longer, but i do not. i have had no issues with mpg or tranny for the 2yrs i have owned the car, running it in this manner. hopefully the ECU reset helped you, but i think it's time for a trip to the stealership to see what is up with your transmission....
Old 02-03-11, 12:48 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So coming home last night I put it in shift mode and it said I was in 6th after shifting up 2 from 4th. Car was not in 6th so I kick it down and it went to 2nd or 3rd and when I let up it went to 6th. Two things, 1). Thought it was suppossed to stay in the selected gear when you were in manual mode. 2). looks like I have to basically get the rpms way up to build fluid pressure before it will shift into 6th. I guess I will call the stealer and see what they say.

I did reset the ECU this morning and on first try it did not start. I guess this is a good sign, as it had to adjust itself. The motor runs very smooth and I no-longer hear the fuel injectors. I will see how the mpg is on the way to work.
You misunderstand how the "manual" mode works. You are only selecting what range of gears the automatic transmission will use. If you have it in 3, then you will stay in 3 until redline... I believe it will still upshift if you keep giving it gas though?

All you are doing is telling the transmission to pretend it only has up to the number of gears you've selected. I've only found it useful to keep it from hunting between first and second gear too much when crawling in traffic.

So just to make it crystal clear, having 3 selected, the transmission will still shift between 1 2 and 3 normally. If you have it set to 6, and you stop, it still downshifts until it gets into first gear, and upshifts normally all the way up to 6 just the same as if you had it in D.

Quick Reply: Poor Gas mileage (22 mpg @60 mph)