GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rear lamps MOD for NON-US Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 07:35 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jea
Can you please kindly post the link? Sorry that I never heard of UAE.. Do they ship internationally? I'm located in Australia.
I'm sure that there are a lot of "part shops" exists in your country. And you can get or order anything for your car. This is not a problem even for small countries, where Lexus cars a bit.

P.S.
There are a lot amount of "spare-parts" warehouses in UAE cuz Dubai have 0 percent sales tax, 0 percent income tax.
Old 05-02-11, 08:04 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

But be careful ordering parts from a country that has left hand drive cars! Australia has right hand drive.
Old 05-02-11, 05:43 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the mod Renat.
Old 05-03-11, 08:40 AM
jea
Rookie

Originally Posted by RenatUSSR
I'm sure that there are a lot of "part shops" exists in your country. And you can get or order anything for your car. This is not a problem even for small countries, where Lexus cars a bit.

P.S.
There are a lot amount of "spare-parts" warehouses in UAE cuz Dubai have 0 percent sales tax, 0 percent income tax.
But if I order the inner taillight from my country, I'm pretty sure I will be getting the same 1 on my car(with rear foglight).

Originally Posted by designo
But be careful ordering parts from a country that has left hand drive cars! Australia has right hand drive.
Isn't it the taillight will be the same for both left and right hand drive?

Last edited by jea; 05-03-11 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-03-11, 10:24 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jea
But if I order the inner taillight from my country, I'm pretty sure I will be getting the same 1 on my car(with rear foglight).
If you say in a right part-shop this...

Toyota Part Numbers
81591-30220
81581-30280
81585-30280 (2 x wires)

... you will get the american inner lamps.

This is very easy.
Old 05-07-11, 08:36 AM
yamanote
Driver

Originally Posted by designo
UAE = United Arab Emirates, located in the Middle East. It's a Gulf country which has the cities of Dubai and Abu Dhabi in it!

http://www.lexus.ae/

WOW! Never seen those tail lights before! I wonder if mine had fog lights? I have front ones but never checked rears!
Ahah yeah that's the new (for 2010) blue tinted hybrid tailights. Never really noticed how the inner lamps look odd but now that this thread mentions it...
I'd probably buy a US spec inner lamp to replace that fugly fog bulb in the inner lamp [if I still had the car that is].
Old 05-09-11, 04:36 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arantant
Now I understand that the inner rear light is linked to the front fog lights turning on so that's why you call them rear fog lights
No.
In european GSs rear fog lights turn on seperatly from front fog lights. You can turn on any fog lights you wish.
Old 11-24-12, 10:07 AM
nary4tom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I think fog lights, at least in stock form on most cars, are useless in every way. They became a differentiating feature between "low end" and "high end" model trims just for aesthetics.

Back when they used yellow lights, they had some benefit in cutting the fog. White HID fogs are somewhat useful for lighting the road up a bit more but do nothing when it's actually foggy.

Best of both worlds is to put yellow HIDs in the fogs. To this day, I can tell that yellow fogs are still not considered "stylish" but I think they look great on my black car and I still catch people checking my lighting out at night at stop lights. They're just not used to seeing the ground so lit up with yellow light.

P.S. I also agree the tail lights on the 3GS are great looking. They still look fresh even after all of this time. In contrast, the tail lights on the IS are starting to look a bit gimmicky. I've never been a fan of the lights with distinct points of light in them which I believe Infiniti started doing first?

While similar in design to the GS, I find myself really hating these tail lights. They a bit too anime eyeballs with eyelashes to me:

love those LED
Old 11-26-12, 10:18 AM
designo
Pole Position

So once again, does anyone have actual "fog light" on the rear? My GS does not have rear fog lights.
Old 04-20-13, 10:38 AM
georgewap
Driver School Candidate

I know I`m answering a little late, but is my first post here on forum.
Attached are 3 pictures taken just a few moments ago, in which you can see EU Lexus GS.
1st picture: parking lights
2nd picture: parking lighs + break lights
3rd picture: parking lights + rear fog lights
I hope this helped you.
George
Attached Thumbnails Rear lamps MOD for NON-US Lexus GS-2013-04-20-19.56.12.jpg   Rear lamps MOD for NON-US Lexus GS-2013-04-20-19.57.57.jpg   Rear lamps MOD for NON-US Lexus GS-2013-04-20-19.56.38.jpg  
Old 04-20-13, 10:56 AM
designo
Pole Position

Thank you

I like being different, I think I would like to take those EU lights off you!
Old 04-20-13, 02:27 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Thanks very much George - I was really wanting to see the rear foglights. Having been rearended HARD several years ago I like the idea of increased visibility from behind.
Old 03-26-14, 02:25 AM
DainisL
Driver School Candidate

Are both of the wires included in this part:

81585-30280 (2 x wires)

Or do I need to order two of these?

Thanks
Old 02-05-15, 06:48 PM
lx88071934
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by RenatUSSR
In American GS no fog lights, but the inner section shine as parking lights. So initially the car is made for the American market and we thanks to European laws (which are not allowed to use the four-marker lamps) car loses its original condition.

Ordered internal lamp section -
Toyota Part Numbers
81591-30220
81581-30280
81585-30280 (2 x wires)

Easy install procedure
MOD Cost - 200$ !

1st pic - comparision of european lamp (right) and american (left)
2nd pic - Before MOD (European rear inner lamps)
3, 4, 5 pics - After MOD

More pics >
http://www.drive2.ru/p/cjr/OGAAAAACZHwEAAAAAAP79w
Hi dear.
This MOD do not break any wires of the original design, just change the lights and wires. Is it?
Old 01-28-21, 08:32 AM
petch
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi fellow 3GS owners,

After many years of browsing the forum for various informations on my previous Lexus cars, I finally created an account to ask a few questions. hope they’ll contribute to help as well.

Owner of an european spec here. Thanks to this thread, parts are on their way to get a full taillight braking light / fog light remove. i'd like to find a way to keep the foglights (to be seen from a distance can save you from being rearended...) but as it is not something we use everyday here, I'll figure this when I'll receive the inner lamps.

But I have a few more questions regarding US spec head & tail lights in general

Tail lights first: Can someone confirm that every 3GS in the US also have a "side marker" on the outer tail light?

As seen on members rides:

Or official Lexus pictures (but harder to see for some reason...):

I don't know how to explain that but its been extremely confusing as I found 0 info on it. I found a few pictures here and there of 3GS and noticed that they sometimes have a side lamp turned on and I was wondering if it was something OEM. JDM 3GS have the full brake light but don't seem to have that extra light on the outer headlamp.
JDM GS (which is even more confusing because they have both LHD & RHD versions...):

This ad posted on eBay is shown lit, claims to be OEM but no side marker:

An IS posted above also has it. I assume it is OEM if I believe Wikipedia about it:
In the United States, amber front and red rear side marker lamps and retroreflectors are required. The law initially required lights or retroreflectors on vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1968. This was amended to require lights and retroreflectors on vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1970.[43] These side-facing devices make the vehicle's presence, position and direction of travel clearly visible from oblique angles.

But I see no difference in wiring between the 2 and it looks like the EU and US spec outer tail lights are identical (except for the wire colour):

I have yet to check the part numbers but I only found the US specs ones on the Atlanta Store (they're all the same from a gs430 to a 350 & 460 so now I’m fairly sure it isn’t something from a specific model/year):

The 450h of that era wasn’t available on the website so I couldn’t compare but I know the part number would differ as they’re blue-ish chrome on the facelift version
Facelift GS450H with blue-ish chrome & side light:

I'd like to go deeper to give mine an extra US look (grass is always greener on the other side they say...) so I was wondering if I could make it work on my actual EU tail lights? Am I missing something with that side marker?

Headlights now. Although I'm not entirely sure about the taillights, I know for a fact that headlights and wiring on the front are different between the US and EU. The main difference being the amber side light, we don't have those in EU. But if you look closely, it seems like the part of the amber light is fulfilled on the EU one and I might need to just drill a little hole (with a dremel tool for instance) on it to make it fit the amber bulb (thanks to the US-spec wiring harness).

This is how the harness looks like for a US version, with the 2 things circled in green being either the amber light or the inner driving lamp:

Has anyone done a EU to US or US to EU headlight conversion to their car before to confirm what I think about the amber light?
Sorry for the long post, tried to make it pleasant to read with all the pictures, thanks in advance to those who'll give answers!

Cheers

Quick Reply: Rear lamps MOD for NON-US Lexus GS