GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Well, my VSR didn't go so well...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 12:42 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, my VSR didn't go so well...

I waited a while to get my recall done, hoping any kinks would be out of the system, so I took my car in two weeks ago to get the recall done. I got it back a week later seemingly perfect. The mileage was pretty good--which is a concern over on the 450h subsection.

About 200 miles later (and 120 from home), I was merging on to a crowded freeway when I noticed I had reduced power and then came a plethora of warning lights (check engine, hybrid system...) The car was able to use electric power at about 40mph to get me off the freeway. About then I noticed the smell of fuel so we got out of the car.

Noticed this:

Popped the hood and noticed fuel all over the insulation pad, all over the inverter and engine block as well as under the car!

We called Lexus Roadside who directed us to call 911 before they would send a tow truck. We got a mobile command unit and a pumper who finally deemed that they cur wouldn't spurt fuel unless the car was started. So we got a tow truck:

So we were stuck in Sacramento (~150 miles from home) at 11pm on Sunday. Luckily we were able to get a room at a nearby Hampton Inn, which should be reimbursed. Got over to Lexus Sacramento and they found a disconnected and missing fuel line and got me back on the road. Now though, my entire car smells of gasoline and--surprisingly--the oil on the dipstick seems to smell as well. Hopefully my home dealership takes care of me.

Word of caution--double check the fuel line and clamps on the left side of the engine bay. This could've gone much worse.
Old 01-24-11, 01:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

omg, really sorry to hear that what a hassle all the trouble you had to go through hope your home dealership will take care of everything...
Old 01-24-11, 01:22 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dam that sucks bad!!!!
Old 01-24-11, 01:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like the mechanic who did the recall messed up.

Did you call your dealer about it? Hopefully they will put everything right, get rid of the smell, etc. If they push back, call lexus.
Old 01-24-11, 01:23 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

wow looks like someone rushed to get it out and didnt double check. lexus should definitely reimburse you the hotel fees
Old 01-24-11, 01:43 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow....but like you said, it could've been much worse. Sorry to hear. Just glad that nothing caught fire. Or maybe that would've been a good thing? LOL!
Old 01-24-11, 02:10 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

wow! glad you are okay and i sure hope your dealer will take care of you!

keep us posted on what the dealer does for you!
Old 01-24-11, 03:05 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So these dealership charge 125-150 a hr for this type of service? I would not only be calling the dealership who did the work but a lawyer as well. They are suppose to the frites ones to work on our cars and know what they are going along with double checking their work since it is a Lexus mechanic right? This is unacceptable for a dealership I hope you get more than your hotel fees back.
Old 01-24-11, 03:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

damn!

that's all i can say. I would be pissed.

that is a huge error. MISSING fuel line!

When the recall notice came out, it said only master techs are supposed to do this recall.
It sounds like a junior tech did yours...........

That gas smell is gonna be hard to remove. it will be a while.

I feel like sending this thread to my dealer.
I haven't done the recall yet. I don't plan on doing it this year.
Old 01-24-11, 03:55 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

I left two messages at the dealer this morning with my SA. One to express my frustration with the danger of the situation as well as being stranded, and another to clarify the other dealer's solution and prompt his action. I got a quick call back from both my SA and the Service Manager at my home dealership and I should see some resolutions shortly.

Way I see it they should change my oil right now (even though i'm only about 1000 miles in), include a free service (or more), and detail the car. I would also like for them to replace the insulation pad and possibly the inverter cover. I don't know how the petroleum in the gas eats the plastics in there.

I may write or call corporate to express my frustration.

Thanks for the support, and I'll definitely keep you all posted on the outcome of the situation.

Last edited by lucasb7; 04-20-11 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-24-11, 04:40 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ouch... keep us posted. Thanks.
Old 01-24-11, 07:09 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Wow that's a rare sight! A Lexus on a flatbed?

Good luck bro!
Old 01-24-11, 08:23 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to hear about this......exactly the reason I dont want to get mine done at all. Hope it all works out.
Old 02-08-11, 10:59 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Sorry to bring back the terrible memories but I've finally closed out this issue.

My GS spent a week at my dealership. Apparently the line that came undone was the return fuel line, so their shouldn't have been too much gas lost.

They detailed the entire car's interior and exterior, gave me a full tank of gas, and went over all of the recall procedures apart from what occurs under the valve covers. The gas smell is gone and the car seems to be back to perfect! Towing and hotel have been reimbursed.

They are giving me my 30k service for free. I am relatively satisfied with the outcome though I am considering writing a letter to corporate to express my frustration and see if they want to remove the expiration date on my $1500 coupon.

On the plus side, I've had a 3RX 350 with nav, premium stereo, xenons, auto high beams... for about 2.5 weeks (1 week for recall and then for them fixing it). There was also 2 days with a 450h with similar options from Lexus of Sac. I even took one to the snow for a week. They're comfortable and have done a good job keeping the mileage off my cars. Not to mention that I am now VERY jealous of Destination Assist--who needs voice recognition when you have a real person. If Lexus Link had that I'd still be paying for it.
Old 02-08-11, 11:02 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

glad to hear lexus did everything they could to help

Quick Reply: Well, my VSR didn't go so well...