GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dash noise fix success rate ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 10:06 PM
kd1659
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash noise fix success rate ?

Ok , dealer says my 06 GS with 15k miles needs the dash took out and insulated to fix the little "tick" I have . Question is for those thats had this done is it worth the risk of creating more problems and has this fixed the noise for you . Thanks
Old 01-15-11, 10:14 PM
ESU1909
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine done......the noise comes and goes.....but not as bad.
Old 01-16-11, 09:09 AM
kd1659
Driver School Candidate

I'm waitin till it at least gets much worse . Smooth road or radio on and I don't notice it .
Old 01-16-11, 09:15 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

If you are going to do it, do it now...you are running out of warranty time. This allows a chance to redo it under warranty if necessary....many of us here have had it done at least a couple of times.

Also, it becomes more difficult as the temp starts to warm.

Mine are 90% gone...remaining 10% is tolerable. Good luck.
Old 01-16-11, 09:23 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's interesting. I haven't had much issue with dash noise. For me I have had a lot of issues with noise coming from doors and from seat.

1) door rattle in drivers door when I first bought car. They fixed it.
2) windshield rattle. fixed per tsib.
3) door rattle in passenger door. Also fixed
4) Current door rattle in rear right passenger door.
5) Seat rattle from drivers seat.

Taking it in tomorrow for seat rattle and door rattle.
Old 01-16-11, 09:27 AM
mrblack
Rookie

Mine was done month or two ago and so far so good. 2007 with 27k miles. Wasnt bad before I brought it in either, had only just started hearing the "creak/squeak" and a few rattles over bumbs on occasion when I made the appt.

I need to hunt down a noise in my seat though. Dealer states they dont hear it..

May be a slightly loose or rubbing spring or wire thing the seats or framed with in the lower back area. A tick/click sound when weight shifts in turns. Cant reproduce by moving my body around in the seat only when car is going through curves or turns. Havent taken the seat apart to look yet though.
Old 01-16-11, 09:50 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrblack
Mine was done month or two ago and so far so good. 2007 with 27k miles. Wasnt bad before I brought it in either, had only just started hearing the "creak/squeak" and a few rattles over bumbs on occasion when I made the appt.

I need to hunt down a noise in my seat though. Dealer states they dont hear it..

May be a slightly loose or rubbing spring or wire thing the seats or framed with in the lower back area. A tick/click sound when weight shifts in turns. Cant reproduce by moving my body around in the seat only when car is going through curves or turns. Havent taken the seat apart to look yet though.
This is same thing I have. I get a clink sound when I accelerate. At first I thought it was because I had my tumi laptop bag and the metal piece that attached the shoulder strap was clinking, but then I realized this happened when the car is empty too.

Wouldn't surprise me if its a coin stuck in the rail.
Old 01-16-11, 09:51 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

FYI you need to get a good dealer who actually hears the sound to fix it. I once took my car to another dealer who couldn't hear it, worked on it anyway, and actually made the door rattle worse. Then I took it to a second dealer who has better engineers, and they guy there instantly recognized it and fixed it within an hour.
Old 01-16-11, 09:59 AM
kd1659
Driver School Candidate

Nephew works for Lex so I can get it done anytime but I expect its about like the 10% noise on yours now . Not heard good enough reports here yet on the fix . So much for Lexus being awesome cars !
Old 01-17-11, 11:54 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kd1659
Ok , dealer says my 06 GS with 15k miles needs the dash took out and insulated to fix the little "tick" I have . Question is for those thats had this done is it worth the risk of creating more problems and has this fixed the noise for you . Thanks
You have an '06 with 15,000 miles? Seems extremely low. And you're out of warranty now, so how are you getting the dealer to do the fix? I hope you're not paying for it, it's like a $1500 job. And i had it done 2x to mine, and it's as bad as it ever was. Some people claim greater success. I gave up.
Old 01-17-11, 02:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Turned out my door rattle was caused by someone leaving a pair of 3D cinema glasses in-between the right rear seat and the door. Felt like a bit of an idiot when the tech figured that out.
Old 01-17-11, 03:21 PM
kd1659
Driver School Candidate

It had 13000 in Oct when I bought it !
Old 01-18-11, 04:49 AM
ProfDoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kd1659
Don't know about anyone else, but I had the dash rattles bad. Raised hell and took three trips, but they finally went all out did what they already knew they needed to do. No problems since, and I have just over 50k on my 07 GS350. There are service bulletins and they know it. Make them do it.
Old 01-18-11, 05:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i had mine fixed in december of 08 and to date im still rattle free
Old 01-18-11, 10:54 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ProfDoc
Don't know about anyone else, but I had the dash rattles bad. Raised hell and took three trips, but they finally went all out did what they already knew they needed to do. No problems since, and I have just over 50k on my 07 GS350. There are service bulletins and they know it. Make them do it.
I went to a dealer last year, with my '06 300, and mentioned that I might be interested in trading in for an '07 350. But I also mentioned that my interior was a rattletrap, and that i'd had it in 3x for fixes but nothing helped. So I specifically asked the salesman about the '07 and up models about this, and he said "Oh yeah they fixed all that on the '07 and later. You never have to do the dash fix".

I'm sorry but that just pissed me off. I knew damn well he was lying, and I just walked away. Stuck with a creaky, rattling 'luxury' car for life I guess. And no, I refuse to trade in and take the $13,000 loss, Even though I bought used. You can't give away an '06 GS 300, just look at Autotrader. It's buy an LS get a GS free out there.

So much for the vaunted Lexus Resale value.

Quick Reply: Dash noise fix success rate ?