GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

The reason for your squeaky brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 10:20 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I call BULLSHIET on all of the reply's, The reason for Squeaks is horrible toyota brake pads. I have Akebono brake pads, I emailed company asking what's they're suggested brake in procedure they answered "Put them on and drive". Not once did it squeak. The only other thing that would make them squeak is the Brake shims, but if brake shims are good then you're pads gotta go. There is nothing good about OEM pads, They DUSTY, make noise, priced higher then better pads ( Akebono's) Last half of what ceramic pads last.
According to tirerack.com, it seems as if it varies with the different brake pad brands. You are right that Akebono doesn't require a bed-in, but it seems like other brands may require it. I'm trying to find out if the OEM pads require a bed-in. Not too much info on that it seems.

Reference: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85
Old 01-14-11, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmd
According to tirerack.com, it seems as if it varies with the different brake pad brands. You are right that Akebono doesn't require a bed-in, but it seems like other brands may require it. I'm trying to find out if the OEM pads require a bed-in. Not too much info on that it seems.

Reference: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85
i can't remember about my gs350 anymore. but back when 3gs first came out in 2006, a tech told me (for gs430), needs to be easy on the first few hundred miles and make sure pads/rotors cool before shutting off the car (for example back from long trips).

i kind of babied brakes on my gs350 for about 250 to 300 miles iirc. but again, that's just what i heard, i never read any docs on this
Old 01-14-11, 03:16 PM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 02. cents. ive done my own brakes on, expedition, altima, accord. with ceramic brake pads from autozone and ive never had any squealing. can you please tell me where to get these pads your talking about? my car is now squeaking. and i do believe its the pads. ive never brocken any pads in. to me that just sounds crazy. if you pull off caliper, push in piston, remove and replace pad, i dont see whats the BIG deal. i think its a gimmick. ill try it on my car and let you guys know how it goes. again, where can i get those pads?
Old 01-15-11, 12:08 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i can't remember about my gs350 anymore. but back when 3gs first came out in 2006, a tech told me (for gs430), needs to be easy on the first few hundred miles and make sure pads/rotors cool before shutting off the car (for example back from long trips).

i kind of babied brakes on my gs350 for about 250 to 300 miles iirc. but again, that's just what i heard, i never read any docs on this
After further looking up things, I think that what you said is the general consensus with OEM pads. I went 30-5mph's a few times, but nothing harsh. Just got my car back today from my mechanic, and what a difference new OEM pads, rotors, front UCA's, LBJ's, and tie rods make!
Old 01-15-11, 12:53 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnunez2
my 02. cents. ive done my own brakes on, expedition, altima, accord. with ceramic brake pads from autozone and ive never had any squealing. can you please tell me where to get these pads your talking about? my car is now squeaking. and i do believe its the pads. ive never brocken any pads in. to me that just sounds crazy. if you pull off caliper, push in piston, remove and replace pad, i dont see whats the BIG deal. i think its a gimmick. ill try it on my car and let you guys know how it goes. again, where can i get those pads?
Go to tirerack.com see the brake section for Akebono pro act brakes. They are ceramic.
Old 01-15-11, 12:13 PM
poppyseed
Driver School Candidate

Default recommend?

Originally Posted by rominl

ROMINL...what;s your recommendation on the Akebono brakes. My car is starting to scream/yell when I back up. It does not squeak going forward, except backing up.

1) Akebono Street Performance Pads (Premium)
2) Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads (Premium)
3) Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads (Premium)

Your thoughts?

Thank you...

06GS 300
Old 01-15-11, 01:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

man the LS forum is also filled with brake noise issue threads. Whats up with Lexus?? I had the brakes replaced on my GS350 twice under warranty but when they replaced them I never heard any noise after that. With my LS I do baby the car so I generally never get on the brakes really hard
Old 01-15-11, 01:35 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
man the LS forum is also filled with brake noise issue threads. Whats up with Lexus?? I had the brakes replaced on my GS350 twice under warranty but when they replaced them I never heard any noise after that. With my LS I do baby the car so I generally never get on the brakes really hard
My GS350 was also replaced twice under warranty, but only lasted a year.
Then the noise came back.
Old 01-15-11, 11:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by poppyseed
ROMINL...what;s your recommendation on the Akebono brakes. My car is starting to scream/yell when I back up. It does not squeak going forward, except backing up.

1) Akebono Street Performance Pads (Premium)
2) Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads (Premium)
3) Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads (Premium)

Your thoughts?

Thank you...

06GS 300
your guess is as good as mine. i have never tried akebono stuff and i never had squeak with my factory setup.

but fwiw, you have 06 gs300, it has smaller brakes, not the same kind of brakes people with gs350/450/430/460 have.
Old 01-16-11, 02:29 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

We own a 2002 LS430, and the brakes on that car are crap! Every 6000 miles they are replaced.
Old 01-16-11, 04:36 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys just buy good aftermarket pads (I have EBC Reds)and you will be straight. I'v never heard a peep out of them. I also have a set of endless pads Im putting on next. Its worth the money and the headache.
Old 03-16-14, 03:57 PM
gmmdhoward
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Break Noise (Saftey Issue?)

We went to arbitration against Lexus over our 2012 LS 460 Sport. Our lawyer found a Technical Internal Service Bulletin (TISB) dated Feb. 23, 2012 as I recall discussing a possible fix to squeaking brakes. During the arbitration, Lexus Technical Expert Michael Bell stated that the TISB was public knowledge and we were at fault as poor consumers for buying a car with performance Brembro Brakes that are known to squeak. He said many of Lexus past and present models cars have performance brakes that are known to squeak. He said informed consumers know and accept the squeaking brakes to enjoy the performance. My soccer mom wife bought the Lexus for the styling and two toned leather seats. If she had known of the squeaking brakes she would have bought another model without the squeaking Brembro Brakes. Mr. Bell also said that the squeaking noise could be an indicator of impending brake failure, and this is why it is hidden in the owners manual that these performance brakes should be inspected every 5000 miles. I believe this is a consumer safety issue. My wife and I are 50 year old physicians and were surprised at the response of Lexus and the Sterling McCall Lexus dealership in Sugar Land, Texas. We will never buy a Lexus vehicle again. We were informed that individuals can't sue under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act. My hope is another car maker or State Attorny General will sue Lexus and expose this safety issue.
Old 03-16-14, 05:42 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gmmdhoward
We went to arbitration against Lexus over our 2012 LS 460 Sport. Our lawyer found a Technical Internal Service Bulletin (TISB) dated Feb. 23, 2012 as I recall discussing a possible fix to squeaking brakes. During the arbitration, Lexus Technical Expert Michael Bell stated that the TISB was public knowledge and we were at fault as poor consumers for buying a car with performance Brembro Brakes that are known to squeak. He said many of Lexus past and present models cars have performance brakes that are known to squeak. He said informed consumers know and accept the squeaking brakes to enjoy the performance. My soccer mom wife bought the Lexus for the styling and two toned leather seats. If she had known of the squeaking brakes she would have bought another model without the squeaking Brembro Brakes. Mr. Bell also said that the squeaking noise could be an indicator of impending brake failure, and this is why it is hidden in the owners manual that these performance brakes should be inspected every 5000 miles. I believe this is a consumer safety issue. My wife and I are 50 year old physicians and were surprised at the response of Lexus and the Sterling McCall Lexus dealership in Sugar Land, Texas. We will never buy a Lexus vehicle again. We were informed that individuals can't sue under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act. My hope is another car maker or State Attorny General will sue Lexus and expose this safety issue.
That's a bunch of BS. I have a GS350 that's far from having performance brakes and they still squeak but only in reverse. Also the bit about impending break failure is complete BS. I replaced my OEM pads and rotors with aftermarket rotors and pads and they still squeak in reverse only. The Lexus is a great car outside of the little annoying brake squeak. I would not worry if I were you about safety issues due to squeaking brakes LOL.
Old 03-16-14, 05:51 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

I have a nasty grind in reverse sometimes. It's not what I'd expect from a Lexus and is kinda embarrassing in parking lots, but I don't feel unsafe driving it. I'm more concerned with my tires rubbing in reverse lol.
Old 04-15-14, 06:04 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

So I took my GS to the dealership and had them take a look at the squeaky brake issue and they could not find anything wrong. But the weirdest thing happened in that since I took it to the dealership it has not had any noise issues whatsoever. The fix could just be as simple as taking the pads and pins out and cleaning everything up. Who knows.

Quick Reply: The reason for your squeaky brakes.