GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus GS 460 Rear Vibrating Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 12:12 PM
glacier221
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus GS 460 Rear Vibrating Noise

I just recently got the car.

One time when I was driving, I decided to try the manual mode. I put it on first and it started acting a little weird, so I put it back to drive. But ever since then, there's this slightly annoying vibrating sound coming from the rear.

I dont actually feel any vibration, it's just a sound of vibrating. The suspension seems good, I dont hear any clunking on imperfect roads, but even on flat surfaces, low or high speed I can hear the slight vobrating sound. It doesnt make the sound when the vehicle is stopped though.

Did I mess up my transmission from going manual mode? Thank you.
Old 05-09-20, 02:57 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Check you guibo in the driveshaft. its a rubber isolator absorbs shock. Put the car on jack stands, with the transmission in neutral grab the driveshaft and spin it back and forth with your hands to feel any noticeable slack.
Old 05-09-20, 09:42 AM
glacier221
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Check you guibo in the driveshaft. its a rubber isolator absorbs shock. Put the car on jack stands, with the transmission in neutral grab the driveshaft and spin it back and forth with your hands to feel any noticeable slack.
I wont have free time until monday to check it. If it does have any slack in it, would I have to replace the driveshaft itself or is just the giubo itself?
Old 05-09-20, 10:01 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Also what about the condition of the tires, if they are cupped or have uneven tread pattern they can make a growl vibrating sound. You can run your hand over the tread and if you feel any uneven tread then that maybe your issue.
Old 05-09-20, 12:23 PM
glacier221
Driver School Candidate

Also what about the condition of the tires, if they are cupped or have uneven tread pattern they can make a growl vibrating sound. You can run your hand over the tread and if you feel any uneven tread then that maybe your issue.
Tires are new, got Falken FK510s as soon as I got them.
Old 05-11-20, 05:30 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a loose muffler protector in the rear making hard to find noise. Make sure those mufflers shields are fastened. It is easy to repair.
Old 05-14-20, 10:26 AM
glacier221
Driver School Candidate

I jacked up the car and not even taking long, my rear, right shock was leaking bad. My sway bar bushings and end links were perfectly fine. So I'm going ahead to have the shocks replaced.
I'm going to update the thread once thats done.
Thanks everyone for the recommendations.
Old 05-14-20, 12:19 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

A leaking shocks more likely will not give you a vibration. A little leaking from the shock is ok, aslong as the dampening is still there. Unless the shocks are totally blown out and after you hit a bump they flop around.

I would take off the rear wheels and have them checked by the place that you purchased new tires from. Tell them you are getting rear vibrations after you installed the tires. While spinning the wheels on the balancer examine the inner barrel of the wheel with your phones flash light, make sure the actual wheel spins true and no bends. If you have a bent wheel it will give you vibrations, and best to fix it. Many shops that install tires, will put a bent wheel in the rear just because it wont get felt in the steering wheel. Also who knows maybe balance weight fell off the wheel and the wheels are off balance.
Old 05-14-20, 12:34 PM
glacier221
Driver School Candidate

A leaking shocks more likely will not give you a vibration. A little leaking from the shock is ok, aslong as the dampening is still there. Unless the shocks are totally blown out and after you hit a bump they flop around.

I would take off the rear wheels and have them checked by the place that you purchased new tires from. Tell them you are getting rear vibrations after you installed the tires. While spinning the wheels on the balancer examine the inner barrel of the wheel with your phones flash light, make sure the actual wheel spins true and no bends. If you have a bent wheel it will give you vibrations, and best to fix it. Many shops that install tires, will put a bent wheel in the rear just because it wont get felt in the steering wheel. Also who knows maybe balance weight fell off the wheel and the wheels are off balance.
I dont get rear vibrations, thats just how they sounded like. I got my tires from Discount Tire, and Ive had my tires changed by them on my other cars 5 times already and never had a problem.
The RR shock also seems to have blown out considering just how much it leaked in a span of a week that I had the car, since it wasn't there when I got it.
After the shocks have been replaced (part comes in next week) and the noise is still theres, then I'll know what to suspect next.
Thank you for all the replies so far, I appreciate them.
Old 05-21-20, 12:05 AM
glacier221
Driver School Candidate

Update: Ive had the time to get it replaced, the shocks were the culprit as suspected. No more noise coming from the rears.
The following users liked this post:
Farqui (05-21-20)