GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Top Gear on BBC rates our 3rd gen GS as ugly

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 07:26 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear on BBC rates our 3rd gen GS as ugly

Old review, came across it while looking at Top Gear's site. They really hate Lexus it seems.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/lexus/gs-300-430

‘Looks like a fat lad in too-small Speedos – draws your eye for all the wrong reasons.’

"The Lexus GS is a large saloon. Not the prettiest of lumpen beetles for those who consider themselves to have normal eyesight, but the driving experience is both satisfying and silent, in a slightly techy way."

It makes me nuts when journalists make judgement calls on car design. They are usually dead wrong. Also, why do they claim the residuals are so lousy?
Old 12-08-10, 07:31 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

They always dislike Lexus cars, no surprise. If BMW pooped, it would be brilliant to them!
Old 12-08-10, 07:37 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I love top gear but could care less about what they say about the lexus GS, they made fun of the LFA on the show saying it's basically a overpriced Toyota! HMMM I beg to differ.
Old 12-08-10, 07:46 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Yeah, and Jaguar can do no wrong, naturally. They don't even talk about the styling of the VERY similar (and I admit even better looking than the GS) Jag XF
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jaguar/xf/verdict

Compare the two side profiles, they are very similar.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jaguar/xf/...geNo=3#tab-box
http://www.topgear.com/uk/lexus/gs-3...geNo=2#tab-box

I guess I feel as the 3GS winds down it's production run I'm sad that it never got the credibility that it deserved. Dissed at ever turn by the enthusiast press from the point of performance, and especially styling. Maybe most of them were purchased by the wrong kind of people.

And if I read about them creaming their journalistic jeans over the profoundly ugly 5-series one more time.. grrrr
Old 12-08-10, 08:07 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I love top gear but could care less about what they say about the lexus GS, they made fun of the LFA on the show saying it's basically a overpriced Toyota! HMMM I beg to differ.
you dont think the LFA is way over priced?
Old 12-08-10, 08:11 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
It is overpriced, but in no way is it a Toyota.

I am also sick of people calling Every Lexus "An overpriced Toyota". It is flat out not true, unless you're talking about the ES. (although the case can be made that all the SUV/Crossovers are really Toyotas in drag, given that the RX is just a tall ES)

Anyway, when doubters call my GS "a very nice Avalon I point out the Avalon is front wheel drive, the GS is RWD/AWD. They don't know anything about cars, so it is lost on them. Whatever. There is NO Toyota platform analog to the GS. It is a bespoke Lexus platform.

Last edited by gsexy300; 12-08-10 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-08-10, 08:17 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe you just take things way too seriously. imo Lexus pretty much is an over priced toyota. The build quality of the GS sucks, we all know that when it comes to fit and finish. Overall i love the GS though it is a great car but dont make it out to be something its not.
Old 12-08-10, 08:43 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

no way is it a toyota? you do know all their engineers are from................TOYOTA.

As for build and quality i think the GS is amazing (this has a LOT to do with the lexus being the first luxury car i've owned). I only have cars like Evos and Sti's to compare to and the GS is far superior in build and quality (and looks).

I prefer lexus over BMW but i must admit the BMW interiors do feel alot more rock solid (with no rattles).
Old 12-08-10, 09:18 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
No i do think it's way overpriced I just don't think its a toyota its a defintely Lexus branded and they earned it since they worked hard for it. but yeah $375,000 is way to rich for my blood as I could get a ferrari or Lambo at a cheaper price.
Old 12-08-10, 09:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It's Lexus branded, but it's still a product by Toyota. Nothing to be ashamed of by owning a Toyota product, and the LFA is certainly not overpriced when you consider its merit.
Old 12-08-10, 11:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol if you care that much about other people's comment, you have a lot to worry about

to me, 3gs is not the prettiest thing out there, but it looks decent and it gets the job done
Old 12-08-10, 11:41 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My GS is exactly what I want... they hate the quiet, I like the quiet. If I want the noise I'll open the window, it is an option and I like it that way.

"The GS is a car that seems to try very hard at feeling well put together, and then fails slightly for us Europeans by tripping over small cultural differences." WTF....review the car for the car.

"larger people can get a bit claustrophobic thanks to that rotund rump." I'm not over weight so it's good for me.

I think they accidentally mix a Smart car for a GS.
Old 12-08-10, 11:57 AM
LexFather

Funny since the 3GS won a Euro award for design when it debuted.

Originally Posted by gsexy300
Yeah, and Jaguar can do no wrong, naturally. They don't even talk about the styling of the VERY similar (and I admit even better looking than the GS) Jag XF
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jaguar/xf/verdict

Compare the two side profiles, they are very similar.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jaguar/xf/...geNo=3#tab-box
http://www.topgear.com/uk/lexus/gs-3...geNo=2#tab-box

I guess I feel as the 3GS winds down it's production run I'm sad that it never got the credibility that it deserved. Dissed at ever turn by the enthusiast press from the point of performance, and especially styling. Maybe most of them were purchased by the wrong kind of people.

And if I read about them creaming their journalistic jeans over the profoundly ugly 5-series one more time.. grrrr
Well Top Gear MAGAZINE noticed it and no joke, with their long term test XF, they brought along a friends GS 450h one month to compare the looks side by side where they concluded the XF looks like a GS.

Also in EVO/CAR they have written how the XF takes the basic shape of the GS.

So its good to see honesty written.
Old 12-08-10, 12:36 PM
nobrien1
Driver School Candidate

I like Top Gear, but who cares what they think. What matters is that you like the car.

I drive a Lexus for a combination of reliability and comfort.

Sure, I would agree that my previous BMW was better looking. However, the Lexus also starts every time I want to go somewhere and has never given me a problem.
Old 12-08-10, 02:21 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

When I want a fantastic "commuter" car to use in Houston traffic for the day-to-day, I love my GS.

When I want to go out and rock and roll, I take my Corvette Z06 out.

The press rags on both cars, but let's see if they can catch me in my Z06

I could car less about what they say. I've owned 57 cars over the past 38 years, and I know a hell of a lot about cars. What's important to me is just that - important to me.

Quick Reply: Top Gear on BBC rates our 3rd gen GS as ugly