GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Top Gear on BBC rates our 3rd gen GS as ugly

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 08:48 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree, stock is pretty bad.....I guess when I think of a GS I think of it modded....ha
Old 12-11-10, 01:25 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsexy300
It is overpriced, but in no way is it a Toyota.

I am also sick of people calling Every Lexus "An overpriced Toyota". It is flat out not true, unless you're talking about the ES. (although the case can be made that all the SUV/Crossovers are really Toyotas in drag, given that the RX is just a tall ES)

Anyway, when doubters call my GS "a very nice Avalon I point out the Avalon is front wheel drive, the GS is RWD/AWD. They don't know anything about cars, so it is lost on them. Whatever. There is NO Toyota platform analog to the GS. It is a bespoke Lexus platform.
I used to think a Lexus was a dressed up Toyota, until I actually sat in one. Then I drove it and my mind was made up: Lexus is in a different league than Toyota.

I have owned 2 Toyota Avalon's in my life and the GS450h I currently own is far more vehicle than any Toyota available for sale currently.....faster, more luxury features, more attention to detail......an all around nicer car.

Anyone that would argue this point would have to be crazy.
Old 12-11-10, 01:37 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chancellor
I have to agree, stock is pretty bad.....I guess when I think of a GS I think of it modded....ha

Bottom line:

The Lexus 3GS is certainly not an ugly car. There are too many ugly cars out there to consider the Lexus 3GS as "ugly". For example, the Acura TL, the Toyota Venza, the Accord Crosstour, Subaru Impreza(non STI version),
Ford Focus, Toyota Prius, Jeep Compass. I mean really guys, there aer so many ugly vehicles in the world and you'd really have to work hard at defending why you think a 3GS would deserve to be grouped in with any of the aforementioned models.

In my personal opinion, it doesn't get much better than a 3GS with a tasteful drop sitting on a nice set of 20's. Regardless of what anyone thinks or says, that's my opinion.
Old 12-14-10, 02:30 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsexy300
I guess I want to drive a car so unbelievably gorgeous that absolutely NO ONE could have a negative opinion of it. I want to just win the styling argument, 100% of the time, point blank hands down. I hate ambiguity.

Are there any cars that fall into that category, new or used that cost less than $100,000?
Yes. Series 1 Jaguar E-Type Coupe or Roadster (The 2+2 is ungainly).
Old 12-14-10, 02:43 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

I think that the review of the car is actually pretty reasonable. For what my car is and for what I use it for, it's fantastic. I put, in the past month, over 5k miles on the car on road trips (NJ-KY-GA-AL-MO-KY-NJ and then NJ-KY-NJ) and the car did beautifully. It's also interesting that so many people bring up the XF, I have driven the XF and it's nothing like the GS. I also own an '06 XJ8 and the differences between them is night and day.

But as far as the car drives, they're pretty much right on the money, compared to an XF, 5 series or an A6 the handling is just fair to OK, ditto the steering. It's got a softer ride and I like the seats better than those cars which is why I bought it.

Reliability? HA! The car's had 9 warranty claims in the past 15k miles and I don't use the sunroof because I hate rattles. I suppose overall... Jag wins on looks, gas mileage, reliability, interior, handling and steering. Lexus wins on comfort, stereo, nav, AWD traction, equipment, usable trunk space and since it's steel I can use my CB radio in it (Magnet antenna) and dodge radar traps on long trips

I think the GS is handsome, but the rear is kind of bloated looking to me. I personally bought an 07 because I don't like the chrome trim on the 08+s, but again, this is all subjective; I once met someone who bought an Aztek for its' looks. Overall I like the looks of the car but don't love it.
Old 12-14-10, 03:59 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Obviously everyone has the right to have an opinion. Top Gear has never liked Lexus, maybe with a exception the LFA.

Anyway, in its first year of its production the 3GS was voted by the readers of a German automobile magazine as the best looking new import sedan of the year .............!

Last edited by Lexzam; 12-14-10 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 11:25 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Late to the party here, but if it helps anybody, they think the Jensen Interceptor is Jesus Christ on wheels.... Looks like a stretched out Gremlin, but with British build "quality." And they also said the Jaguar X-Type is a great car..... SERIOUSLY?! Back when I worked for Jag, they saw the inside of the dealer's shop more than their own garages, plus they were always cold and clammy feeling on the interiors, with a cheap, hollow sound whenever you'd close the doors. By far the worst car I've been in overall. But, that's just my opinion

Last edited by TRD_Power; 07-18-14 at 12:32 PM.