GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Top Gear on BBC rates our 3rd gen GS as ugly

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 03:22 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i like riding ugly *****es!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-10, 03:41 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top Gear is a great show, and unless they are doing something really silly (which they occaisionally do) it is a great to watch. But... they are very opinionated and biased. I guess that is what people watch the show for, but there are some cars they drool over that I think are ugly, and also some good looking cars that they bash on that I like. For example, they recently did a review of the Panamera, the QuattroPorte, and the Rapide. In that review they basically acted like little kids avoiding the Panamera because it was "so ugly". I mean they unanimously and categorically deemed the Panamera as the ugliest thing ever made, over and over again througought the entire show. They hated it so much they made jokes about how they were embarassed to be driving it. I happen to love the Panamera and would take it over either of those cars in a heartbeat.

So while I like the show, I don't really agree with their assessments all the time. Some of their complaints are just ridiculous sometimes.
Old 12-08-10, 06:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the top gear guys clearly prefer their own British bug eyed XF, which is derived from the 3GS.

but do you really care what 3 guys have to say?

They're all ugly in their own ways. ( I mean the cars. but i guess you can say that about the Top Gear hosts too.)

I think the GS is pretty ugly unmodified..... with 17" wheels and no spoiler.

Last edited by dunnojack; 12-08-10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 08:25 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
lol if you care that much about other people's comment, you have a lot to worry about

to me, 3gs is not the prettiest thing out there, but it looks decent and it gets the job done
Agreed.

Plus on Top Gear, it seems that British > European > Japanese > American.

Not a lot of people want to hear about facts. People want opinions.
Old 12-08-10, 08:39 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It's a TV show... a Pommy TV show at that. I don't know the perception the Americans have about Poms but here in Australia they're mostly known to whinge. That's why Top Gear is a great show, dry humor at it's finest.
Old 12-09-10, 08:03 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
When I want a fantastic "commuter" car to use in Houston traffic for the day-to-day, I love my GS.

When I want to go out and rock and roll, I take my Corvette Z06 out.

The press rags on both cars, but let's see if they can catch me in my Z06

I could car less about what they say. I've owned 57 cars over the past 38 years, and I know a hell of a lot about cars. What's important to me is just that - important to me.
The press ragged on the Z06? I thought it got decent reviews.
Old 12-09-10, 08:06 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny since the 3GS won a Euro award for design when it debuted.

Well Top Gear MAGAZINE noticed it and no joke, with their long term test XF, they brought along a friends GS 450h one month to compare the looks side by side where they concluded the XF looks like a GS.

Also in EVO/CAR they have written how the XF takes the basic shape of the GS.

So its good to see honesty written.
Huh, I didn't even know there was a Top Gear magazine. So one has to wonder what the hell is wrong with the TV guys. How can they possibly poop all over the 3GS styling when their own beloved native XF is so very similar looking.

Please post links to these reviews, if you have them handy thanks.
Old 12-09-10, 08:08 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gsexy300
Huh, I didn't even know there was a Top Gear magazine. So one has to wonder what the hell is wrong with the TV guys. How can they possibly poop all over the 3GS styling when their own beloved native XF is so very similar looking.

its called an opinion. not everyone likes the same things. who cares what 3 brits have to say about the 3GS. you are the one driving it and paying for it. if you like it, thats all that matters.
Old 12-09-10, 08:10 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jre002
Top Gear is a great show, and unless they are doing something really silly (which they occaisionally do) it is a great to watch. But... they are very opinionated and biased. I guess that is what people watch the show for, but there are some cars they drool over that I think are ugly, and also some good looking cars that they bash on that I like. For example, they recently did a review of the Panamera, the QuattroPorte, and the Rapide. In that review they basically acted like little kids avoiding the Panamera because it was "so ugly". I mean they unanimously and categorically deemed the Panamera as the ugliest thing ever made, over and over again througought the entire show. They hated it so much they made jokes about how they were embarassed to be driving it. I happen to love the Panamera and would take it over either of those cars in a heartbeat.

So while I like the show, I don't really agree with their assessments all the time. Some of their complaints are just ridiculous sometimes.
Interesting, because they do usually fawn over Porsches, as does most of the British automotive press. And while the Panamera is not the most gorgeous car ever it certainly is not ugly or ungainly like the Cayenne. Note that it's competing with an Aston, and once again they like to wave the Union Jack in another fit of blind nationalism. Oh well, I suppose if American auto journalists had been kinder to GM/Ford/Chrysler perhaps they wouldn't have gone bankrupt.
Old 12-09-10, 08:14 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
its called an opinion. not everyone likes the same things. who cares what 3 brits have to say about the 3GS. you are the one driving it and paying for it. if you like it, thats all that matters.
I guess I want to drive a car so unbelievably gorgeous that absolutely NO ONE could have a negative opinion of it. I want to just win the styling argument, 100% of the time, point blank hands down. I hate ambiguity.

Are there any cars that fall into that category, new or used that cost less than $100,000?
Old 12-09-10, 08:29 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

I guess I want to drive a car so unbelievably gorgeous that absolutely NO ONE could have a negative opinion of it. I want to just win the styling argument, 100% of the time, point blank hands down. I hate ambiguity.

Are there any cars that fall into that category, new or used that cost less than $100,000?
stop pleasing others and worry about yourself. sorry to sound blunt about it but your never going to win. no matter what you get, someone will not like it. just buy what makes you happy.
Old 12-09-10, 09:25 AM
LexFather

No link to it online

Go to your local bookstore if possible, Top Gear mag is about $10 U.S and its pretty good. Its not just May, Hammond, Clarkson though (they have their editorials and reviews) there are a lot of other reviweres as well.

For example another guy in the mag reviewed the C63, IS F, M3, RS4 and said he would "take home the IS F" and declared it a tie.

The Stig chose the LFA as his fav car in a huge mega test against the 458, SLS etc

The LS 600h L won "executive of teh year" before

The chief engineer of the LFA won a Top Gear award too.

That said they do hate the SC 430 and are no big fans of the GS outside of its interior, quality and service.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-13-10 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-09-10, 09:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

im sure im gonna get bashed for this and i hate to break it to you guys but the 3rd gen gs IS ugly....specially compared to (and i know im biased) the beautiful lines of the 2nd gen. yes,yes i know im biased but i have NEVER liked the looks of the 3rd gen gs....

the headlights/tails look funky along with the gigantic whale like grill

bash away if you will, this is just IMHO
Old 12-09-10, 09:43 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
im sure im gonna get bashed for this and i hate to break it to you guys but the 3rd gen gs IS ugly....specially compared to (and i know im biased) the beautiful lines of the 2nd gen. yes,yes i know im biased but i have NEVER liked the looks of the 3rd gen gs....

I won't bash, but I will say I personally would NEVER have purchased the 2GS, due to it's styling. Really awkward, I can't imagine anyone thinking that's a better looking design.
When i wash my 3GS I get unsolicited 'nice looking car!' kudos from total strangers.
Old 12-09-10, 09:46 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj

i can agree with the headlights. they are the most appealing especially with that chrome trim but i prefer the 3rd gen tail lights over the 2nd gen.

Quick Reply: Top Gear on BBC rates our 3rd gen GS as ugly