GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

gs350 valve spring recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 07:28 AM
BenzTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Let me know how the V8 goes.

I'm glad you can do it comfortably in the allowed time. The post by Tyler disturbed me - I can imagine less conscientious techs doing rushed work if they don't get paid for the time it takes.
I will, word is I'll be doing my 1st LS460 this week.

As far as the time to do the ALE safety recall any tech with 10 or more years
of experiance should be able to meet the 7.0 hr time.

I can see how a "newer" tech could have a problem with it though.

On that note it's more important to do the job correctly regardless of how long it take you.

As a side note normal warr time just to r&r the cams is 14.5 hrs.
Old 10-03-10, 08:48 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenzTech
I will, word is I'll be doing my 1st LS460 this week.

As far as the time to do the ALE safety recall any tech with 10 or more years
of experiance should be able to meet the 7.0 hr time.

I can see how a "newer" tech could have a problem with it though.

On that note it's more important to do the job correctly regardless of how long it take you.

As a side note normal warr time just to r&r the cams is 14.5 hrs.
BenzTech - I would be keen to hear your perspectives on the difference between working in a Lexus vs a Benz service department? Also which dealership are you with. Maybe I will bring my GS460 to you!
Old 10-05-10, 10:30 AM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just brought my GS450h in for the job. Lexus of Rockville has 60 bays, but only master techs work on it, I think, and they told me the backlog might be three full days before I get my car back. I did get an H-series hybrid as a loaner, so that's fun. I saw one engine taken apart in the service bay -- wow, this is truly major work. And I saw the new vs. old springs -- to the naked eye they don't look all that different. I can only imagine how much this is costing Lexus/Toyota.
Old 10-05-10, 12:08 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marylander
Just brought my GS450h in for the job. Lexus of Rockville has 60 bays, but only master techs work on it, I think, and they told me the backlog might be three full days before I get my car back. I did get an H-series hybrid as a loaner, so that's fun. I saw one engine taken apart in the service bay -- wow, this is truly major work. And I saw the new vs. old springs -- to the naked eye they don't look all that different. I can only imagine how much this is costing Lexus/Toyota.
I got an H series loaner once. I hated it.
Old 10-05-10, 12:29 PM
jmoc1
Driver School Candidate

LoL, They gave me a rx450H for a loaner... Also they replace my brake caliper because it was making a noise
Old 10-05-10, 01:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

thanks for the heads up on the labor and the work. I feel better now dropping my car off in a couple of weeks. They tried at the last 2 visits for me to get the recall work done and both times I said no , and that I wanted to wait.

Now if they can only get my interior to stop making all of this noise. I have a dash rattle, sunroof rattle, and my console creaks all of the time. Lexus has gone down hill over the past few years. To bad I had to jump in on the way down. Between the dash issues and 2 internal engine part recalls in less than 1 year ( grinding on start up and now this BS) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I love my car and I really enjoy driving it but I am still wondering about Lexus as a whole
Old 10-05-10, 04:42 PM
kenv
Rookie

Valve spring Recall completed; 08 GS 350. Performance appears better, but most likely I am just missing my GS after 5 days (weekend). Master tech completed work in approx. 8 hours per service advisor. Car was returned with gas filled. I was give a GS450h which was fine, but not the GS. I actually missed my Mark Levinson more than I could have thought. I can not believe Lexus is considering elimination of the Mark Levinson...BIG Mistake.
Old 10-05-10, 05:18 PM
avinnc
Driver School Candidate

I took my 2008 GS450H in on Monday and am expecting to get it back tomorrow... I also asked them to replace the brake pads with the low dust ones while they have it. They told me that it would be pro-rated!!! As I understand the TSIB, they are replaced gratis while under warranty. I hope I don't have to call corporate tomorrow.

BTW... I'm having it serviced @ Johnson Lexus in Raleigh, NC.
Old 05-25-11, 10:36 AM
rphill
Driver School Candidate

Any chance that when performing the ALE Valve job, that the alignment could get thrown off? I don't know where the ALE valves are located. My dealership performed the job and indicated that I declined the complimentary inspection (they didn't even ask me, why would I delcine a complimentary inspection???. Then when I brought my car in for an early 30K service, they say that my two front tires were worn down to 0/32 on the inner side. Thought it was weird because my last oil change and tire rotation at the end of November shows my tires were at 6/32 on all 4 tires.

Originally Posted by Tmoriarty
so i work for lexus as a tech and have done multiple IS350 and GS350 spring recalls. i dont own one but from doing multiple recalls and hundreds more to come i would gladly hand my keys to the dealership as ive noticed lots of negative talk about it. it is a big job, we replace the springs with heavy duty springs, replace the hydraulic lifters with new ones and all the gaskets and seals. the valve spring kit alone costs 1500$ every one that i have done has had noticably better acceleration, increased throttle response and all around more power. besides the fact that as techs we get screwed by only getting paid 7 hrs for the whole job that takes 11-14 depending on the tech i think as a customer you should be thrilled. as long as the tech doesnt make a mistake and damage something, which even if that did happen lexus or the dealership would have to cover the mistake. the worst part of the recall is trying to set up the cam chains. the timing is very tricky. swaping the springs with the special tools is a breeze
Old 05-25-11, 02:33 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The valves are in the engine block, and in no way could this service possibly impact your treadwear.
Originally Posted by rphill
Any chance that when performing the ALE Valve job, that the alignment could get thrown off? I don't know where the ALE valves are located. My dealership performed the job and indicated that I declined the complimentary inspection (they didn't even ask me, why would I delcine a complimentary inspection???. Then when I brought my car in for an early 30K service, they say that my two front tires were worn down to 0/32 on the inner side. Thought it was weird because my last oil change and tire rotation at the end of November shows my tires were at 6/32 on all 4 tires.
Old 02-20-12, 11:22 PM
Itchimatsu
Driver School Candidate

I hate to bump an old thread, but I found this thread incredibly helpful in enlightening me on the exact same issues I've been having on my 08 GS350 (roughly 61k miles). I took my car in today and told them about the issues with the start up, even presented them a recording of the engine knock @ cold start. After review my VIN numbers, the rep noticed I was due for the valve spring recall, said that it would "eliminate" the start up engine knock, so many of those on this thread are affected with. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar work done on their cars and did it help/hurt the noise problem or if I should call them up and have additional work done. Any help or education on the matter is greatly appreciated and I look forward to being a member here on Club Lexus.
Old 02-21-12, 01:19 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The loud noise you hear upon start up has nothing to do with valve springs, its a different issue that I have had done to my lexus. Refer to the PDF i attached you can even print and take it to the dealeship
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Brief Engine Knock.pdf (1.05 MB, 736 views)
Old 02-21-12, 10:02 AM
Itchimatsu
Driver School Candidate

Ohhhh, That is above and beyond what I was looking for. With that pdf its going to be hard to deny it now. But on the pdf it says affected models are 07, would my car being an 08 make a difference? or would the same repairs apply?
Old 02-26-12, 06:37 PM
bklynchris
Rookie

I haven't heard of this recall. I have an '09 GS350 AWD with 76k miles. Do I qualify for this service?
Old 02-26-12, 08:13 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I haven't heard of this recall. I have an '09 GS350 AWD with 76k miles. Do I qualify for this service?
pretty sure valve spring recall doesnt apply to 09s and up

Quick Reply: gs350 valve spring recall