GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 03:28 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.

Both of my Lexuses have factory HID lights on low beams and halogen on highs. For a while, I've been trying to improve the performance of the high beam. I started with installing Nokya 100W light 9005 bulbs. The light output seemed to be better when the car was parked against the garage door with high beam on, but on the road it did not make any difference. In addition, I did not want to take any chances of melting the plastic light housing, so I went on to another option.....

..... which was purchasing and installing Xentec HID conversion kit. It was easy plug-and play job, and the kit was fairly inexpencive, around $50. The bulbs I picked originally, were 6000k. They looked great, but in terms of visibility, because of the blueish color, they were worse then the OEM halogen. So, I replaced the bulbs with 4300k. These bulbs were really good, excellent light output, color matched Lexus HID low beams. However, they would take about 10 seconds to "warm up" after you switch the highs on. In other words, they were not practicable for the high beams, so I started researching.....

....the LED bulbs. Nowdays you can find 9005 120-LED bulbs on e-bay. I talked a guy from Toyotanation that had those on his Camry. He told me that they looked cool, were coming on full-blast instantly, but the real-life performance just wasn't there. They simply did not light the road far enough. I decided to save $30 and not to even try them. Then I learned aboout......

..... Toshiba/Phillips HIR bulbs. People at BMW forum spoke very highly of them. I decided to give it a shot and ordered a pair of Phillips HIR bulbs from Max of http://www.finemotoring.com/ Since he is only about 250 miles away, I got the bulbs on the third day after placing my order. Naturally, I plugged them in, parked the car against my garave door and turned them on. At first I was dissappointed, because I expected my high beam light to set my garage door on fire, and it did not happen. As the matter of fact, I could barely tell the difference from OEM. So, I e-mailed Max, the guy who I bought the bulbs from, and he sent me a set of Toshiba HIR bulbs to experiment with. Again, I got them in 3 days.

However, by now I had an opportunity to drive on dark rural roads and that's where the HIR lights literally shine. First I drive my GS with stock lights, then with Phillips, then with Toshibas. I tried taking pictures, but it was pointless, the camera could not capture the "depth" of the beam of light.

In my opinion, the HIR bulbs, both Phillips and Toshiba, are clearly brighter and produce wider and "richer" light beam then the OEM. I personally like Toshiba better then Phillips for the following reasons:

1. Toshiba is a little whiter in color, closer to factory HID lights.
2. Toshiba's light is wider, and it seems to penetrate darkness deeper and farther then Phillips.

When I installed Phillips after the OEMs, no light level adjustment was necessary, but when Toshibas were installed, they were aimed a little higher and I had to re-aim them lower. I assume, it was because of the different shape of the bulb.

By the way, according to my friends from Russian Lexus forum, the HIR light bulbs are standard on high beams of RX and GS sold in Europe.

THE BOTTOM LINE: If you are after "the look" and want to have blueish-colored high beam with great light penetration, and don't mind waiting about 10 seconds the the light to show up, go for the HID kit.

If you don't care much about the color of your high beams, and want to have light intensity similar to HID, but instantly on demand, give the HIR bulbs serious consideration. I love my Toshibas, it's almost like having your personal Sun shining for you.

Again, I highly recomend Max, here is his website: http://www.finemotoring.com/

The top picture has Phillips HIR1 9011 bulb, and the bottom is Toshiba HIR1 9011 bulb.
Attached Thumbnails Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.-phillips-hir1.jpg   Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.-toshiba-hir.jpg  

Last edited by arnieosp; 02-08-11 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 04:02 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds awesome. I'm getting some. I was running the Phillips Ultravision halogen bulbs, but they aren't bright enough and the blue tint on the high beam glass distorts the color of the parking light LEDs in the reflector.
Old 02-08-11, 07:03 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally installed mine a couple of weeks ago and had some night driving over the last couple of days. Fantastic light output; true long range visibility. Worth the money IMO.
Old 02-08-11, 07:09 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twylie
Finally installed mine a couple of weeks ago and had some night driving over the last couple of days. Fantastic light output; true long range visibility. Worth the money IMO.
How did you install it? Was it necessary to remove the airbox?

I just ordered mine from Max.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-08-11 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 07:25 PM
twylie
Advanced

Originally Posted by *Batman*
How did you install it? Was it necessary to remove the airbox?

I just ordered mine from Max.
didn't need to remove the airbox on my 430. 10 min including removing the front cover. I bought the Toshiba bulbs and agree w/ arnieosp that they need to be adjusted downward a couple of degrees over stock design bulbs. Puns aside, it's night and day difference on a back road.

My Jeep has E code housings w/ IPF bulbs and these are there equal in terms of throw and illumination spread. The HIR bulbs seem to have a better light output.
Old 02-08-11, 07:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

didn't need to remove the airbox on my 430. 10 min including removing the front cover. I bought the Toshiba bulbs and agree w/ arnieosp that they need to be adjusted downward a couple of degrees over stock design bulbs. Puns aside, it's night and day difference on a back road.

My Jeep has E code housings w/ IPF bulbs and these are there equal in terms of throw and illumination spread. The HIR bulbs seem to have a better light output.
How do they look in DRL mode?
Old 02-08-11, 08:07 PM
twylie
Advanced

pretty much the same as the Silverstar Ultra's I removed. While getting a matching (to factory HID), less yellow or cleaner light would be nice, it's a secondary consideration for me behind functional high beams. Anyone going for a "look" shouldn't bother with the HIR; aesthetically, there are better alternatives if you're willing to sacrifice high beam function or long range visibility. True HID (with proper lens/housing) would likely best the HIR, but I'm completely satisfied for a plug and play solution.

Be sure to get on dark roads when testing them. Improved light output is noticeable even in a residential setting, but much more dramatic on a long dark stretch.
Old 02-08-11, 09:06 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

pretty much the same as the Silverstar Ultra's I removed. While getting a matching (to factory HID), less yellow or cleaner light would be nice, it's a secondary consideration for me behind functional high beams. Anyone going for a "look" shouldn't bother with the HIR; aesthetically, there are better alternatives if you're willing to sacrifice high beam function or long range visibility. True HID (with proper lens/housing) would likely best the HIR, but I'm completely satisfied for a plug and play solution.

Be sure to get on dark roads when testing them. Improved light output is noticeable even in a residential setting, but much more dramatic on a long dark stretch.
Completely agree. Main goal is better high beams.
Old 02-09-11, 10:18 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an aside and completely off topic, is there a particular reason why Lexus vehicles don't have bi-xenon headlights? I think BMW uses the same light/projector for low-beam and high-beam and use a reflector/shield to shine the light at a higher angle. I guess theoretically low-beam HID with high-beam halogen would result in higher light output than just one HID light angled higher than low-beam?

Either way, these HIR bulbs seem quite interesting.
Old 03-04-11, 10:56 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
As an aside and completely off topic, is there a particular reason why Lexus vehicles don't have bi-xenon headlights? I think BMW uses the same light/projector for low-beam and high-beam and use a reflector/shield to shine the light at a higher angle. I guess theoretically low-beam HID with high-beam halogen would result in higher light output than just one HID light angled higher than low-beam?

Either way, these HIR bulbs seem quite interesting.
To answer your question- "Bi-Xenon" setups are typically FAR superior to Halogen low-beam/HID high-beam... even comparing to the TWO light sources... b/c HID's have incredible DEPTH and BRIGHTNESS.
I thought the '06+ GS used a Bi-Xenon set-up... I guess not (since they DO still have the QUAD lights up front) Hmm...

Anyway- thanks for the great info Arnieosp! That is really interesting. I think I'm going to order a pair of them for my (2nd-gen) GS. : )

So, you tried these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/White...Q5fAccessories

And they're just not that bright? What about the DRL's? Do they work properly, at the decreased wattage, with the SMD led 9005 bulbs ?

Thanks !
Old 03-04-11, 01:21 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

No, I have not tried the LED bulbs.

As far as the HIR performance as DRLs, I don't know because I have my DRLs turned off. I can't think of any reason why the HIR bulbs wouldn't work as DRLs, but I would ask Max, the seller of the HIR bulbs about it. He is great at communications.
Old 03-06-11, 01:11 PM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can find a great info about HIR on Ebay
These Toshiba bulbs are a unique product, the only bulbs available known to use the research technology that General Electric patented in 2000 (patent number 6,087,775). It was GE's goal to create a bulb that produced 75% of the light output of HID headlights at 25% of the cost. GE sells HIR bulbs for commercial lighting and specialized applications, but decided to stay out of the automotive market and licensed this technology to a division of Toshiba. These are Toshiba HIR1 bulbs, brand new, never used, factory direct. In fact, Toshiba and GE are among the few companies in the world with the expertise to engineer and build this amazing product. These bulbs attain light levels 75% to 110% brighter than stock bulbs as a result of an engineering process that deposits multiple, yet almost invisible, layers of semi-reflective coating on the surface of a specially shaped and focused quartz bulb. This coating (a titania/silica, zinc oxide/silica, zirconia/silica, silicon nitride/silica, and titania/magnesium fluoride tantalam/silica multi-layer dielectric, according to the patent) reflects a portion of the infrared energy emitted by the filament back onto the filament, causing it to glow brighter and emit more light from the uncoated forward portion of the bulb. Although the filament gets hotter, the glass does not.

IT GENERATES NO MORE HEAT THAN A REGULAR HALOGEN BULB, AND IT DRAWS THE SAME WATTAGE AND AMPERAGE AS THE STOCK 9005/ HB3 BULB IT CAN REPLACE.

E-BAY

We Europeans have HIR bulbs in stock. I heard that GSs from America have simple HB3 halogen bulbs in stock.
Old 03-06-11, 08:51 PM
ashley1977
Driver

This is how it looks in DRL mode, now I change to V-LED DRL kit......., the one on my car was Toshiba.
PS: They are standard Hign Beam bulbs for Toyota Avalon
Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.-dsc03004.jpg
As DRL mode
Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.-dsc03090.jpg

Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.-dsc03092.jpg

Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.-dsc03095.jpg
HIR bulb VS V-LED bulb
Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.-dsc03102.jpg
V-LED (Left) HIR (Right)
Old 03-13-11, 05:40 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Compare light with photos is not right (imho)
Cuz the photos depends on setting in your photocamera.

In our road conditions (mud, snow..) subtitute high beams with DRLs is not good decision. Maybe in US less mud and more light on the roads, so I can't judge this subtitution.

Why do you make DRLs ? To make your car visible in day time ?
Or just for more beautiful extrerior look ?
Old 03-15-11, 12:26 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ashley1977
This is how it looks in DRL mode, now I change to V-LED DRL kit......., the one on my car was Toshiba.
PS: They are standard Hign Beam bulbs for Toyota Avalon

Attachment 201965
V-LED (Left) HIR (Right)
First of all...that is REALLY cool. I seriously love Toyota/Lexus more and more everyday. The Toyota Avalon actually has those HIGH-END Toshiba H1R1 for the high beam bulbs ? That's sweet.

But, unless you're OPPOSED to installing the "WHITEST" and "BRIGHTEST" 9005 bulbs in your '98+ GS for the DRL's and High Beams... I have to say, that I'm def a fan of the LED's vs. the Toshiba's....in terms of COLOR and OUTPUT, at least. Not sure how V-Led's bulbs will hold-up over time, vs. the (OEM, on Toyota Avalon! ha) Toshiba's....

I like the look of the pic above though.. that pass-side inner light is BRIGHT.
Wow!

Quick Reply: Toshiba/Phillips HIR1 light bulbs.