GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pissed off with my GS350 (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Angry Pissed off with my GS350 (rant)

Our relative came visit. 2 of them, 2 suitcases, 2 backpacks. My wife and I discussed if we were going to drive the GS350 or the M3. We looked at the trunk of the M3 and tried to picture how to fit the two suitcases (hard shell, standard sizes) and decided it might not be enough. The GS350 trunk looks to be a bit bigger so we decided to drive the GS350.

Went to airport, picked them up curb side, opened trunk, put in the first suitcase. Already had a bad feeling, didn't seem like it has enough space!!! Tried put in 2nd one, *(&^(*$&^ didn't fit no matter what! Fine, took it back out, re-org the first one, 2nd one still didn't fit!!!!

The trunk is not high enough to stack two. The trunk is not deep enough to fit two. The trunk is not wide enough to put two. And impossible to angle 2nd one in any way. WTF!!!!!!!! Seriously, this is a completely retarded design. And the whole time with about a trillion people around looking at us. Brilliant.

Ended up we had to put one of the suitcase in the rear middle seat, and then the head room was so bad, the suitcase wheels rubbed on the roof lining. ARGH, more clean up!!!!!

Came home and I looked at the two cars again. Yeah, the GS350 looks to have a bigger trunk, but talk about usability? My M3 convertible pretty much has the same size!!!!!! This is really stupid

This is such a shame and I am really pissed. A car in this segment and I can't even fit 2 suitcases. With the 5 and E it would have been very simple with the much bigger and wider and deeper trunk. My previous GS400, believe it or not, I was able to fit THREE (!!!) hard shell suitcases and still with space to spare!!!! Even the new C class has a more usable trunk.

This is really unacceptable. Well, my wife is even more pissed than me after seeing how useless the trunk is...

SIGH....
Old 09-24-10, 09:06 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Our relative came visit. 2 of them, 2 suitcases, 2 backpacks. My wife and I discussed if we were going to drive the GS350 or the M3. We looked at the trunk of the M3 and tried to picture how to fit the two suitcases (hard shell, standard sizes) and decided it might not be enough. The GS350 trunk looks to be a bit bigger so we decided to drive the GS350.

Went to airport, picked them up curb side, opened trunk, put in the first suitcase. Already had a bad feeling, didn't seem like it has enough space!!! Tried put in 2nd one, *(&^(*$&^ didn't fit no matter what! Fine, took it back out, re-org the first one, 2nd one still didn't fit!!!!

The trunk is not high enough to stack two. The trunk is not deep enough to fit two. The trunk is not wide enough to put two. And impossible to angle 2nd one in any way. WTF!!!!!!!! Seriously, this is a completely retarded design. And the whole time with about a trillion people around looking at us. Brilliant.

Ended up we had to put one of the suitcase in the rear middle seat, and then the head room was so bad, the suitcase wheels rubbed on the roof lining. ARGH, more clean up!!!!!

Came home and I looked at the two cars again. Yeah, the GS350 looks to have a bigger trunk, but talk about usability? My M3 convertible pretty much has the same size!!!!!! This is really stupid

This is such a shame and I am really pissed. A car in this segment and I can't even fit 2 suitcases. With the 5 and E it would have been very simple with the much bigger and wider and deeper trunk. My previous GS400, believe it or not, I was able to fit THREE (!!!) hard shell suitcases and still with space to spare!!!! Even the new C class has a more usable trunk.

This is really unacceptable. Well, my wife is even more pissed than me after seeing how useless the trunk is...

SIGH....
Unbelievable. BMW design is much more practical. But on the bright side, at least you don't have a GS450H trunk!
Old 09-24-10, 09:11 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be so frustrating! As a 450h owner, I personally have never run into this problem because I have it pretty embedded in my brain that nothing fits in the trunk so I always take one of the SUVs if i'm picking something up. I've been surprised by the amount of shopping/soft sided bags I can fit though. Plus nothing rolls around!

I think it's about time you got your M5...Babies like vibrations and acceleration don't they?!?
Old 09-24-10, 09:13 AM
Evoked
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to completely agree with you on that. Our trunks are useless to carry anything but maybe some car cleaning supplies, which is what I use it for.

I drove more than 1hr to Ikea to pick up my chair with my gf and parents, and what do you know it doesnt fit. I was pissed as hell. In the end I drove back with my 98 accord and the box fit no problem in the trunk. Wasted 4hrs of my life
Old 09-24-10, 09:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't even know why Lexus calls it a trunk. It's an insult.

A glovebox might be more appropriate
Old 09-24-10, 09:15 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

yea i tried to pack my car before and its impossible. you have to be an expert tetris player to be able to pack that trunk.
Old 09-24-10, 09:42 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You didn't look at the trunk space before you bought the car?
Old 09-24-10, 09:46 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep the trunk volume is fine, but the shape makes it unusable for anything that is large and rigid. It's because the roof lining has that hump in it, and the wheel wells come into the trunk making it some kind of deformed T shape.

That's fine though, I knew I wasn't going to get the same kind of transportation capability with this car over my Matrix.
Old 09-24-10, 09:46 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah Henry. I completely agree with you there. Our trunks are terrible!
Old 09-24-10, 10:05 AM
LexFather

Its an oddly shaped trunk. One thing I noticed about the E class and 5 series is they design the trunks to be pretty straightforward so you can easily process how deep, wide and long the trunk is, even if they sacrifice room at the sides.

Contrarily many Japanese luxury cars seem to try to make the most of the trunk AFTER the car has been designed. Remember the 1GS and 1SC has the fuel tank behind the seat so trunk room was awful. They rather use space on the sides but have a less deep trunk. Thats great for small bags but for suitcases it is of no help.

I agree the 3GS trunk is a step back from the 2GS and a total afterthought. My wifes old Altima had a great big trunk and the car looks like the GS, even dimensions are similar.

Not sure wtf is taking up space in the GS trunk
Old 09-24-10, 10:20 AM
808LexGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the trunk is small and oddly shaped but I was once able to fit a suitcase and 3 golf bags in it.

A couple of friends and I were golfing one day and my gf's flight came in earlier than planned so we had to go straight from the golf course to the airport. I was worried that everything wouldn't fit on the way to LAX but it did and the suitcase was a full size travel suitcase.
Old 09-24-10, 10:22 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its the wheel arches and the tailights. The other car has more of an overhang so its wider trunk, and the tailights make it difficult to put stuff in.
Old 09-24-10, 10:30 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least U could drive home.

I bought a 42" TV and was trying to stuff it into a Camry. If the seat were able to fold down it would be great. But nooooo. I tried for over an hr fitting it into the trunk....

So I said fine, I'll put it in the back seat and risk the box pieced into my leather seat. It was short by about 2inch. through the door. OMG.

I consider unpack the TV but the sky look like it gonna rain. Electronic don't do well in rain.

Had to call my brother to bring his van.

I have not had any problem putting stuff in my GS's trunk yet. *knock on wood*
Old 09-24-10, 10:34 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like someone didn't do a good enough research before purchasing his vehicle

I actually had a minimum size requirement on the trunk when I was car shopping, but in the end, I decided to just use the wife's E to haul "big" stuff. So, after 2 years, I am not disappointed in the trunk size because I have already accepted it from the beginning.
Old 09-24-10, 10:57 AM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put 2 18" wheels a folding chair along with cleaning supplies in my GS430 and still had a little room to spair.... if you want to talk about no trunk space when the 3rd row seat is up in my Aviator you barely have room for a folding chair.....

Quick Reply: Pissed off with my GS350 (rant)