GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

LLumar Air Blue 80 vs. 3M Crystalline

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 12:36 PM
TMF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LLumar Air Blue 80 vs. 3M Crystalline

Hi guys. I’m planning to tint my new GS350, but I’m still not sure which film to use for my windshield. Both the Crystalline and the Air 80 are both very good, but my question is which one is a better choice? I haven’t found any review that stated which one has the advantage over the other. Assuming the price isn't an issue, which film would you rather have? Thanks.
Old 09-22-10, 01:49 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I think both are very good products. I did the 3M Crystalline 70 on my windshield as it's the preferred choice from my installer. I did the sides and rear in 40 and the windshield in 70 this summer. Car is Flint Mica w/ black interior. Tint made a HUGE difference in in cab heat, both when parked and when driving (AC didn't have to work as hard or be set as low as without tint).

The 3M rejects 7% more solar energy than the AB80 which is really the best general measure of "heat" from what i understand. 7% may not sound like much but as a percentage of 43% for the AB80, it's pretty significant.

Again, I don't think you can go wrong with either; both are premium products.

Specs from online:

3M Crystalline 70
68% Visible Light Transmitted
50% Total Solar Energy Rejected
59% On Angle†
97% Infrared Rejected††
38% Solar Heat Reduction
9% Visible Light Reflection Int.
9% Visible Light Reflection Ext.
99.9% UV Rejected
23% Glare Reduction

LLumar AB80
Visible Light Transmittance: 78%
Total Solar Energy Rejected: 43%
Visible Light Reflected: 9%
Ultraviolet Rejected: 99.9 %
Infrared Transmission (1600 Nanometers): <11%
Infrared Transmission (1090 Nanometers): <17%

Last edited by twylie; 09-22-10 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 02:31 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly I don't see the point of expensive tints... the law of diminishing returns applies. A decent "low end" tint that comes installed with a lifetime warranty is just as good really. Unless you want some kind of wacky specific shade/look that is, I suppose.
Old 09-22-10, 02:59 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Honestly I don't see the point of expensive tints... the law of diminishing returns applies. A decent "low end" tint that comes installed with a lifetime warranty is just as good really. Unless you want some kind of wacky specific shade/look that is, I suppose.
Same could be said of high performance/expensive cars, watches, audio gear etc...

I was willing to pay for a high end tint to get as much heat cut as possible. dark exterior + black interior + GA and FL in the summer = brutal heat in the car. Cost differential on low end tint vs the best on the market is maybe $500. For me, virtually inconsequential on a $50-60k car to get the best performance available.

Also, there are no low end tints that block any significant heat in the 70/80 series range. You want to cut heat on the biggest piece of glass, you have to pay.

Edit: to OP - Huper Optik also makes a high end ceramic for use on windshields if you want to add another brand in the mix.

Last edited by twylie; 09-22-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 07:48 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by twylie
Same could be said of high performance/expensive cars, watches, audio gear etc...

I was willing to pay for a high end tint to get as much heat cut as possible. dark exterior + black interior + GA and FL in the summer = brutal heat in the car. Cost differential on low end tint vs the best on the market is maybe $500. For me, virtually inconsequential on a $50-60k car to get the best performance available.

Also, there are no low end tints that block any significant heat in the 70/80 series range. You want to cut heat on the biggest piece of glass, you have to pay.

Edit: to OP - Huper Optik also makes a high end ceramic for use on windshields if you want to add another brand in the mix.
Tint is not the same thing. Can you really tell the difference between a well installed average tint and a well installed expensive tint? I can't. Maybe I've just been lucky getting budget tint done at low prices and ending up looking great. Paying three or four times as much for a few percentage points of improved energy reflection just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 09-22-10, 08:01 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the llumar ab80. no complaints at all. its barely noticeable, but cuts glare tremendously at night and helps with sun a lot even though its barely darker than stock.

i an email pics if anyone wants to see the difference in color. they cut the corner out for my inspection sticker and you can see the difference.
Old 09-22-10, 11:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Tint is not the same thing. Can you really tell the difference between a well installed average tint and a well installed expensive tint? I can't. Maybe I've just been lucky getting budget tint done at low prices and ending up looking great. Paying three or four times as much for a few percentage points of improved energy reflection just doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah but you live in Canada. The entire concept of a tint shouldn't make sense to you.

Live in Texas or Florida and it would be well worth the extra money to get maximum heat rejection.
Old 09-23-10, 05:20 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by batman75
Yeah but you live in Canada. The entire concept of a tint shouldn't make sense to you.

Live in Texas or Florida and it would be well worth the extra money to get maximum heat rejection.
It's true that it's hotter longer down there, but believe it or not the summers here can get - nearly - as hot as the summers there. It's not uncommon to push up around 100F. Of course, that is not a regular occurrence and half the year is freezing cold.

The temperature difference in a car with average tint vs. top of the lint tint can't be more than a few degrees can it? Certainly putting a reflective windscreen cover up when parked would make far more difference than having any tint at all.

But in general, I agree with your argument, I've never lived in Texas so my view of how important a couple of degrees might be is skewed. Plus, I'm a pretty thrifty guy that tries to stretch a dollar where I can. Just because I don't get it, doesn't mean that I'm right. :P

Is any amount of tint on a windshield legal anywhere? I'm not sure if I'd want tint on a windshield to begin with as it tends to be the glass that gets the most abuse and require the most cleaning it seems. I'm not sure why but I seem to be constantly windexing the windshield. Could be because my paws are always on it because I'm always probing for ways to make the dash quieter!