GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Metal scraping noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 05:45 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Metal scraping noise when turning

this is finally getting too annoying to ignore. the noise sounds like i'm dragging a piece of metal along the ground whenever i turn right. the sharper the turn, the louder the sound. can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?
Old 09-20-10, 06:20 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a brake rotor cover that might be bent, had the exact same problem.

took the wheel/caliper/rotor off and hammered it a little and problem was solved.

if that is the problem (mine also occured when turning right and was rubbing on the bottom on the drivers side) you will see a exposed metal shiny area where it hits. when i jacked the car up and spun the wheels by hand i could isolate which wheel it was comming from, the noise only occured on mine between 1-3 oclock on the steering wheel and increased with speed.

the sound of mine was a metal to metal almost hissing kind of noise.

Last edited by charmz; 09-20-10 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 06:31 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Happened to me, is it a regular kind of scrape scrape scrape kind of sound?

Took mine in and they replaced the wheel bearings on my front passenger side. They said that the boot was deformed and had let water in corroding the bearings.
Old 09-20-10, 07:01 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Happened to me, is it a regular kind of scrape scrape scrape kind of sound?
what do you mean by this? like instead of hearing "scraaaaaaaaaape" i hear "scrapescrapescrapescrapescrape"?
Old 09-20-10, 07:19 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by gridlock13
what do you mean by this? like instead of hearing "scraaaaaaaaaape" i hear "scrapescrapescrapescrapescrape"?
By regular I mean, yes, like occurring at regular intervals. scrapescrapescrape...scrape...scrapescrapescrape...scrape.

Well, in my case, it wasn't as much of a scraping sound as a "ting ping ping" kind of sound like dropping pebbles in a tin can almost. It sounds different when you're listening to echoes from inside the car than it sounds listening from the outside. It also plays tricks on the location.

I had my wife drive the car in circles slowly while I walked alongside with my ears to the wheels to pinpoint it before I brought it in.

Gotta love describing car noises on the interwebs... call me when you start hearing the Hee-Haw, Hee-Haw.
Old 09-20-10, 07:46 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

hahaha yeah i've read about how the boot cover can tear and dirt can get inside. the "ting ping ping" noise has something to do with the knuckles right? but no that's not the noise my car is making. it is just a scraping noise (scraaaaaaaaaaaape).

charmz, thanks for the tip. if that's the case, is it possible to bend the metal back without taking off the rotor? i don't know how to take it off and i'm not about to "trial and error" something as serious as my brakes.

and thank you both for the quick reply
Old 09-20-10, 07:57 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

take the wheel off and try prying it with a flat head. only problem is you will only be able to see where it is rubbing (if that is even the problem your having) by taking the rotor off and seeing the shiny scrapes. so if you dont know where its hitting, its hard to know where to pry.

i also tried this approach first, and it helped a bit but the noise was still there. it was only after taking the rotor off and hammering it is when it went away.

Last edited by charmz; 09-20-10 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 04:30 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

typically whenever you hear any type of scrape noise when turning, its usually the brake pads.
Old 09-21-10, 04:32 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
typically whenever you hear any type of scrape noise when turning, its usually the brake pads.
do you think it could be loose brake pads?
Old 09-22-10, 04:36 PM
vi3txdr34m
Rookie

very unlikly unless the pads arent clipped in... but mine makes this noise too!! ne help would be awesome ....
Old 09-23-10, 04:39 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

yea i doubt they are loose, its probably the brake pad indicator rubbing letting you know that its almost time for new pads.
Old 09-23-10, 05:05 AM
BinaryJay

I think you need to suck it up and take it to a shop and see what they say. I tried all of the things suggested here when I was having the weird noises when I was turning at low speeds including pushing the rotor covers back and like I said it turned out to be wheel bearings and I got a whole new wheel hub assembly under warranty as the lexus warranty covers these components even under the powertrain warranty.

It kind of made me worried about the condition of the hub on the other side of the car but I guess it's fine. At least I hope they took a look at the other side while they were at it for safety sake.
Old 09-23-10, 07:23 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

yeah i'm scared to take it to lexus since my car is out of warranty (over 81k miles). i'm gonna take the wheel off and see if i can see any shiny areas before i take it to a mechanic.

and if the pads are low, wouldn't i hear a squealing noise whenever i braked instead of this scraping sound? and aren't our cars equipped with a dash light that tells us when the pads are too worn down?
Old 09-23-10, 07:46 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

not all the time. when the pads get really low is when you will hear it when braking. when the indicator starts to rub is when you'll hear it when you turn the wheel.

no there is no light for brake pads.
Old 10-09-10, 01:02 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

i finally got around to taking the wheel off today. i couldn't see any shiny areas with the brakes still attached and i had just come back from driving so i'm not touching hot rotors. i thought the area charmz was talking about would be easy to see but it isn't. i'm gonna try to bend the metal a little when the car hasn't been driven and update this thread. and there was plenty of brake pad left so it can't be that.

Quick Reply: Metal scraping noise when turning