GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thoughts After Valve Spring Recall Done (pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 12:37 PM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

would the dealer have an issue with me having a K&N intake installed? im to lazy to go back to stock for this? and which dealer or service rep would you guys recomend in the OC area?
BTW im at 79k miles and worried about them hasseling me
Old 10-11-10, 01:08 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRA928
would the dealer have an issue with me having a K&N intake installed? im to lazy to go back to stock for this? and which dealer or service rep would you guys recomend in the OC area?
BTW im at 79k miles and worried about them hasseling me
Shouldn't be a problem. It's a recall. Mileage shouldn't matter. If they do, contact Lexus North America.
Old 10-13-10, 08:42 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K so i got my car back after recall, no change at all. I still have rough vibration at idle as i did before no changes what so ever i even think they never even did it. Or maybe vibration is from something else?
Old 10-13-10, 08:47 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
K so i got my car back after recall, no change at all. I still have rough vibration at idle as i did before no changes what so ever i even think they never even did it. Or maybe vibration is from something else?
Well, I guess YMMV. My idle vibration reduced but it's not entirely entirely gone. I can feel it once in awhile.
Old 10-17-10, 06:54 PM
gyro.mac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

08 GS450h with 8500 miles....

3 day service....funny how when you make your appt the tech says "we only do these on Thurs"...got it back on Sat??? still wondering if THE ONE AND ONLY tech did the service...probably NOT

no gas fill up, but they did wash it (it was detailed 1 week before the service so big wow they cleaned up their mess)

Tech or someone drove it around for 35 miles or so (hey with a 2 year old car with that low mileage you notice these things)...

Was handed a bill that did not list what they did....just ALE Valve Spring N/C no explanation/no parts list.

sadly my baby doesn't sound the same as it did built out of Tahara...she never will

shame....Lexus somewhere changed from pursuit of perfection to the pursuit of PROFIT...
Old 10-17-10, 07:49 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Question - is there a 'drop dead' date when this has to be done, or can the fix go
ad infiitum?
Old 10-17-10, 07:57 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Question - is there a 'drop dead' date when this has to be done, or can the fix go
ad infiitum?
Not that I'm aware of and nothing was stated in the recall document.
Old 10-18-10, 10:05 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Originally Posted by gyro.mac
shame....Lexus somewhere changed from pursuit of perfection to the pursuit of PROFIT...
Couldn't agree more!
Old 10-18-10, 10:52 AM
nicnac
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just to point out guys that 999 out of 1000 people will notice no difference except plecebo effect .Maybe sight difference if newest firmware loaded after job.
The chance that your springs were broken is minute!!!!.This change is precautionary as the springs May be faulty and fail.
I wonder how many actual broken springs have been found .Any LexTechs on this board may have some data???
Old 10-18-10, 11:11 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

as soon as I get my car back I'm going to take mine in to get the valve springs replaced
Old 10-18-10, 12:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

there is absolutely zero performance difference from the recall

but since they have to disconnect battery, everything including the ecu is reset and that will reset the throttle response timing and such, making some feel the car is more powerful. but it has zero to do with the new valve springs.

feel free to disconnect your battery at home and wait 30 mins, connect it back, drive like a mad man for 15 mins, and see how your car response
Old 10-19-10, 06:34 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nicnac
just to point out guys that 999 out of 1000 people will notice no difference except plecebo effect .Maybe sight difference if newest firmware loaded after job.
The chance that your springs were broken is minute!!!!.This change is precautionary as the springs May be faulty and fail.
I wonder how many actual broken springs have been found .Any LexTechs on this board may have some data???

My spring broke 300 miles away from home in November 2009 which was before the official recall. Lexus took care of me and even towed the car back to my home dealer. I would advise anyone who hasn't already had the recall done to do it immediately because you don't want it to break while you are on the road.
Old 10-19-10, 08:56 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KayGee
My spring broke 300 miles away from home in November 2009 which was before the official recall. Lexus took care of me and even towed the car back to my home dealer. I would advise anyone who hasn't already had the recall done to do it immediately because you don't want it to break while you are on the road.
Yikes. Was the car un-drivable then?
Old 10-19-10, 09:46 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Originally Posted by KayGee
Yep. I remember your posts. That was during a family trip at Thanksgiving, right? That sounded like a nightmare.

Should be required reading for anyone still on the fence about getting this taken care of.
Old 10-20-10, 05:33 PM
DanMan2k06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

08 GS450h with 8500 miles....

3 day service....funny how when you make your appt the tech says "we only do these on Thurs"...got it back on Sat??? still wondering if THE ONE AND ONLY tech did the service...probably NOT

no gas fill up, but they did wash it (it was detailed 1 week before the service so big wow they cleaned up their mess)

Tech or someone drove it around for 35 miles or so (hey with a 2 year old car with that low mileage you notice these things)...

Was handed a bill that did not list what they did....just ALE Valve Spring N/C no explanation/no parts list.

sadly my baby doesn't sound the same as it did built out of Tahara...she never will

I'm kinda puzzled by your disappointment? If you're mad about the 35 miles and no gas fill up, that's one thing. But being mad just because they put 35 miles on your car is dumb. Of course they're going to drive it for a while. They just took your whole top end apart, so a quick trip around the block to make sure everything is kosher just isn't going to cut it.

As for the parts list, there really wouldn't be anything to list other than the springs. There are a few seals and gaskets that get replaced where old ones were removed, but it all comes in a kit.

Quick Reply: Thoughts After Valve Spring Recall Done (pics added)