GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Clunking while turning or going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 12:11 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clunking while turning or going over bumps

Hello all,

Sorry if this is a newb question but I did a search and didn't really come up with anything that is related to my problem. Hopefully someone out there can shed some light.

After I make a turn and I counter-steer and straighten out, I will hear/feel a clunking sound. It sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side but I am not certain. I hear this clunking sound whether I am turning left or right. I also get the clunking sound if going over a bump (e.g. speed bump, a driveway) or sometimes just by braking. If I'm going over a bump in a turn (e.g. entering a driveway), it can make a lot of clunking noise.

I noticed this sound happening about 6 months ago but it was much less frequent and thought it was a loose HID ballast moving around in my bumper (for my fog lights --since secured properly).

I plan to take it into a Lexus dealership on Friday (I have 76,500 km and my warranty runs out at 80,000 km) and see what they say. The main dealership I deal with here wouldn't take a look at it since they said I was running aftermarket springs (F Sport) and non-OEM rims. They said they'd look at it if I returned the car to stock. I'm going to try my luck at a couple of other dealerships before going that route.

The initial dealership did take a quick look and mentioned that there was a "bit of play" with the control arm (didn't mention upper or lower) but again wouldn't really investigate until the car was returned to stock.

Could this be a worn bushings issue? I am lowered on F Sport springs and larger, heavier wheels. I swap out my 19" rims with my OEM 17" rims in the winter so I've only really driven with the 19" rims for about 10 months and on the lowered suspension for about 12 months.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-10-10, 12:26 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a loose sway bar.

Who put in your F-Sport springs? If put in by Lexus dealer then it's covered by Lexus bumper-to-bumper warranty. I'm surprised they make a fuss about wheels. Springs I understand, but not wheels. You could always go with your winter wheels and argue back and say the car is 100% Lexus. Springs are Lexus F-Sport not aftermarket.
Old 08-10-10, 12:45 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by batman75
Sounds like a loose sway bar.

Who put in your F-Sport springs? If put in by Lexus dealer then it's covered by Lexus bumper-to-bumper warranty. I'm surprised they make a fuss about wheels. Springs I understand, but not wheels. You could always go with your winter wheels and argue back and say the car is 100% Lexus. Springs are Lexus F-Sport not aftermarket.
I had an independent mechanic put in the F Sport springs. Technically they are for RWD and I have an AWD GS. Also, I'm not quite sure how F-Sport and factory warranty works here in Canada. Many times Lexus USA and Lexus Canada have different policies, strangely enough.
Old 08-10-10, 12:48 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

could be a strut mount or it could be the spring binding up. jack the car up and make sure the springs are seated properly on the perch.
Old 08-10-10, 01:00 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like classic symptoms of something loose/broken in one of the suspension components.
Old 08-10-10, 02:27 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
could be a strut mount or it could be the spring binding up. jack the car up and make sure the springs are seated properly on the perch.
I'm not really well versed in things automotive. Can you elaborate on this point about the spring binding up? I read somewhere throughout my Google searches that sometimes if the nuts that secure the strut to the chassis are not torqued to the correct specifications it could cause clunking/noise.

Is the perch the part that the spring sits on? I believe I've seen pictures on the forums here of a member who had to get his springs reinstalled because the spring wasn't in the notch of the perch. Sorry if this sounds ambiguous but I think I know what you're talking about and I'm pretty sure that it is lined up correctly. I watched them install the springs from start to finish.

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Sounds like classic symptoms of something loose/broken in one of the suspension components.
Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I would just like to have an idea of what could be the problem before a mechanic tells me or tries to convince me what is wrong.
Old 08-10-10, 05:00 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The other day I thought my car start to make clunking sound too. While cleaning my car I pull out the arm pillar and found that the door to the back trunk wasn't all the way close. I guess one of the kids ride in the back must have play around with it. I closed it tightly and no more clunking.
Old 08-14-10, 12:34 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

I tried another dealership and they were willing to take a look at my car with the F-Sport springs installed.

It turned out that the "eccentric cam for right front alignment adjustment loose" and they "tightened (the) eccentric cam nut." The clunking sound seems to have disappeared, which is nice. The only problem is that my alignment is way out of wack now with my steering wheel off-centre. They said that if the noise doesn't reappear to come back and they will do a 4 wheel alignment for $120.

I don't feel like I should have to pay when my alignment was presumably fine when I brought it in (steering wheel dead centre and car went straight when not holding onto the steering wheel). I guess I'll talk to the service manager on Monday.

Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions as to what the problem could have been. Glad to know that it wasn't that pricey of a fix, although it may cost me $120 to get an alignment...
Old 08-14-10, 01:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just take it to an alignment shop. You dont have to take it to the dealer.
Old 08-14-10, 01:17 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$120 for an alignment is not bad. Sears charges $75 but it's a pretty bad experience at Sears with no reservation system, a low-rent crowd in the waiting room, etc. Most quality independents will be in the $80-120 range.

Personally I don't take mine to dealer because they just don't do a good job.
Old 08-14-10, 01:31 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

When I installed my F-Sport springs I did the alignment at an independent shop. I suspect they didn't tighten the nut to spec (hence it coming loose). I think I'd just do it at the dealer although I still don't feel like I should have to pay. Just doesn't seem right to mess up my alignment and then tell me to pay to fix it...
Old 08-14-10, 02:12 PM
anaq110
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro take it over to B-line in Sauga if you need to get an alignment done again. They have worked on my ride and other AWD setups. I think he charged me 75 or so.
Old 08-14-10, 02:45 PM
masterchri
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought, but it might be a TSB? SB0024-08 APR 08
Old 07-14-16, 10:53 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy

It turned out that the "eccentric cam for right front alignment adjustment loose"
This site never fails to deliver! My car developed the same problem in the last month or so. I looked everywhere, couldn't find anything. Since the car is still under the extended "Lexus Care" warranty, I made an appt. at the dealership (which is about 35 miles away) for tomorrow afternoon.

After reading this thread, I remembered that I had the alignment done in March. I ran to the garage, threw the car up on jack stands and sure enough, the passenger side alignment nut on the lower arm was not tight. It wasn't lose, but I was able to turn it about 1 full turn to tighten completely. The noise is gone!

Saved me a ton of time that I would have to waste at the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks, RudeDoggy!