GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus, glorified Toyota??

Old 08-07-10, 10:30 AM
DaBeast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LB23
There u go, this guy basically understands it.

I mean, if toyota made all the effort to make an entire separate brand many years ago, with lots of millions of dollars involved, a luxury brand as a matter of fact, why this remains? WHy u get toyota genuine parts? I should get lexus brand parts, at least that`s what I don`t like.
Aint this a lexus?

There is no confusion fellas.

But what about Infiniti/acura owners? that happpens to them as well?

Just a curious question.
And no one knows which platform this GS is based on?
Yes Infiniti and Acura owners have the same thing. If you ever get to check out what behind a parts counter at a dealership that's how they all are. They use the same parts almost all of the time and sometimes they say Toyota sometimes Lexus and Sometimes TRD but they are always made in the same plant but are stickered differently. The reason it is a Toyota genuine part is because it is a Toyota Genuine part.

The answer to the second question is no car shares a platform w/ a GS. A GS is on it's own platform and only shares some similarities with the Avalon. But if anyone where to say that it's just like an Avalon they would be wrong because the Avalon isn't even a rear wheel drive car.
Old 08-07-10, 10:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Most Lexus (less than 5 years old) get serviced at the dealership where the owners rarely see the Toyota packaging/box. How many times have you've gotten an oil change where the service tech brings you the filter/oil before they perform the service? You won't see them so Toyota doesn't care if it says Toyota on the box. Those who DIY should be happy it says Toyota on the box, otherwise it might cost even more just so you can glance at the Lexus logo for 3 seconds before throwing the box away.
Old 08-07-10, 10:49 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a HUGE deal, OP should sell his car immediately!

Sort of like finding out a Big Mac does not some from a McDonalds cow.
Old 04-13-14, 09:52 AM
RedlexGs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
You get a box that says Toyota because it is a Toyota. Infiniti parts come from Nissan and Acura parts come from Honda. Acura engines and parts say Honda on them, but that doesn't mean your Acura literally has a lawnmower engine.

I don't really understand what the confusion is here.

The GS doesn't share any platforms with Toyotas. I think most of the badmouthing typically comes from people who don't have the money for the upper end brand but wish they did?
I got into a discussion with a co -working an I was teasing him saying that I will blow is 2002 cadlic v-8 northstar in a race. he was stating that the GS 350 is a wannabe high performance vehicle. I feel that people do say these things cause they cant afford one. then my other co worker said that BMW is better than lexus which is false to me. the money I spent on my GS I could've but a BMW or a Mercedes bit I bet I would of been on the side of the road calling for a tow! LEXUS RULES THE LUXRY segment!
Old 04-13-14, 04:53 PM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am missing something.... What is wrong with a Toyota
It was probably the number one reason I even looked at Lexus. If Toyota had a similar car to the GS in their line up I would have got that if the price was right. It is not normal to want to spend money just for a name/badge.

For what is worth... I am curious what you think of Jaguar and Land Rover.... wait till you find out about the high quality brand name of the parent company....
Old 04-14-14, 01:05 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

isn't it from ford?
Old 04-14-14, 06:08 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
isn't it from ford?
Was long ago, now it's TaTa
Old 04-14-14, 07:31 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

and my dad can beat up your dad blah blah blah

its a matter of opinion. some like lexus, some like bmw and some like caddys. any real enthusiast will respect a car.
Old 04-14-14, 08:14 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI

its a matter of opinion. some like lexus, some like bmw and some like caddys. any real enthusiast will respect a car.
Said best! Although this is an old thread, I used to have the same feeling as to why Toyota didn't try to keep there cars different from there Lexus brand but then I grew to find that it really doesn't matter unless your a brand snob that's when it becomes a problem to many. Example the Hyundai Genesis 2015 and the Kia K900 I would never buy them because they are Kia's only reason but I can't deny that they are great looking cars and drive pretty nicely.
Old 04-14-14, 09:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI

so well said
Old 04-14-14, 11:00 AM
On3racing
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nowadays, people are buying and driving cars not knowing who makes and owns the brand. Here's a list of who owns which car brands among the major automotive companies that sell in the United States.

BMW owns: Mini and Rolls Royce.

Fiat owns: Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Ram and SRT.

Ford Motor Company owns: Lincoln and a small stake in Mazda.

General Motors owns: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC. GM owns a controlling interest in Opel and Vauxhall in Europe and Holden in Australia. (The U.S. Treasury Department is in the process of selling off the remaining GM stock holidngs.)

Honda owns: Acura.

Hyundai owns: Kia.

Tata Motors (India) owns: Jaguar and Land Rover.

Mazda mostly independently owned (Ford has small stake)

Mitsubishi is independently owned.

Daimler AG owns: Mercedes-Benz and Smart.

Nissan owns: Infiniti. (Nissan, in turn, is owned by Renault.)

Saab is owned by National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVS).

Subaru: Owned by Fuji Heavy Industries with Toyota a minority partner.

Tesla: Toyota is a minority partner. Partnership with Daimler AG.

Toyota Motor Company owns: Lexus, Scion, Daihatsu and Hino Motors, with a stake in Fuji Industries (Subaru's parent company) and Isuzu.

Volkswagen owns: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and overseas-brands SEAT and Skoda.

Volvo is owned by Chinese-automaker Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, aka Geely.
Old 04-14-14, 04:23 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Wait.... My GS is a TYTA?! Selling it.....

In all seriousness, you could own a Tata Motors Land Rover/Jag, or an older Chrysler-built Benz... Whenever people say that to me, I can only respond with "yeah? So? Better to have reliable roots." That usually leaves them with nothing. People who think they drive the exact same clearly haven't owned either/both, and obviously have no idea what they're talking about. I'm a 'Yota fan till the end, so I see it as a complement
Old 04-14-14, 04:36 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

The other makes can't do this with their name:

Old 04-15-14, 02:49 PM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get why people hate on Lexus and Toyota in general. It is a great car company, that produces reliable cars. Yes, they may be slow in the fun to drive section, but they try from time to time to produce exciting cars (The latest FR-S for example).

Truth is, we have Toyota engines/ component. So of course the parts box is going to say Toyota on it. Do I care? Heck no. My oil changes are cheap. My Parts are cheap and my wallet is happy.

I don't know why people look down on Lexus so much. Back when the first LS's came out, it shook the automotive world by their foundation. An AFFORDABLE Luxury sedan.. from Toyota??? Look at where they are now, both in name and reliability. And others are taking notice and following in their footsteps (Luxury sedans from Kia (K900), Hyundai (Genesis, Equus) etc).

The bottom line is that Lexus is a luxury brand, that produces luxury cars, both entry-level (IS) to top level (LS). That is share the bloodline with Toyota shouldn't make it any less notorious for producing a luxurious, comfortable, and feature laden automobile.
Old 04-15-14, 05:58 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

how come some BMW don't get GM written on the box when GM is the company that make transmission for most BMW?

Toyota isn't cheap anymore now days, a fully loaded Sienna could cost up to 50k+. And they still ride like a dream.

Lexus GS isn't really in its own platform, it share chassis with the Supra, 4 DOOR SUPRA!!!