GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check System light went on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 11:17 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check System light went on.

So the check system light went on after driving 30 minutes then hitting traffic. Would it be possible that it's the TPMS telling me the tire pressure is low? The tires i have are 245 30 and 285 25..the psi on both tires on the driver side are at 30 and the passenger side are both at 33. could that be the reason? Anyone know what the recommended PSI is for tires that size?

If that's not the reason, then im guessing i prolly should take it to the dealership. where they will nickel and dime me for everything
Old 07-18-10, 12:07 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mentioned the check system light ... did the tire pressure warning light come on too?

This doesn't sound like your problem necessarily, but by tire pressure warning light kept coming on a couple of years ago. It would come on when I started the car and go away after I drove a bit. Turned out to be a thin nail had become embedded in the tread, causing a super-slow leak. After the tire heated up a bit, The pressure increased just enough to make the TPMS happy and turn off. Dealership figured it out when they removed the tire.
Old 07-18-10, 03:16 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
So the check system light went on after driving 30 minutes then hitting traffic. Would it be possible that it's the TPMS telling me the tire pressure is low? The tires i have are 245 30 and 285 25..the psi on both tires on the driver side are at 30 and the passenger side are both at 33. could that be the reason? Anyone know what the recommended PSI is for tires that size?

If that's not the reason, then im guessing i prolly should take it to the dealership. where they will nickel and dime me for everything
I had the same problem on my 06.
Discovered it was the gas cap. The 06 model was a flawed design. They have improved it and I bought one. Problem solved.
Old 07-18-10, 03:22 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to AutoZone or a similar auto parts store - they should plug into your OBD for free and tell you what code have been thrown.
Old 07-18-10, 08:11 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Bavaria what is OBD?

Last edited by Lex Luga; 07-18-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-18-10, 08:17 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

it's not the gas cap. I just turned the car on and tightened the gas cap and the check system light is still on...i read the car manual and it said it has to do with the tpms..

Last edited by Lex Luga; 07-18-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-18-10, 08:45 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CAK 500
You mentioned the check system light ... did the tire pressure warning light come on too?

This doesn't sound like your problem necessarily, but by tire pressure warning light kept coming on a couple of years ago. It would come on when I started the car and go away after I drove a bit. Turned out to be a thin nail had become embedded in the tread, causing a super-slow leak. After the tire heated up a bit, The pressure increased just enough to make the TPMS happy and turn off. Dealership figured it out when they removed the tire.
how much did your dealer charge? im sure the dealers around here will kill me with their prices. I really hope i dont have to spend money on a new tire bc $ is an issue these days
Old 07-18-10, 09:11 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lex,

OBD is on board diagnostics - it's the connection under your dash AutoZone (or the dealer, at a ridiculous cost) will plug a diagnostic instrument into to see what fault codes are thrown. They will be able to tell you why your check system light is on. My wife had her Infiniti checked at AutoZone - for free- and the code reader indicated it was her emission system. They recommended a new gas cap, which we purchased there. We were also told the computer will reset itself after several (numerous) startups. Two weeks later, the light stayed off. Hope this helps, but whatever you do, don't pay a dealer to do something you can get done for free.
Old 07-18-10, 11:00 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bavaria
lex,

obd is on board diagnostics - it's the connection under your dash autozone (or the dealer, at a ridiculous cost) will plug a diagnostic instrument into to see what fault codes are thrown. They will be able to tell you why your check system light is on. My wife had her infiniti checked at autozone - for free- and the code reader indicated it was her emission system. They recommended a new gas cap, which we purchased there. We were also told the computer will reset itself after several (numerous) startups. Two weeks later, the light stayed off. Hope this helps, but whatever you do, don't pay a dealer to do something you can get done for free.
amen!!!!!!
Old 07-19-10, 04:16 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

it's not the gas cap. I just turned the car on and tightened the gas cap and the check system light is still on...i read the car manual and it said it has to do with the tpms..
doesnt matter if you just tightened it. it takes a few days for the car to finally cycle through to reset the code. what lights are on the dash? if it were your gas cap you would have 2 lights on the dash and the display would say check vsc.

i dont think its your tpms. unless you drove over 50 miles then they wouldnt kick on.
Old 07-19-10, 04:30 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much did your dealer charge? im sure the dealers around here will kill me with their prices. I really hope i dont have to spend money on a new tire bc $ is an issue these days
It was no charge. Back when the car was brand new and the honeymoon with the dealership was still going.

Autozone sounds like a no-risk and reasonable way to go to me. Find out what the codes are, then take it from there.
Old 07-19-10, 10:53 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
doesnt matter if you just tightened it. it takes a few days for the car to finally cycle through to reset the code. what lights are on the dash? if it were your gas cap you would have 2 lights on the dash and the display would say check vsc.

i dont think its your tpms. unless you drove over 50 miles then they wouldnt kick on.
I drove more than 50 miles that day and it says in the manual that the light that went on is related to tpms and how something maybe interfering with the frequency or something like that...it cant be bluetooth though bc i always use my bluetooth and that never happened before in the 3 years owning the car
Old 07-19-10, 12:03 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Lex, do you have upgraded wheels? If yes, did you get the TPMS installed?

If you have stock wheels, it is possible one of your sensors went bad.

Does the dash light look like this (_!_) ? and the other one is a triangle with ! in the middle?
Old 07-19-10, 12:08 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove more than 50 miles that day and it says in the manual that the light that went on is related to tpms and how something maybe interfering with the frequency or something like that...it cant be bluetooth though bc i always use my bluetooth and that never happened before in the 3 years owning the car
the system checks once you hit 50 miles into a trip. more than likely you triggered that. if your front tires are 30psi then thats why. if you dont have tmps' then thats another reason why.

btw 50 miles in 30 minutes? you must be driving pretty quick
Old 07-19-10, 02:43 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll try again, 06 gas caps are faulty. Once the problem starts it doesn't matter how many times you tighten or turn it. Change it. Doesn't cost much. I took mine to the dealer too and they didn't figure it out. I did. I kept asking questions about why the light would come on, going through endless possibilites until the know-it-all techs listened and checked if the gas cap part number has been changed since production. It was...which gave an indication the original needed to be changed. We tried it and taaaa daaaahhh! The light went off and has not returned.

Last edited by Ice350; 07-19-10 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Check System light went on.