GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

installed v-hids *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 01:14 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default installed v-hids *pics*

These I guess are my second set that im installing. I installed a set late last year and had a fog light ballast go out on me and had some issue with one of the low beams being pretty yellow. Ive been in school so I haven't had much time to send them back and get them replaced but they told me to buy another set and return the old one for a refund so I guess that works with me it keeps me from being lightless. Anyway I decided to go with 6k purple instead of my previous blue because I wanted it to be a little more colored, but in retrospect the blue definitely was more colored. It seems kinda misleading on the website but it still has plenty of color and brightness for my needs.

the kit is 9006 6k w/ purple tint
d4s 6k with purple tint
the inside 194 bulbs are piaa hyper yellow with autometer yellow sleeves

they upgraded the ballasts since my first set last year, I dunno if its just a physical mod or if they did anything inside the ballast but they definitely have a more smooth and consistent start up.

I am really pleased the ballast are pretty thin and small and the provided 3m tape is pretty strong it held on pretty tightly onto the inside of the bumper. Been driving a week with it now and Ive been through some rain and they still seem to be holding on so ill give it some faith.

These are the pics of the first set I got. 6k with blue tint

drivers

passanger

its kinda hard to tell by the pictures but the passanger side looked alot more yellowish than the drivers side. Especially when I pulled up to another car the reflection looked a lot more yellow

pic i took against the garage door.

Anyway I replaced both low beams with the 6k purple to see how it would look, but again the passanger side bulb looked yellow so I thought maybe it was the projector, but I decided to replace it with the 6k blue bulb that wasn't yellowish and it ended up matching the 6k purple well. So not entirely sure why I was so unfortunate to get 2 bad batches but it mixed and matched well so I can't complain.

6k purple passenger side

6k purple driver side

this isnt a great camera to be taking pictures of hids with so the color isnt completely accurate but you can get an idea.

6k blue left and 6k purple right

mixnmatch ground color shot

6k blue passanger side 6k purple driver side

the 6k purple foglights ended up being a lot brighter and whiter than the 6k blue lights. I like it though because it gives more useable light directly infront of the car.

6k blue fog with 6k blue low

6k purple fog with 6k blue low

6k purple fog with 6k purple low

the color consistency on the previous kit and current kit are spot on. both fog lights look the exact same color.

so for the week ive been using them im pretty pleased with the new fog lights. I installed new luminics pureblue high beams to match the low beams a bit more and ive been switching on and off the high beams for approaching cars quite alot to see if the fog lights would turn on consistently and so far they haven't failed. im glad vleds has decided to jump into the hid game, theyve been my main source for leds for a while and now their vhid kit looks pretty good. Here's a pic of my other two cars sporting v-led license plate bulbs.

the 3gs will need to get some v-leds goodies soon too.
Old 07-14-10, 11:06 AM
myGSsoWET
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, a little too purple for me. How you turn your fogs on with no headlight?
Old 07-14-10, 12:03 PM
tardorange
Driver

Do those VLEDS give you error message in your 7 series in the iDrive? I got a error in my 5 saying the lights were out.
Old 07-15-10, 06:14 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myGSsoWET
Very nice, a little too purple for me. How you turn your fogs on with no headlight?
you can't look at the pics closely, I tossed a couple of towels over the headlights lol.

Originally Posted by tardorange
Do those VLEDS give you error message in your 7 series in the iDrive? I got a error in my 5 saying the lights were out.
Yeah they do but I just ignore it
Old 07-26-10, 02:10 PM
bklynjoker
Rookie

AMALAN ~ I replaced my bulbs but couldnt do the ballast... Did you have to take off your bumper to locate OEM wires going to OEM ballast???
Old 07-26-10, 02:22 PM
philipjdm
Driver

there are led bulbs that are made for not causing a error in the german cars. i believe they are at superbrightleds.com