GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

'06 GS300 on 20" Status Kinghts

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 04:13 PM
supags
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
You have a RWD you have not one excuse not to drop that thing, I highly recommend coilovers. Everytime I see a 3rd Gen GS at stock ride height I throw up in my mouth a little bit lol!!
loll haha you guys are jokes..I'm just wondering if I'm going with 19" you think i still need coilovers? or just get some good brand springs?
Old 03-31-11, 07:35 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supags
loll haha you guys are jokes..I'm just wondering if I'm going with 19" you think i still need coilovers? or just get some good brand springs?
My honest advice would be to spend the little extra money up front for coilovers, springs by themselves are going to cause the shocks to wear out prematurely costing you in the long run. The labor to install springs i s going to most likely cost more also because instead of just removing the strut and replacing with the coilover the factory strut must be broke down and new spring installed. I had Tein High tech springs on my car which is like the weakest drop there is and I will say they rode nice, but no better than the BCracing coilovers I have on now. The design of the monotube coilover enables you to lower and raise the car without ever touching the preload of the suspension, so when you lower the car you are not compressing the spring to do so. Another thing if you plan on running tight fitment and little wheel gap you might want to keep in mind that this car is not perfectly balanced and the driverside is about 3/8s of and inch lower than the passenger and I could see it. Coilovers will allow you to adjust your stance to near perfection and you can also four corner balance the car to handle turns much better. In my opinion my coilovers are the best modification I have done to my car. Bottom line is don t short yourself over a few hundred bucks that your going to end up spending anyway
Old 03-31-11, 08:36 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My honest advice would be to spend the little extra money up front for coilovers, springs by themselves are going to cause the shocks to wear out prematurely costing you in the long run. The labor to install springs i s going to most likely cost more also because instead of just removing the strut and replacing with the coilover the factory strut must be broke down and new spring installed. I had Tein High tech springs on my car which is like the weakest drop there is and I will say they rode nice, but no better than the BCracing coilovers I have on now. The design of the monotube coilover enables you to lower and raise the car without ever touching the preload of the suspension, so when you lower the car you are not compressing the spring to do so. Another thing if you plan on running tight fitment and little wheel gap you might want to keep in mind that this car is not perfectly balanced and the driverside is about 3/8s of and inch lower than the passenger and I could see it. Coilovers will allow you to adjust your stance to near perfection and you can also four corner balance the car to handle turns much better. In my opinion my coilovers are the best modification I have done to my car. Bottom line is don t short yourself over a few hundred bucks that your going to end up spending anyway
Can't agree with the part about shocks wearing out caused by springs. I have almost 5 years on wifeys GS and 4 years on mine with not premature shock wear that I can see.
Old 04-01-11, 03:54 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

^ actually shocks do wear out quicker with lowering springs than stock springs
Old 04-01-11, 06:49 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

The shorter spring puts more strain on the shock
Old 04-01-11, 09:57 AM
BennyD
Rookie

DROP IT!!!!!! kinds looks like a Dunk!!!
Old 04-01-11, 10:46 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

^^^ lol "donk" bro!!
Old 04-01-11, 10:48 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

like nike air dunks?
Old 04-01-11, 01:05 PM
blacksc
Pole Position

ive got the same wheels on teins. i wish they were more agressive
Old 04-01-11, 05:32 PM
supags
Driver

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice..well worth it.
Old 04-02-11, 03:31 AM
Jiggaman54
Rookie

Originally Posted by supermoney
jigga.. what size tires are you running? offset? staggered?
right now i have offset 245/35/20, i got the bigger tire because I'm currently stationed in Bahrain and the roads are **** here. I found a deal a set of 245/30 here so i want to take advantage, and as lower as well. I've seen other post on AWD being lowered and they were having vibration problems, is it really that bad?
Old 07-07-11, 05:40 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Are you still in Bahrain? We should meet up! I wanna see your setup!
Old 07-07-11, 11:48 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If done right the drop should work fine.
Old 07-07-11, 12:22 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
If done right the drop should work fine.
not if you have awd
Old 07-07-11, 02:00 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not a fan of those wheels but don't mind all of the kids that hate on anybody with stock ride height. Be different and keep it nice and high. Stock ride height is the best! ... For driving anyway. :P

Curbs, snow banks, potholes and buckets on the road are no match for the mighty factory stance.

Quick Reply: '06 GS300 on 20" Status Kinghts