GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Potential Ballast Failure? Already??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 08:44 PM
masterchri
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LB23
That has happened to me before, with the xenons.
One on, the other off. Now it doesn`t happen.
Moisture inside the headlight as well., the left one.
Now the left foglight doesn`t turn on.
First the right one had the problem, turns out some wire was loose.
wow moisture in your headlight? i hope i don't run into that issue.. i had a foglight go out on me like a month ago and got new ones and ever since then, both sides have been fine.. but only recently have i had the driver side headlight act up.. im thinking im gonna check the connection on it. Perhaps it might be loose like you said.
Old 10-02-10, 08:53 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by masterchri
wow moisture in your headlight? i hope i don't run into that issue...
most people get moisture inside the headlight. it's almost inevitable except in the driest environments. the housing is not 100% sealed.
Old 10-04-10, 07:19 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

for the people with the bulb problem, have you tried swapping the bulbs? also check to make sure everything is plugged in tightly. changing the ballast is not hard, i had to do my drivers side one. you will need to remove your front bumper in order to remove the headlight. once the headlight is out, the ballast is not hard to remove. i dont know if this piece is only on the headlights with AFS but this piece has to be removed in order to change the ballast, make sure when putting it back in, you line it back up to the number it was on when you remove it. the piece is cirlced in red.

without doing so, you will not be able to remove the end of the ballast the plugs to the bulb.
Old 10-04-10, 07:31 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ awesome shots. Any pics? Maybe larger shot and closer shots?

I've always wanted to remove my headlight and do some tinkering.
Old 10-04-10, 07:59 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

larger shot of what? thats just a generic pic i pulled off google. i have a couple spare headlights laying around the house that i can snap pics of whatever you like.
Old 10-04-10, 08:24 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

What is that square hole on top of the headlight in that pic?

I am curious how I can easily get access to the lens inside the headlight. I want to clean it without removing the headlight.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-10, 08:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

that pic is a headlight flipped upside down. the hole on top is the bottom of the headlight and the hole is where the ballast fits. you might be able to pop the lense off but you need to remove the bumper. im not sure if theres a way to remove the lense as i never looked into it but taking the headlight out would make it much easier. once the bumper is off, its only 3 more bolts holding the light in.
Old 10-04-10, 08:55 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Where are those bolts if U don't mine showing me?

Thanks. I've taken the bumper off before when I install my HID fog.
Old 10-04-10, 09:14 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

well that picure is no good for showing the bolts but their pretty obvious once the rad shield is off there are 2 on top which i circled in red and once the bumper is off, theres one on the side where i have the arrow pointing. the arrow my be off, but its there on the side some where.

Old 10-04-10, 09:18 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Thanks IXI187IXI.
Old 10-05-10, 03:14 AM
masterchri
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
for the people with the bulb problem, have you tried swapping the bulbs? also check to make sure everything is plugged in tightly. changing the ballast is not hard, i had to do my drivers side one. you will need to remove your front bumper in order to remove the headlight. once the headlight is out, the ballast is not hard to remove. i dont know if this piece is only on the headlights with AFS but this piece has to be removed in order to change the ballast, make sure when putting it back in, you line it back up to the number it was on when you remove it. the piece is cirlced in red.

without doing so, you will not be able to remove the end of the ballast the plugs to the bulb.
I haven't had a chance to take the bulbs out and switch them. I've been so busy with work so definitely next day off I will be doing that. I'm such a noob when it comes to fixing parts of the car. I have to familiarize myself on how to take off the plastic covering and such before I could do anything.

The driver headlight shut off again on me on the way home from work tonight. This time, I tried to turn the headlights off, then back on. Usually it works, but this time the light didn't come back on. So I had to shut off the car, open the door, close the door, start the car, and turn the lights back on and then it came on... strange huh?
Old 10-05-10, 08:17 PM
greenTea
Driver School Candidate

This issue has been happening to me for the last 3 months. I need to get this fixed ASAP coz this is just a reason why I got pulled over for no reason. Its so bad now...once in awhile both lights go out on me.

GokoU, were you able to correct this issue? Was it the ballast or your bulbs?
Old 10-05-10, 09:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

sounds like a common problem.

i saw a 2008+ GS yesterday in my neighborhood with the same problem during cloudy daytime. driver side light blown out.
My 2007 doesn't have this problem, but I don't drive at night, and i don't leave it on auto mode, so who knows if I might get it eventually.

everyone should lodge complaints at lexus and the NHTSA.
I'm serious. Another recall won't hurt. This wouldn't be the first time a car mfgr recalled a car for headlights.
maybe get it to recall status so that we can have free fixes for life, cuz this crap is gonna cost and arm and leg if you need headlight replacements after warranty is over.

random blowouts of headlight at night = safety issue, esp the driver's side.

a 2008-09 GS shouldn't be getting blown lights this soon, right?

Last edited by dunnojack; 10-05-10 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-13-10, 09:16 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masterchri
The driver headlight shut off again on me on the way home from work tonight. This time, I tried to turn the headlights off, then back on. Usually it works, but this time the light didn't come back on. So I had to shut off the car, open the door, close the door, start the car, and turn the lights back on and then it came on... strange huh?
Same issue with me the past 2 nights. I had to shut off the light and turn it on or turn the engine back on. Weird. I hope it is not the ballast....
Old 10-14-10, 03:18 AM
masterchri
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vietdeluxx
Same issue with me the past 2 nights. I had to shut off the light and turn it on or turn the engine back on. Weird. I hope it is not the ballast....
Yeah happened again to me after 15 minutes of driving at night.. but this time i turned my lights off, then back on, and the driver side light still didnt come back on. drove back home from work hoping I wasn't gonna get pulled.. got home fine, tried to turn off my lights, and fogs and then it finally turned back on.. weird.. sucks Im having this problem so early in the life of the car. Its an 08 and I only have 12,xxx miles on it too..

Quick Reply: Potential Ballast Failure? Already??