GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 09:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It was 110 degrees today while on the way home. I floored the car going up hill and remembered the recall and cut the power right before 5k rpm came around. I am pretty sure the cars are safe, but why push it
Old 07-08-10, 10:13 PM
riboflavin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Yo B2, if you signed up for Lexus Owners on Lexus' website, you should have a VIN on the site. I didn't have to check my 3GS because mine's there.
Yeah I realized I could see my VIN on the website right after I posted so I went on and checked.

and...... my 08 is on the list as I expected.
Old 07-08-10, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Paranoia. If there was no recall the failure rate wouldn't change. Its sad we have to get this done but the facts are the failure rate is quite low.

I refuse to drive my car any differently. When I take it in I will let yall know.
Old 07-08-10, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Paranoia. If there was no recall the failure rate wouldn't change. Its sad we have to get this done but the facts are the failure rate is quite low.

I refuse to drive my car any differently. When I take it in I will let yall know.
i am completely with you mike. i don't think twice about driving my car, and i won't pamper the car at all just coz' it's on the recall list. if it stalls, it's going to stall, and lexus will fix it, no big deal. i figure if i am paying for the car already, i am not going to compromise how much fun i am getting out of it
Old 07-08-10, 11:51 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances are very very slim of it happening, so drive the way u usually would. Hey u always get a free tow truck worse case scenario.
Old 07-09-10, 06:24 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am completely with you mike. i don't think twice about driving my car, and i won't pamper the car at all just coz' it's on the recall list. if it stalls, it's going to stall, and lexus will fix it, no big deal. i figure if i am paying for the car already, i am not going to compromise how much fun i am getting out of it
X3. I am going to drive my car like the high performance automobile it is. I have no concern that it will fail and if it does I know Lexus will fix it.

I think we are lucky that Toyota is so quality focused after their recent troubles that they are taking care of this proactively. With a 0.2percent failure rate it is the kind of thing companies like BMW would sweep under the carpet and handle under warranty.
Old 07-09-10, 08:44 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by batman75
X3. I am going to drive my car like the high performance automobile it is. I have no concern that it will fail and if it does I know Lexus will fix it.
GS is a high performance car? I don't think so. Lexus may market it as such (you drank the Kool-Aid) but a GS doesn't ride or handle like a hi-performance car. It's an LS in a different coat with fewer pockets.
Old 07-09-10, 10:45 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bushwack
GS is a high performance car? I don't think so. Lexus may market it as such (you drank the Kool-Aid) but a GS doesn't ride or handle like a hi-performance car. It's an LS in a different coat with fewer pockets.
Don't get caught up in semantics. That isn't Bat's point at all, and you're drifting off-topic. Besides, the GS is unarguably more hi-performance than the vast, vast majority of other cars on the road.

I agree with the notion that to drive (or avoid driving) like we are sitting on time bombs or something is ridiculous. Is it possible that you might break a spring in the next few weeks? Sure. But it's no more likely now than it has been for the past several years. Further, it's probably a lot less likely than a similar failure occurring if you were driving a non-Lexus vehicle (especially a "hi-performance" one).

It makes sense to avoid or guard against potential hazards ... but I don't think it's reasonable to take radical precautions against something so unlikely. To me, the cost in enjoyment and convenience exceeds the benefit of being safe from the inconvenience caused by the possibility of a spring breaking. I probably wouldn't drive across country until I get new springs, but I'm certainly not going to alter my daily driving habits either.
Old 07-09-10, 12:27 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we are lucky that Toyota is so quality focused after their recent troubles that they are taking care of this proactively. With a 0.2percent failure rate it is the kind of thing companies like BMW would sweep under the carpet and handle under warranty.
Anything swept under the carpet by any manufacturer has a tendency to see the light of day. As Toyota is under investigation by the NHTSA, DOJ, etc., they cannot afford to sweep anything under the carpet - regardless of their intentions otherwise. I think the above statement gives them a bit too much credit, as their historical data shows otherwise (see the info: on prior EPA fines for self certification of vehicles on emissions that didn't meet the requirements). I am not flaming your comments, but I don't agree that Toyota is voluntarily doing the honest thing. They are doing what they feel they must to protect their reputation, they are, after all, still a public company.

If you look at the materials used in the GS interiors, after all, they are terrible... if Toyota was so quality focused, they would fix, after 3-4 years of manufacturing, the problems in the interiors, with the windshields, glass delamination, leather, etc.

Lee
Old 07-09-10, 12:55 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAK 500
To me, the cost in enjoyment and convenience exceeds the benefit of being safe from the inconvenience caused by the possibility of a spring breaking. I probably wouldn't drive across country until I get new springs, but I'm certainly not going to alter my daily driving habits either.
I can't agree more! That is what warranties are for right? Enjoy your car while you have it and don't worry about the potential "what ifs"?
Old 07-09-10, 01:04 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
If you look at the materials used in the GS interiors, after all, they are terrible... if Toyota was so quality focused, they would fix, after 3-4 years of manufacturing, the problems in the interiors, with the windshields, glass delamination, leather, etc.
design flaws that are not safety related will not get the same treatment as safety recalls. i assume they will probably note the flaws and make it better for the next generation model (or maybe not). to fix every little non-safety related flaw would be too expensive (there would be no profit for lexus to do this).
Old 07-09-10, 03:01 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm wondering...... will the thicker springs affect mpg negatively?

and i also noticed that the springs are cast metal. Do other auto makers use cast metal? or are they forged (if there is such a thing)?

thankfully there are thousands of IS350 in socal they can practice on.
Old 07-09-10, 03:50 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bushwack
You are partially correct. Your GS is not a high performance car. But my GS, a GS460 with Active Sport Suspension and Max Performance tires is a high performance car.

I think any car that can pull over 0.91 G, do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and has a top speed electronically limited to 150mph is a high performance car.
Old 07-09-10, 03:57 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You are partially correct. Your GS is not a high performance car. But my GS, a GS460 with Active Sport Suspension and Max Performance tires is a high performance car.

I think any car that can pull over 0.91 G, do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and has a top speed electronically limited to 150mph is a high performance car.
that means my GS450h is a high performance car too! i also have AVS, high performance tires, and i can do 0-60 in 5.2 sec. thx batman, you've made my day!
Old 07-09-10, 06:40 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormforge
that means my GS450h is a high performance car too! i also have AVS, high performance tires, and i can do 0-60 in 5.2 sec. thx batman, you've made my day!
Yep. Your car is a high performance sports sedan too.

Quick Reply: 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)