GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Ticking/Clicking Noise from front passenger wheel when turning left?

Old 06-24-10, 01:08 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ticking/Clicking Noise from front passenger wheel when turning. [Was wheel bearings.]

I posted in this thread originally:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...the-right.html

But today I had my wife drive the car and take some slow left turns while I listened so I could get a better idea about what the sound was and where it was coming from. From inside the garage and in the car, it sounded like it was coming from the rear but I now know it's coming from the front passenger wheel and it is not a "grinding" sound at all, it's more of a tick-tick-tick/click-click-click sound.

Applying brakes doesn't change the frequency or quality of the sound, but speed does. The faster the wheel turns, the frequencly of the ticking increases. It doesn't appear to tick/click only once per revolution, it clicks a number of times throughout the rotation and at some points during the rotation it clicks more often than others. Like, tick.... tick... tickticktick...tick...

When going straight there is no noise, turning right, it sometimes might click once or something but it doesn't really happen turning the other way. I've looked at the dust shield around and even tried bending it back a little bit in case it was making contact when I thought it was more of a grind but nothing looks out of place and nothing has been done to the wheel recently other than putting new rims on a couple of months ago.

So, thoughts? Wheel bearing? I thought a bad wheel bearing would make noise no matter what direction you're going and pretty much constantly. CV? I thought CV ticking usually only happens at full lock but it ticks even on not so severe turning. Fender liner doesn't appear to be touching the tire, and the car isn't dropped and is AWD so there's plenty of clearance.

So, is this a trip to the dealer? I'm only under powertrain... not sure if something is up if it would be covered. I think wheel bearings are, but not sure about other suspension parts that might cause this.

Speculation appreciated!

Last edited by BinaryJay; 06-30-10 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 05:33 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this isn't like a metal dragging over pavement kind of scraping noise is it? because that's what i've been hearing from my car when i make tight right turns and put some stress on the left wheel. trying to diagnose my problem too.
Old 06-25-10, 08:27 PM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Speculation appreciated!
You mention new wheels, could it be the wheel weights used for balancing the wheels? Could they be making contact with the brake dust shield or caliper?
Old 06-25-10, 09:07 PM
okc329
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about ...

lug bolts being just a little too long and hitting something ?
Old 06-26-10, 01:08 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the tire to see for a screw,nail, or a rock stuck on you're tire. Usually they are known to make that noise. If everything looks clean and good then i would only assume its an axle. Could also be a ball joint, but rarely. I suggest taking it into a independed shop so lexus won't quote you out the wazzoooo.
Old 06-27-10, 12:23 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by gridlock13
this isn't like a metal dragging over pavement kind of scraping noise is it? because that's what i've been hearing from my car when i make tight right turns and put some stress on the left wheel. trying to diagnose my problem too.
Not really. More of a clicking/popping sound. Like if you were to sharply hit some thin piece of metal with a another piece of metal. A little similar to those "cooling down" metal contraction noises from the underside of cars?
Old 06-28-10, 09:22 AM
BinaryJay

Sound seems to be getting worse... it's almost like a ratcheting sound when turning left. Getting kind of nervous to even drive it now and my service manager isn't calling me back.
Old 06-30-10, 02:20 PM
BinaryJay

Got a call back about this. Lexus says it's the wheel bearing, and it's covered under PT warranty and they're going to repair it. Wonder if the other side is ready to go soon too? I'm going to ask if they checked it out because it seems that they tend to die in pairs.
Old 06-30-10, 02:54 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

What's a PT warranty?
Old 06-30-10, 05:49 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by msgs350
What's a PT warranty?
Power Train.
Old 07-02-10, 07:29 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good you got a handle on it so quick, I was thinking it might have been your axles, this usually happens from hard steering the boots tend to rip the grease in there slips out dirt and road grime get inthere and just causes all kinds of havoc in there
Old 07-02-10, 11:21 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
good you got a handle on it so quick, I was thinking it might have been your axles, this usually happens from hard steering the boots tend to rip the grease in there slips out dirt and road grime get inthere and just causes all kinds of havoc in there
I still think it might be something else. I won't be totally surprised if after they replace the bearings the noise is still there and they'll have to try again. We'll see what happens.
Old 07-04-10, 02:57 PM
chauss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a wheel bearing to me- like mr3gs300 said...if you get a tear in the boot cover and dirt gets in it wears stuff out quickly!
Old 07-04-10, 03:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the same issue and it just kinda went away on its own. I took it in and they said it wasnt the bearing. If it comes back I will mention it to them
Old 07-04-10, 03:12 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I also have something similiar. Does not happen very often and only when Im backing up and applying the brakes, I hear a *click* sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking/Clicking Noise from front passenger wheel when turning left?