GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car Video Recorder

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 02:19 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
But seriously, I don't like the idea of cameras everywhere. I guess it is inevitable though.
Better to have cameras everywhere than traffic cops everywhere.
Old 06-07-10, 05:50 PM
minnister
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
Cool. With a proper mounting system (non suction cups), I could see it being incredibly popular in SCCA or amateur racing to go back and review lines, braking, etc. Basic, cheap telemetry.
I installed this over the weekend and it's definitely no suction cup. It's a 3M double sided gel type of tape and once you put it on, it's hard to take it off. First time when I installed it, i missed the spot and had to use an old credit card to scrap it off and it still wouldn't come off.

They also have a cable where you can directly connect the power cable through a fused line. That wasn't included in my box, but i head its available.

Still waiting for more info from my friend...
Old 06-07-10, 05:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool. On the way to work the other day I saw a guy in an S2000 with a recorder mounted on the top of the windshield. This would be cool to record yourself on the track or just a mountain drive
Old 06-07-10, 06:44 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by minnister
I installed this over the weekend and it's definitely no suction cup. It's a 3M double sided gel type of tape and once you put it on, it's hard to take it off. First time when I installed it, i missed the spot and had to use an old credit card to scrap it off and it still wouldn't come off.

They also have a cable where you can directly connect the power cable through a fused line. That wasn't included in my box, but i head its available.

Still waiting for more info from my friend...
that's good. I did a quick check of SCCA stock class rules and it looks like they'd be permitted as long as they are not providing useful info to the driver during the run.

Data acquisition systems (including video cameras) and the accom- panying sensors are allowed but may serve no purpose during the run other than real-time display and data recording.
I bet you could sell a ton of these at track days, especially if you had a laptop setup to demo the playback and data aspect.
Old 06-07-10, 07:22 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[B]I recently installed a car video recorder because a while back someone cut me off and clipped my car and took off.
The picture is pretty clear, but even after you stopped right behind the vehicle infront of you in traffic, I still can't make out its plate. What good would this do as far as catching the guy? It'd be cool for a joy ride on some mountainous roads, or tracking like others have posted, but I don't think it'll help you much with catching the guy. Your best bet is to step on it, and go after him. I know I wouldn't have let him get away. Good luck.
Old 06-07-10, 08:43 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
The picture is pretty clear, but even after you stopped right behind the vehicle infront of you in traffic, I still can't make out its plate. What good would this do as far as catching the guy? It'd be cool for a joy ride on some mountainous roads, or tracking like others have posted, but I don't think it'll help you much with catching the guy. Your best bet is to step on it, and go after him. I know I wouldn't have let him get away. Good luck.
agreed, the whole point of having this product would be to clearly identify the subject vehicle. if you can't see the plate, you can't prove the subject vehicle is the one at fault unless it has obvious identifiable markings.
Old 06-08-10, 09:34 AM
minnister
Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
agreed, the whole point of having this product would be to clearly identify the subject vehicle. if you can't see the plate, you can't prove the subject vehicle is the one at fault unless it has obvious identifiable markings.
I agree with the the clearness of the images, but this unit has audio feature, so instead of trying to memorize the plate number or even jot it on a notepad, you can just yell out the license plate number. I'm sure the cops can match the car with the plate.
Old 06-08-10, 09:55 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the the clearness of the images, but this unit has audio feature, so instead of trying to memorize the plate number or even jot it on a notepad, you can just yell out the license plate number. I'm sure the cops can match the car with the plate.
i do not know if saying out loud the license plate number would hold up in the court of law (which i assume would be used as evidence). but one thing for sure is not everyone is going to remember to say this out loud, because something can happen very fast and you may not have time or react fast enough to read off the plate number. but this recorder is better than nothing at all.
Old 06-08-10, 10:10 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i do not know if saying out loud the license plate number would hold up in the court of law (which i assume would be used as evidence). but one thing for sure is not everyone is going to remember to say this out loud, because something can happen very fast and you may not have time or react fast enough to read off the plate number. but this recorder is better than nothing at all.
Just chase the bastard down, and shown him your own interpretation of the law.
Old 06-08-10, 10:45 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
Just chase the bastard down, and shown him your own interpretation of the law.
I agree with this.
Old 06-08-10, 12:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
that's good. I did a quick check of SCCA stock class rules and it looks like they'd be permitted as long as they are not providing useful info to the driver during the run.

I bet you could sell a ton of these at track days, especially if you had a laptop setup to demo the playback and data aspect.
There are a bunch of much more sophisticated and specialized devices that capture the data that the track guys need already on the market.

I think this device looks very cool for street use, and maybe even capturing some spirited driving in closed conditions but for track use all those extra sensors make the data much more useful. Even in my wife's fairly simple system (compared to the higher end stuff like Stack) she's got GPS location w/ 2 axis accelerometer, steering angle, water temp, oil pressure, brake pressure, RPM, speed, battery voltage, air/fuel ratio, fuel pressure. Hers is a Racepak G2x. Can overlay all that data on video from any source w/ different graphic dashboards (here is an older example from her car)

Sorry for the off topic
Old 06-13-10, 05:00 PM
YYABC
Driver School Candidate

It is illegal to mount GPS on the windshield. Looks like this is also illegal as well.
Old 06-17-10, 01:16 PM
minnister
Driver

Good Question. I actually had the same question before I installed this device. I doubt this would be illegal unless it's blocking your view. The way I have this positioned, only 0.5 inch of the bottom will stick out below the review mirror.

I've been tied up with few things, but as soon as I have some time, I'm post new pictures.
Old 06-30-10, 04:14 PM
minnister
Driver

What do you think about the cleaner cabling?
Old 11-10-15, 10:31 AM
xotyn4ik
Driver School Candidate

I just installed Spy Tec K1S Dual Car Dash Camera , very good quality of video and you can see very easy license plates of other cars near you.

Also here is link of video about this product: