GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

V1 Detector Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 10:50 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default V1 Detector Mount

Finally got tired of having the V1 up above the mirror - blocked the ability to use the visor as well as caused some Laser falses due to the proximity to the rain sensor. Not having to worry about suction cups in the heat from now on is a nice bonus. I wasn't up for spending the coin to do a trick mirror install like batman75 did, so I started looking for other mounting options.

I settled on the Super-Z mount from Country Joy as it offered the most flexible mounting and would allow me to tuck the detector up close to the bottom edge of the mirror. Ordered Sat and it arrived on Monday. Installation was maybe 10 min making sure clearance and alignment were dialed in. Great product and great service in getting it delivered so quickly.

I was able to pull some extra wire from the current location and will probably clean up the wiring run behind the mirror after I get the car back from tinting.

Old 05-24-10, 12:19 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that looks like you have a robot up there. The front looks good but from the sides and back it looks crazy. thanks for sharing though.
Old 05-24-10, 12:32 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's more easier to have it "spotted" by thieves and such in that location.
Old 05-24-10, 02:13 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are mixed views on this in the radar detector community but I think it is good. Also while it is in plain sight, thieves typically won't notice it. Thieves walk through parking lots and look for suction cups and cigarette lighter cords. They don't spend enough time on any one car to notice what is inside. So your setup will go undetected by thieves.

The reason the radar community is mixed opinion on this is because (i) It's very visible to a police officer because it is lower down than when you have it up by the visor, and (ii) technically the higher the better the reception. I personally think that with a quality device like the V1 this second point is bogus.

Old 05-24-10, 02:29 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
There are mixed views on this in the radar detector community but I think it is good. Also while it is in plain sight, thieves typically won't notice it. Thieves walk through parking lots and look for suction cups and cigarette lighter cords. They don't spend enough time on any one car to notice what is inside. So your setup will go undetected by thieves.

The reason the radar community is mixed opinion on this is because (i) It's very visible to a police officer because it is lower down than when you have it up by the visor, and (ii) technically the higher the better the reception. I personally think that with a quality device like the V1 this second point is bogus.

Agree and not terribly worried about thieves. It's rare I'm parked somewhere other than my garage or another secured area. When I am, it's 5 seconds to remove it and drop it in the console.

I liked having it up higher, but at that height, it didn't have a clear line of sight rearward as it was at the absolute top of the windshield. Definitely agree on the police aspect, but hopefully once I have a light tint, I may have some time to pull it down if stopped without it being as obvious. I'll see how reception is in a few test spots where I know it goes off to see if I notice any difference in coverage.

Without cost consideration, your setup is clearly the way to go and one day I'd love to do something as comprehensive and stealth.