GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ML AUDIO subwoofer upgrade for 2006 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 11:24 AM
shahzad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ML AUDIO subwoofer upgrade for 2006 GS300

Hey guys I read a lot of the post for the sub woofer upgrade but I have one quick question

I have the ML package and was going to replace my factory sub woofer with the KICKER C10 is there anything I need to know about the crossovers. is there any type of cross overs any suggest? due to the fact that I will be using a different amp to power the sub woofer I love my factory radio just need that extra thump with out frying my system

please leave me any feed back that I can use! -SHEZ
Old 05-18-10, 11:58 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the ML amp has built in crossovers. you should have no worries if you choose to use an aftermarket amp, or if you choose to use the stock ML (though the ohm load is different, so you will have issues in that regard). i would advise using an aftermarket amp, with a LOC. you can pick one up for 20 bucks or so. crossover points will stay the same, you just need the correct wires from the sub plug. just make sure you identify the positive and negative correctly.
Old 05-18-10, 12:12 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you use an amp such as the Kicker, you don't even need the LOC, as it accepts speaker level signals directly. The link in my sig explain my install of such an amp. And it sounded good enough that I kept the original sub driver (the main sound quality problem was the tuning, not the driver) --but you can of course go ahead and change it, too, if you prefer.
Old 05-18-10, 08:39 PM
shahzad
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the feed back, drexlex that set up looks nice, but I need a little more bass, I'm pleased with the quality, I'm going to do the C10 drop sub set up, and throw a little amp on there. See how that will work, I'll let you guys know how that goes
Old 05-19-10, 03:46 PM
shahzad
Driver School Candidate

anyone suggest if I should make a custom small enclosed box for that kicker I'm going to install tomorrow? for sound preference?
Old 05-19-10, 11:55 PM
daudi81
Rookie

I just replaced my ML subwoofer a couple months ago with a single IDQ 12", with a wedged box up against the back seats in the trunk. You definitely want to get an amp. The ML amp is the main problem with the lack of bass.

If you were to do one or the other (amp vs sub), I would give the ML sub a dedicated amp before replacing it. It actually sounds quite a bit better once more power is given to it. It really stunned me to think Lexus spent a lot of money developing this ML system, and overlooked such a simple step to send more power to the sub - it really makes a noticeable difference. Any decent branded $100-$300 sub amp is going to be leaps and bounds better than the ML amp.

Once you do that, and you still want more bass you can always throw a halfway decent sub in there. Just be prepared to fix some new rattles the extra bass will introduce.
Old 05-20-10, 02:23 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daudi81
I just replaced my ML subwoofer a couple months ago with a single IDQ 12", with a wedged box up against the back seats in the trunk. You definitely want to get an amp. The ML amp is the main problem with the lack of bass.

If you were to do one or the other (amp vs sub), I would give the ML sub a dedicated amp before replacing it. It actually sounds quite a bit better once more power is given to it. It really stunned me to think Lexus spent a lot of money developing this ML system, and overlooked such a simple step to send more power to the sub - it really makes a noticeable difference. Any decent branded $100-$300 sub amp is going to be leaps and bounds better than the ML amp.
I suspect with 11 channels of amplification (330W total) in the box with the DSP, there's plenty of heat being generated without expending even more on the sub.

I agree there's multifold benefits to going with an external amp--offloading the sub burden from the main unit being one of them. And aside from stronger drive capability, the tuning flexibility it affords is really useful in improving the bass quality. Of course that will depend on the capabilities of the particular amp one uses, so I would choose carefully.
Old 05-21-10, 11:13 PM
shahzad
Driver School Candidate

Well just got it done, not very pleased on it how sounds, I was expecting more of a thump, worst part is the sub is hitting my deck so I have to cut the deck now, I know you can't get that much thumb out of a free air sub, It does sound nice, but I have to fix my deck, to find out the real quality of the sub.
Old 05-22-10, 11:40 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

take some pics for the rest when you get in there so we can see what needs to be done and what options some may have.
Old 05-22-10, 11:24 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shahzad
Well just got it done, not very pleased on it how sounds, I was expecting more of a thump, worst part is the sub is hitting my deck so I have to cut the deck now, I know you can't get that much thumb out of a free air sub, It does sound nice, but I have to fix my deck, to find out the real quality of the sub.
Cutting the deck sounds like a job and half. Wouldn't an extender like this fix the problem?
Old 05-28-10, 07:56 PM
shahzad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Cutting the deck sounds like a job and half. Wouldn't an extender like this fix the problem?

Hey DrexLex, My ML radio after the sub install mutes for a good 5 sec, and turns back on the only thing that solves the problem is when the volume is low, do you know what might be causing the problem?

-There's two things that I can do to solve the problem, a tricky box

-Or mount the sub lower then where it is

any 2cents from anyone?
Old 05-29-10, 06:17 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

did you just wire the sub to your ML amp? if so I suggest an aftermarket amp. your ML amp was not designed to push your new sub and it may be fighting for power from your amp.

I would suggest the 4080 box.
Old 05-30-10, 09:08 PM
shahzad
Driver School Candidate

I do have a little amp hooked up to do to my amp any other reason that can cause this problem
Old 05-31-10, 06:28 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ What do you mean by a little amp? How many watts is your AMP in mono mode and what does your sub require to be feed continuous?

I still think something is fighting for power. If it works fine when you have it turned down this would make sense as you raise the volume your pulling more from the amps and the speakers are then fighting for power. May also be an ohm issue depending on how you wired it up? Been a while since I played with car stereo stuff...
Old 05-31-10, 02:12 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shahzad
I do have a little amp hooked up to do to my amp any other reason that can cause this problem
Diagnosing a problem over the internet is tricky at best. The more information you can provide, the better we can help. Tell us about the new driver, the new amp, how you connected to the amp's input, where you tapped the power, how you did the amp's remote turn on function.

Quick Reply: ML AUDIO subwoofer upgrade for 2006 GS300