GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Well I drove a 2011 535 and a 2010 GS 350 on a course....comparison inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 10:25 AM
LexFather

Post Well I drove a 2011 535 and a 2010 GS 350 on a course....comparison inside

The entire review is here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...0-pics-up.html

For this thread I will focus on the GS vs new 5 as there was also an E-class there.

As you know I also drove the Infiniti M56 a few weeks ago as I was anticipating that drive although the car underwhelmed me. So when I got a call to try out the 5, another car I was anticipating, I jumped on it. What was surprising was they had an E-class and GS to compare it too.

BMW specifically picked the E-class and GS to compare as BMW feels those are the other top 2 vehicles in the segment.
They never talked bad about them and stated we would notice the differences.

The GS was new, even had plastic on some places and was a 350. NO AVS, though they stated it had it.

The 5 series I drove was a 535 which is a 300 hp/torque now single turbo car. It was NOT a sport equipped model.

We got to drive the cars back to back on a small autocross course with some small turns, larger ones and a small straight away. I will also explain interior/trunk differences etc.

Before I begin let me say the new 5 series and BMW in general really left a positive impression and I really like it.
Whereas the M56 left me feeling blah the 5 series left me wanting more.

Exteriors-

The GS has been around 5+ years now and you simply cannot tell. Seeing Jag XF's and G37s with similar shapes/wheels lets me know the GS is a car to copy and a looker. It simply holds its own with the Germans here with the main fuss being the chrome grill design. It still looks taunt, athletic and luxurious. The paint glimmers and fit and finish is outstanding. The GS is a few inches shorter, thinner and not as tall. It is the smaller car and I LOVE the GS size. Not sure I want a bigger car.

The 5 exterior looks fantastic as well and to simplify, a merged 3/7. To me no bad thing, I have no issues with BMWs looking similar IF THEY LOOK GOOD. The new 5 looks good. From the rear and the sides it keeps an updated similar BMW profile. The 535s had smaller wheels and chrome trim, the 550 with the 19s and sport trim looked better. Up front things get fussy with the headlights, grill, lower bumper. Not terrible but not great.

Overall I really like both exteriors of both cars. In comparison the E-class looked like a car that debuted 20 years ago and the M37/56 looks like they tried but failed especially with the 18s.

Interiors

Everyone agreed the GS looked the best, was the easiest to use and was just graceful. Not bad for an old car! Fit and finish is great and textures feel great as well. You don't notice the hard dash plastic until you touch it. It is much more coupe-like than the 5 series and feels much smaller inside. That said it is simply the easier place to be and learn.

The 5 series interior is noticeably larger in every way front and rear. The materials are fantastic and it feels like a more expensive car. It looks like an E39 interior but with updates. I really liked it. The rear seat is much larger than the GS and shoulder room, head room was much more apparent. Also the 5 sunroof was maybe 1/3 larger than the GS to let more air in.

In comparison the E-class interior had great materials as well but was boxy and very 1980s in design. The M37/56 is the total opposite, great materials, all curves where it makes you dizzy. All interiors are fantastic in build with the GS slightly behind to me than the others.

Trunk

The 5 series trunk is huge and is like a straight box, much deeper than the GS.

Features

I also got to play with a 550 and the tech inside simply blows the GS inside. Though it is a lot, I mean I don't think I would ever learn/use it all. Side cams, super NAV, you can wirelessly tell the dealer you need service, the computer does EVERYTHING. Base to base model though things are similar. Its all about the BMW options here.

Acceleration

Both brands claim near identical times and in driving they felt pretty identical in acceleration. I much preferred the GS 3.5 V-6 for its smoothness and eagerness. Power is simply abundant and always there.

The 5 series starts off with slight lag then BOOM the turbo kicks in and its very pronounced (maybe b/c these are early cars here, the first in the USA). Once the turbo has its boost it feels very powerful. On the track though the GS was easier to modulate with the gas pedal, sometimes the 5 felt like an on/off switch. I'm sure around town it won't be much of an issue.

In comparison the E-class felt like a slug and the M56 clearly was faster than all of them.

Handling
I want to note I checked the GS tires after driving it and well they had none, pretty worn. The 5 tires were in great condition. More tires were to come but they never did. Still the differences were very noticeable.

The GS was the fun, light on its feet partner. The engine just blasts it around and the steering is lighter than the 5 and the wood wheel gives less feedback. The front end felt light and the car plowed ahead to me. The brakes were powerful but the feel felt "cold" and mechanical. However the GS simply felt the lightest on its feet which was fun and it is the smaller car so it felt smaller.

In comparison the 5 (mind you this is not a sport pack) felt more balanced but it did feel bigger, can't hide the weight and girth. The 5 series has a nice leather wheel and steers better without feeling you lost it. That said it was not was weighty or communicative as I would have thought. Maybe it NEEDS the sport pack. The brakes were fantastic, strong and with great feel. Where the GS body roll was more pronounced the 5 series was more balanced. Mind you both have pretty close to 50/50 weight distribution so the 5 is the better handling car here.

In comparison the E-class felt very composed as it was slow, you simply didn't want to drive it hard. The tires felt soft, great brakes. The M56 handles well on the street but the steering felt more Lexus than BMW.

Summary

Well for one kudos to BMW for having this event. Like Lexus they are catering and spending money on enthusiasts in tougher times and it is much appreciated. It also leaves me feeling very fond of both brands and how confident they are in their products. I've been to Benz events before and Infiniti has really dropped the ball on the M37/56 launch, not even taking it to all auto shows.

I truly left feeling the 5 series was a fantastic car and worth the price. It looks great, drives great with more space and tons of optional features. I really liked it when I left. I found myself looking at the 550 over and over (great fit and finish and paint too). There was an E60 530 parked outside and it looked HORRID compared to this. I am confident the new 5 is going to sell in droves.

Now getting past the track I think the GS holds it own here. There is less room and less tech but its just as fast and unless you are taking expansion ramps at 100mph it will handle fine around town. Oddly it didn't look or feel old inside or out and only felt dated when I played with the tech in the 550. The engine is just IMO one of the all time greats. The 5 series and E-class dominate this segment and I don't think the GS will EVER sell like those.
Old 05-10-10, 11:37 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Great read!! Thanks for testing out the competition for us!

Hopefully Lexus won't drop the ball when they re-design the GS. Tighten the steering and lock down the body roll, update the electronics and come out with a "Sport" (GS-F) edition.
Old 05-10-10, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Great read!! Thanks for testing out the competition for us!

Hopefully Lexus won't drop the ball when they re-design the GS. Tighten the steering and lock down the body roll, update the electronics and come out with a "Sport" (GS-F) edition.
Thanks. You reminded me of something i forgot. I really think the GS with the F-sport parts handled superior to them but the steering feel lacked behind. The F-sport GS and M56 really feel similar in steering and the smaller GS dimensions make it feel more confidence inspiring and fun. If you want some more space then the others can provide that.

I really REALLY hope the GS gets a sport kit like the LS sport from the factory.
Old 05-10-10, 02:08 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the comparison. The M is just like an unwanted child. The last gen didn't have much marketing/launch either.
Old 05-10-10, 02:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Thanks for the comparison. The M is just like an unwanted child. The last gen didn't have much marketing/launch either.
It is a nice car but being with a dud of a brand doesn't help.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I really REALLY hope the GS gets a sport kit like the LS sport from the factory.
Lol it is like they heard me. Here are the packages.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/10/l...ode/#continued
Old 05-10-10, 05:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

love the color of that GS. Black Saphire Pearl is pretty rare
Old 05-10-10, 06:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up. It's interesting that the 6 year old GS model fares so well in this comparo.

As a Guy who drove exclusively BMWs since age 21, and only switched to Lexus a year ago, your write up made me nostalgic. On the other hand I am also feeling inspired that if the current GS is so good, the next GS could be a amazing.

I hope the next GS is as inspired as the current one and not just an incremental step.
Old 05-10-10, 06:33 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My BMW 3 Coupe was totalled, and I bought the GS. I really missed my BMW, and was able to buy another 3 Coupe. My resulting perspective is I thoroughly enjoy them both. I enjoy driving the BMW when I'm on roads where the 6-speed and handling capabilities are paramount. The Lexus is ideal as a daily driver,especially where 4 doors are prerferred. Both are premium highway cruisers. I believe as long as I can, I will have both, or their successors. It's the best of both worlds.
Old 05-10-10, 08:01 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm replacing my 2006 GS300 AWD this September with my all new 2011 BMW 535xi sedan. I placed a deposit and got a great deal near invoice and the car will go into build in late June. I am very excited. The reviews have all be very positive and has said the new 5 series is hands down one of the best BMW 5 series in a while.
Old 05-10-10, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acceleration

Both brands claim near identical times and in driving they felt pretty identical in acceleration. I much preferred the GS 3.5 V-6 for its smoothness and eagerness. Power is simply abundant and always there.

The 5 series starts off with slight lag then BOOM the turbo kicks in and its very pronounced (maybe b/c these are early cars here, the first in the USA). Once the turbo has its boost it feels very powerful. On the track though the GS was easier to modulate with the gas pedal, sometimes the 5 felt like an on/off switch. I'm sure around town it won't be much of an issue.

In comparison the E-class felt like a slug and the M56 clearly was faster than all of them.
but the m56 is v8 though, compared to all v6 here?

and yes, i know what you mean by the non-linearity. the same thing happens on 335, it's ok until the turbo kicks in and it jumps out. hard to drive on the track. the exact same problem exists on the isf. i can see how the gs becomes an easier car to drive
Old 05-10-10, 09:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by batman75
Nice write up. It's interesting that the 6 year old GS model fares so well in this comparo.

As a Guy who drove exclusively BMWs since age 21, and only switched to Lexus a year ago, your write up made me nostalgic. On the other hand I am also feeling inspired that if the current GS is so good, the next GS could be a amazing.

I hope the next GS is as inspired as the current one and not just an incremental step.
Its funny but if you read reviews its really just steering that is the key issue as the engines are strong enough. I wish Lexus would send F-sport GSs to comparos.

What makes the BMW great is it comes like that and the sport kit only enhances things surely in the 2011 model. The new 5 is going to be tough to beat!

Originally Posted by Bavaria
My BMW 3 Coupe was totalled, and I bought the GS. I really missed my BMW, and was able to buy another 3 Coupe. My resulting perspective is I thoroughly enjoy them both. I enjoy driving the BMW when I'm on roads where the 6-speed and handling capabilities are paramount. The Lexus is ideal as a daily driver,especially where 4 doors are prerferred. Both are premium highway cruisers. I believe as long as I can, I will have both, or their successors. It's the best of both worlds.
Great summary! Both are great cars and for driving around town they are perfect just about.

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I'm replacing my 2006 GS300 AWD this September with my all new 2011 BMW 535xi sedan. I placed a deposit and got a great deal near invoice and the car will go into build in late June. I am very excited. The reviews have all be very positive and has said the new 5 series is hands down one of the best BMW 5 series in a while.
It really is a great car, congrats! What color did you go with?

Originally Posted by rominl
but the m56 is v8 though, compared to all v6 here?

and yes, i know what you mean by the non-linearity. the same thing happens on 335, it's ok until the turbo kicks in and it jumps out. hard to drive on the track. the exact same problem exists on the isf. i can see how the gs becomes an easier car to drive
Yeah it felt odd b/c it felt like I was in a Supra or Neon Turbo or something the way it kicked in. It wasn't awful but not my preference here.

Yes the M56 was a V-8, didn't test the M37 which I may. If lame Infiniti had a driving event that would help
Old 05-10-10, 09:38 PM
Kendrick07
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great read!
Old 05-10-10, 10:02 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Nice write up.

Pure opinion, but I think the last gen 5 series looked better from the outside. They toned the curves down for this new generation and it loses something.

Chris Bangle's designs were divisive, I know...but I liked them.
Old 05-11-10, 01:23 AM
coreyco
Rookie

How would one get on a list to be invited to these types of comparative drive events?
Old 05-11-10, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

a lot of time it's just by contacts. between manufacturers they actually track a lot of current car owners and what they have, their financial backgrounds, their purchase habits. and with those info they construct the database on who to invite to these events. and sometimes dealerships will get a few allocations as well, and they choose from their customers to send out the invites