GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Amsoil Synthetic vs Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil

Old 04-20-10, 03:34 PM
vik611
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil Synthetic vs Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil

Just wanted to get some opinions/feedback on which oil is better because I was told that Amsoil is better when I spoke to the techs at Bullock City (for those who are familiar with this shop and live in Toronto). Does anyone have any experience using Amsoil full synthetic oil?
Old 04-20-10, 04:23 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've been on an oil learning binge lately and from what i've learned is amsoil is pretty good.

just try it out and do an used oil analysis when you do a change.
Old 04-20-10, 06:34 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

amsoil is one of the first companies to produce synthetic lubricants...

mobil1 is the best marketed synthetic engine lubricant...

this being said, i'd run amsoil if it was more readily available... but toyota dealerships carry mobil1, so it's really a no brainer, for convenience reasons...
Old 04-20-10, 07:25 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by narfy
amsoil is one of the first companies to produce synthetic lubricants...

mobil1 is the best marketed synthetic engine lubricant...

this being said, i'd run amsoil if it was more readily available... but toyota dealerships carry mobil1, so it's really a no brainer, for convenience reasons...
Just a heads up for you, did you check Penzoil in your area.

They carry amsoil 5w 30 synthetic oil....
Old 04-20-10, 07:54 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I went from Mobil 1 to Amsoil and noticed that my car definitely ran smoother. If you're in Toronto, Bullock City uses Amsoil for all synthetic oil changes.

Currently, I'm running Motul (8100 I believe) and the car seems to run a bit better than it did once again, but this just may be a psychological thing for me to justify the price of the stuff. I'd recommend either the Amsoil or Motul.
Old 04-20-10, 09:21 PM
jason60050
Driver

I get my GS serviced at the Lexus dealer and they do not use synthetic in it. I don't think it really makes a difference besides I only keep my car a couple of years so I never put enough miles on it to make a difference anyway.
Old 04-20-10, 09:23 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

mobil 1 syn is a group 3 synthetic and has now become a very bad one at that (used to be good, but cheaped out a year or two ago and now quality is not as good as before)

walmart often has the 4.4L of Pennzoil platinum synth on sale for around $20
it is what i use
it is group 3 but still a very good one at that

Amsoil is one of the best synth oil in the market for consumers
i would say they are head to head with Royal Purple

Last edited by UberNoob; 04-20-10 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 09:27 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What about Castrol Edge?

Last edited by *Batman*; 04-20-10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 09:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Honestly any engine oil is good enough if it's API approved and you have the correct weight. We have 400k miles Corollas running that only saw regular dino all its life.

I choose my oil based on availability and cost. If they are priced the same, I would choose Amsoil because the Mobil 1 oil isn't as synthetic as it gets. If I'm going to pay the price of synthetic, it better be fully synthetic.
Old 04-20-10, 10:40 PM
Bambigular
Rookie

Amsoil is better according to oil analysis. I also belong to club titan and a guy on there swears by Amsoil. He also posted how Amsoil compares to other synthetics, in which Amsoil came out on top. If you maintain your car as scheduled regular oil is fine.
Old 04-20-10, 10:44 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Honestly any engine oil is good enough if it's API approved and you have the correct weight. We have 400k miles Corollas running that only saw regular dino all its life.

I choose my oil based on availability and cost. If they are priced the same, I would choose Amsoil because the Mobil 1 oil isn't as synthetic as it gets. If I'm going to pay the price of synthetic, it better be fully synthetic.
I certainly agree with this statement! I've been content with Mobil 1, however.
Old 04-21-10, 07:01 AM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

I've always used Mobil1 in all of my cars. Does it work better than Amsoil? I don't know. From my perspective there's no way to know, I've just stuck with it. I typically change my oil around 7-8k miles.

I've heard great things about the Royal Purple brand too. I may make a switch this summer
Old 04-21-10, 07:34 AM
3GS404
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cowsgomoo
I've always used Mobil1 in all of my cars. Does it work better than Amsoil? I don't know. From my perspective there's no way to know, I've just stuck with it. I typically change my oil around 7-8k miles.

I've heard great things about the Royal Purple brand too. I may make a switch this summer
Wow 7_8K to do a oil change.. don't u think that's a bit too much?
Old 04-21-10, 08:30 AM
vik611
Rookie

Thanks for the response guys

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
I went from Mobil 1 to Amsoil and noticed that my car definitely ran smoother. If you're in Toronto, Bullock City uses Amsoil for all synthetic oil changes.

Currently, I'm running Motul (8100 I believe) and the car seems to run a bit better than it did once again, but this just may be a psychological thing for me to justify the price of the stuff. I'd recommend either the Amsoil or Motul.
I'm thinkin whether I should even switch to full synthetic oil since Bullock City, is charging substantially less for an oil change using a synthetic blend. Anyone have experience with Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend? I dunno if its really worth me paying more for full synthetic oil...

SC...have you had your oil changed at Bullock City before? Any experience with them...I've only heard good things about them but I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible. I'm rolling by there next week for an oil change and might use them for other services later if they're good...
Old 04-21-10, 08:58 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

SC...have you had your oil changed at Bullock City before? Any experience with them...I've only heard good things about them but I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible. I'm rolling by there next week for an oil change and might use them for other services later if they're good...
I've had my oil changed there before along with a bunch of other maintenance work over the past 2 years. Honest advice, good work, and a low hourly labour rate have made me a repeat customer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amsoil Synthetic vs Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil