GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Consumer reports rating change 2010 GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 04:17 AM
wallyjog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer reports rating change 2010 GS

After reading that the gx was put on do not buy do to roll over issues I noticed that the GS was taken off the recommended list. Thats a shame I love my GS
Old 04-14-10, 05:01 AM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by wallyjog
After reading that the gx was put on do not buy do to roll over issues I noticed that the GS was taken off the recommended list. Thats a shame I love my GS
Other than both cars being Lexus, what does the GX have to do with the GS? Not sure why the rollover risk for a GX would affect your view of the GS.
Old 04-14-10, 09:08 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't. It's probably all the complaining about rattles and such.
Old 04-14-10, 09:21 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't buy anything based on consumers reports anyway. They are outmoded by web forums full of long term real life users of products. It's never more than a few clicks and clacks away from tons of real information about anything you want to buy.
Old 04-14-10, 09:30 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I don't buy anything based on consumers reports anyway. They are outmoded by web forums full of long term real life users of products. It's never more than a few clicks and clacks away from tons of real information about anything you want to buy.
Agreed. There are better sources of real user reviews than CR.
Old 04-14-10, 09:44 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the GS AWD that was taken off. CR never tested the RWD GS. If I recall, they stated there wasn't anything specifically wrong with it. Just that there wasn't anything to recommend going AWD vs RWD.
Old 04-14-10, 10:34 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think JD Powers is a good source because it gives you a statistically valid sense of the frequency of issues. Personally I struggle with using forums as a source of user feedback since there is no valid way of comparing findings across forums. It can tell you the type of issues being encountered, but not the frequency. Forums are good for understanding the types of issues, as is the NHTSA complaints database.
Old 04-14-10, 12:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They took it off the list because of the rattles and noise issues. No surprise. JD power or CR will/should have the same info on our 3GS. Its not a perfect car
Old 04-14-10, 01:27 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bushwack
It's the GS AWD that was taken off. CR never tested the RWD GS. If I recall, they stated there wasn't anything specifically wrong with it. Just that there wasn't anything to recommend going AWD vs RWD.
They don't want to admit their mistake. I wrote a reply to their blog showing how it is impossible for the stereo system for the RWD to be better than average yet the AWD has the very lowest rating. How does the AWD affect the stereo system?
Likewise, power equipment is average on the AWD, yet perfect on the RWD. Same with squeaks/rattles, which are not AWD related (yet AWD is 1 level worse than RWD).

Of course they rejected the comment, yet allowed a flame war to take place about GM vs Ford.

Typical CR...I bought a dishwasher and fridge based on their ratings and I have never purchased worse garbage in my life. I wanted to go back to the landfill and get my appliances from 1993 back
Old 04-14-10, 03:20 PM
wallyjog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DWNYC
Other than both cars being Lexus, what does the GX have to do with the GS? Not sure why the rollover risk for a GX would affect your view of the GS.
the gs was taken off the recommended list as well
Old 04-14-10, 05:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Agreed.

Not to mention, wasn't the GS that CR tested the GS300? I don't recall them testing the 350/460. 450h?
Old 04-14-10, 06:43 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I love lots of things about my GS but the high speed handling is sometimes downright dangerous. It kind of sways and needs lots of steering input. Great looking comfy car but not a driving machine over 65 mph, mine anyway. Gotta find time to bring it back to the dealer.
Old 04-14-10, 07:15 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

ingoodtime,
I've cruised in my GS at 90+ mph, and have exceeded 100 mph when needed to pass a 'crowd' on a wide open interstate. It has always been poised at these speeds, and I feel as confident in it as I do in my '10 BMW. Maybe you have a tire balance/alignment/situation which needs to be addressed.
Old 04-14-10, 08:07 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bavaria
ingoodtime,
I've cruised in my GS at 90+ mph, and have exceeded 100 mph when needed to pass a 'crowd' on a wide open interstate. It has always been poised at these speeds, and I feel as confident in it as I do in my '10 BMW. Maybe you have a tire balance/alignment/situation which needs to be addressed.
I agree. I typically drive 85MPH and have hit 100 passing on snow tires and feel like the car is stable. Now, i don't weave in and out of lanes so can't speak to that at high speed. In any case, it's no BMW but it's also respectable at high speeds in my view.
Old 04-14-10, 08:12 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bah...who really cares. I don't read CR and never bought anything because of their recommendations. All that matters is that I love my car.

Quick Reply: Consumer reports rating change 2010 GS