GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just drove the Infiniti M56S vs. my GS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 07:31 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Honestly speaking I wen't to infiniti dealership today just for the M37 n M56. Once i sat in the car first impression, That bubble steering wheel belongs in a cartoon. No wood on it which is a step down for me in a luxury car. No wood on the door's. The leather seemed pretty cheap to me. So overall from 1 to 10 i would give it like a 5 or a 6 where GS is like a 8 or a 9.
I wish to hell my GS350 did NOT have the wood on the steering wheel (you can't find them in Texas without it). I've only had the car four months and have not even seen summer yet (keep in mind I live in Houston). With temps in the 70s, when I park in the sun I can hardly touch the top of the steering wheel.

Wood on steering wheels is a big step backwards to me compared to leather.
Old 04-14-10, 10:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It took some getting used to. I also feels like it might transmit a touch more higher frequency vibrations through the steering wheel
Old 04-15-10, 09:25 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I wish to hell my GS350 did NOT have the wood on the steering wheel (you can't find them in Texas without it). I've only had the car four months and have not even seen summer yet (keep in mind I live in Houston). With temps in the 70s, when I park in the sun I can hardly touch the top of the steering wheel.

You know you can get a leather wheel with no wood for $650 brand new. It is plug an play - uses your existing air-bag unit.

http://www.mylexparts.com/partlocato...layCatalogid=0

You can sell your old wooden wheel for more than that I'm sure. A new wood wheel runs $1500.
Old 04-16-10, 12:16 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anything the leather steering gets way more hotter and stays hotter then wood. Use a windshield sun blocker when parking in the sun, will also help you're dash,save gas (cooler car). Now with wooden steering i dont miss blisters i use to get from leather steering wheel's. On top of all that everyone is on love with my steering people comment positive about it everyday. When i am touching wood when steering i consider my self in a prestige luxury car.So not sure y u dont like it while comparison between leather and wood, wood is a winner hands down. Even wear and tear would still owns leather.
Old 04-16-10, 07:41 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

If anything the leather steering gets way more hotter and stays hotter then wood. Use a windshield sun blocker when parking in the sun, will also help you're dash,save gas (cooler car). Now with wooden steering i dont miss blisters i use to get from leather steering wheel's. On top of all that everyone is on love with my steering people comment positive about it everyday. When i am touching wood when steering i consider my self in a prestige luxury car.So not sure y u dont like it while comparison between leather and wood, wood is a winner hands down. Even wear and tear would still owns leather.
Plus wood is easier to keep clean. If I just ate a burger and have a little grease on my hands after using the napkins, I will be sure to only hold the wood. That way I can just wipe it clean with the Pledge wipes I keep in my car. Leather would absorb the dirt.
Old 04-16-10, 08:44 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I've lived in Houston for 30 years and have had many cars with leather wheels. I have a Corvette and my wifes CX9 has leather. I don't even remotely agree with you. There is a night and day difference in how much hotter the wheel in my Lexus gets.
Old 04-16-10, 10:22 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

If I hated the wood, I would just change the wheel for a leather one. As posted earlier it is pretty much cost neutral if you ebay your old wheel.

I have no comment on the heat issue since I always park indoors in multi-storey parking garages - at home, at the office, at the mall, at the cinema. Only time I park outside is at restaurants and that is pretty much only at night when heat is less of an issue.
Old 04-16-10, 10:30 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a very simple solution to this problem: use a reflective shield when parked in the sun. I bought one from the Lexus on-line parts store that sponsors this forum - Sewell - for something like $20 after the clublexus discount code (do a search to find the code). It's fitted specifically to the shape of 3GS winndshield / dash.
Old 04-16-10, 11:09 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or...use one of those $10.00 leather wraps for the steering wheel you can pick up at Walmart. It will accentuate your $50,000 automobile.
Old 04-17-10, 06:32 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lived in Houston for 30 years and have had many cars with leather wheels. I have a Corvette and my wifes CX9 has leather. I don't even remotely agree with you. There is a night and day difference in how much hotter the wheel in my Lexus gets.
Leather Wheels? We're those 19"? Were they chromed?