GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just drove the Infiniti M56S vs. my GS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-10, 09:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by batman75
Your perspective is pretty close to mine. I do think the price was high (the one I drove had a 65K sticker). I am expecting though that it will be heavily discounted - some Miami dealers are already offering for 3% over invoice - and I expect even lower prices by the fall.

I also didn't like the exterior. While I thought the ride was very good, the area around the dealer had pretty good roads.
I got in my car thinking I can easily wait for the new GS. I was not blown away by the M56 like I thought I would be. To be honest I grew quite fond of the car recently especially after seeing the "Piano black" interior. Sadly they didn't have one there.

Your exterior observations are on point, they missed the boat and all that "Essence" crap is just that. Crap.

I agree the 20s look great and yes, exterior colors were all dark....I preferred the graphite liquid something...
Old 04-10-10, 09:25 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Despite the negatives, if I was in the market for a car in this class and needed to buy the car this week, the Infiniti M56S is the one I would buy. It's better than the 2010 E550, 2010 GS460 and 2010 550i. I think the 2011 550i and 2012 GS may be be better than the M56S, but the 2010 models are not.
Old 04-10-10, 10:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats hilarious.....I drove an M56 today as well. I stopped by Midway Infiniti today on the way home from work. I thought it was better than the GS by far. The interior quality was very high. I was amazed at how much power this thing had as well as the solid handling (kind of refreshing after driving a Lexus for 3 years). I would have to say they will beat the BMW 5 series with this new M hands down. I love the styling of this new M. Its aggressive and stylish but yet classy. Its the kind of car that will excite you as well as coddle. I love it.

The one I drove the Black Obsidian with the graphite leather with the Japanese ash wood trim. WOW. The 4GS better be good to run with this new M.

PS the 20" wheels offered just throws this thing into the sexy category . Infiniti nailed it !!!!!!!
Old 04-10-10, 10:42 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thats hilarious.....I drove an M56 today as well. I stopped by Midway Infiniti today on the way home from work. I thought it was better than the GS by far. The interior quality was very high. I was amazed at how much power this thing had as well as the solid handling (kind of refreshing after driving a Lexus for 3 years). I would have to say they will beat the BMW 5 series with this new M hands down. I love the styling of this new M. Its aggressive and stylish but yet classy. Its the kind of car that will excite you as well as coddle. I love it.

The one I drove the Black Obsidian with the graphite leather with the Japanese ash wood trim. WOW. The 4GS better be good to run with this new M.

PS the 20" wheels offered just throws this thing into the sexy category . Infiniti nailed it !!!!!!!
I agree, although I do find the shape a bit too curvy and asian looking.

The performance, handling are great. Did you love having the paddles on the steering wheel?

I hope the 4GS is to this what the 3GS was to the M35
Old 04-10-10, 10:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, although I do find the shape a bit too curvy and asian looking.

The performance, handling are great. Did you love having the paddles on the steering wheel?

I hope the 4GS is to this what the 3GS was to the M35
I thought it was awesome. I thought it was great to drive a car that handled that well. I agree it does have a very Japanese design but its still fresh and clean imo ( with the Sport and Aero packages). I have to admit the Ms with out the 20's looked very dull. The wheels make this car look so much nicer. I am sure Lexus will respond with a strong 4GS.....they better.

I thought the AC system was really cool as well. ( no pun intended) The seats were also more bolstered and supportive. FUN FUN FUN to drive
Old 04-11-10, 07:18 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I thought it was awesome. I thought it was great to drive a car that handled that well. I agree it does have a very Japanese design but its still fresh and clean imo ( with the Sport and Aero packages). I have to admit the Ms with out the 20's looked very dull. The wheels make this car look so much nicer. I am sure Lexus will respond with a strong 4GS.....they better.

I thought the AC system was really cool as well. ( no pun intended) The seats were also more bolstered and supportive. FUN FUN FUN to drive
Yeah the seats, the thick steering with paddles, the 20-inch wheels, the curved wrap-around ergonomic dash - it is a vehicle which inspires you to drive. Really quite racy. The model I looked at didn't have the forest air system - was it cool?

Can't wait to see a 4GS at this level. A 4GS with this trim quality, 20-inch wheels and a 420hp hybrid powertrain would rock.
Old 04-11-10, 08:05 AM
LexFather

To me the M56 did handle well but it really didn't wow me like I expected and again if you have driven a F-sport GS or even a GS with APPS it isn't as much of a difference as you would expect. To me one big difference was in the size, the GS is/felt smaller and the M56 is/felt bigger. If you want to toss around 4 adults in a car the M56 size advantage works.

The ride is just rough with the 20s and ruins things for me. You feel everthing in the pavement and every bump, it rode like a 370Z or a highly modified sedan. For a new 70k car I don't think that will be a hit with many people.

I agree with the 20s the car looks better and quite frankly YOU HAVE to get the 20s. The car looks really bad with the stock 18s.

As for the A/C system it worked very well.

I'll be honest Lexus better not screw up the ride in trying to go sporty. For the 95% of my driving I no longer want a very harsh ride and if I do, I will go IS-F.

My main concern is styling and I hope they get it right on the 4GS. Sorry but for 55k for a M37 sport, that is something to consider. 70k for this, sorry, no way.
Old 04-11-10, 08:17 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car seems too expensive starting at 57K. The exterior is pretty "meh" as well
Old 04-11-10, 09:13 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

went to check it out few days ago but it didnt blew me away like others,,,just dont like the body stylin, and the ugly taillights,,,
Old 04-11-10, 09:22 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldnt pay 70k for a datsun :/... i know.. brand perception :P
Old 04-11-10, 11:54 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rider
Yeah Infiniti is regarded as a credible luxury brand in the USA. If I lived in the middle east and had to put up with de-tuned cars that miss key features like courtesy headlight timing, then I might take a look at Infiniti. As far as I know they don't de-tune their cars in any market so you should get the full 420hp.
Old 04-11-10, 12:23 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah Infiniti is regarded as a credible luxury brand in the USA. If I lived in the middle east and had to put up with de-tuned cars that miss key features like courtesy headlight timing, then I might take a look at Infiniti. As far as I know they don't de-tune their cars in any market so you should get the full 420hp.
Actually, some of the Nissan/Infiniti cars in the Middle-East are always rated with more HP than the rest of the world. Many thought that it was just a different measurement out here, but to confirm, few people actually tested the performance of a US spec 350Z and a GCC spec 350Z and ours were always faster.
Old 04-11-10, 07:30 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I had an 06 M45 Sport and loved the car. I look forward to driving the M.

As to the comments about price - I think you guys need to look at the price of BMW 550s, E550s etc. You might not think an Infiniti should cost that much, but the price is not out of line with the competitors. And in that price range, none of them has anywhere near 420 hp - although the new BMW will come close. But it will also cost more. A friend of mine has an 08 550 sport that listed for over 70K and doesn't even come with stuff that we take for granted (like ventilated seats).
Old 04-12-10, 10:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rider
you payed 50-55k for a toyota.
Old 04-13-10, 05:42 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota>Nissan :P